Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Breeding season - Suckler cows

• 11-05-2011 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭

How is everyone getting on this year? I seem to be catching my cows allot easier. I have all 11 cows bulled with one heifer that I haven’t seen in heat yet. Only 6 have gone past the 3 weeks are in calf hopefully but if the rest hold I will have all the cows calved between the 1st week in Jan to the 3rd week in Feb. That is much better than this year where the calving season went from the 1st week in Jan to the last week in March. I don’t know how they are coming in heat quicker this year than any other year but if they prove in calf it will be great to have a bunch of calves all around the one age. It will be interesting to see if the last few cows prove in calf. They were only calved approx 45 days at the time of A.I. Interestingly I have not had any repeats yet either this year. Maybe the minerals they got over the winter helped?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

The good weather has to have been a factor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

RobinBanks wrote: »
    How is everyone getting on this year? I seem to be catching my cows allot easier. I have all 11 cows bulled with one heifer that I haven’t seen in heat yet. Only 6 have gone past the 3 weeks are in calf hopefully but if the rest hold I will have all the cows calved between the 1st week in Jan to the 3rd week in Feb. That is much better than this year where the calving season went from the 1st week in Jan to the last week in March. I don’t know how they are coming in heat quicker this year than any other year but if they prove in calf it will be great to have a bunch of calves all around the one age. It will be interesting to see if the last few cows prove in calf. They were only calved approx 45 days at the time of A.I. Interestingly I have not had any repeats yet either this year. Maybe the minerals they got over the winter helped?

you're doing very well!

I tried one at 35 days calved this year too but she repeated, kept 2nd time round alright- I couldn't believe she was actually bulling as others hadn't calved in field with her, I only tried her as Ai man was coming anyway to do another one! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 48 theMountain

The same pattern happening to me, the last 4 cows bulled were only calved around 6 weeks. I put it down to a bit of extra feeding ( rolled barley) I had been given them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

I had one cow come bulling exactly 2 weeks after a difficulty calving (I lost the calf- first ever). Couldn't believe it. I think the fine weather has a big effect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

pakalasa wrote: »
    I think the fine weather has a big effect.

Me too.
    Can't beat plenty of daylight and decent temps.

Pakalasa, You were on some run never to have lost a calf. Suppose it was always going to happen at some stage but hopefully you will get straight back on track. No matter how hard you try we all lose ther odd one.
    Onwards and upwards!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

pakalasa wrote: »
    I had one cow come bulling exactly 2 weeks after a difficulty calving (I lost the calf- first ever). Couldn't believe it. I think the fine weather has a big effect.

the fact that she lost the calf ment she would cycle alot quicker.
    2wks is very quick alright though. well done

I have seen a good few of our cows not cycling till 10weeks post calving. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

any of the suckler men noticed the cold harsh wet weather that we've been having has slowed them down a bit coming bulling?:mad:

Advertisement