Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aggressive goose

• 11-05-2011 10:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 230 ✭✭

I thought people on this forum mite have experience on this. I have a female embden goose, which has started laying in the past few weeks. She lives w half a dozen ducks and shares a filed w half a dozen hens too. I have two small children and up until recently, she was happy enuff to let the kids pet her. Only recenetly, tho, she has got v aggressive, now chasing anyone under 4' ft (any of the small kids) and knocking them over and biting. I dont want to have to get rid of her, but whats happening??? is it temporary? is it cos its breeding season?? if so, how long is 'breeding season'? any advise would be great cos i dont like to think of having to watch the kids every time they go out into the garden

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

on a side note ds was attacked by a rooster we just got yesterday... scraped the face of him, cock is now dead. would ds need a tetanus injection , he is only 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭what happen

whelan1 wrote: »
    on a side note ds was attacked by a rooster we just got yesterday... scraped the face of him, cock is now dead. would ds need a tetanus injection , he is only 3
    yes he would you dont know what the rooster could have.i got attacked by a rooster on the lower leg and it was very sore.

asked doctor the mmr vaccines etc have tetnus in them so he's covered... this was the secong time he was attacked by a rooster:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Storminateacup

what the hell is ds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 347 ✭✭haybob

Ding Dong wrote: »
    I thought people on this forum mite have experience on this. I have a female embden goose, which has started laying in the past few weeks. She lives w half a dozen ducks and shares a filed w half a dozen hens too. I have two small children and up until recently, she was happy enuff to let the kids pet her. Only recenetly, tho, she has got v aggressive, now chasing anyone under 4' ft (any of the small kids) and knocking them over and biting. I dont want to have to get rid of her, but whats happening??? is it temporary? is it cos its breeding season?? if so, how long is 'breeding season'? any advise would be great cos i dont like to think of having to watch the kids every time they go out into the garden

Might go of her when she stops laying, had a gander that was as good as a rottweiler for watching the place, dogs, bulls he wasn't afraid of much

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭homolumo

what the hell is ds

Nintendo handheld or dear son...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Ding Dong wrote: »

In my experience, you can rename the thread to Goose. I never met an unaggressive one.

homolumo wrote: »
    Nintendo handheld or dear son...
    sorry too used to my mumsy forums:D ds is darling son , dd is darling daughter and dh/ oh is darling husband or other half depending on the mood:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

whelan1 wrote: »
    sorry too used to my mumsy forums:D ds is darling son , dd is darling daughter and dh/ oh is darling husband or other half depending on the mood:o

Surprised you didn't do the Irish Mammy thing, and smack him for annoying the rooster.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

IMO Children and domestic fowl do not mix well. I have a cousin who was attacked by angry hens when he was a child. They are best kept completely away from small children. Naturally, all animals will be more aggressive and protective when they have laid eggs/given birth as they are trying to protect their own young, just as we humans would do.

Farms are quite dangerous places in many ways for children and this should never be taken for granted.

I myself was chased by an angry flock of geese when down on the River Shannon on holidays as a child back in the late 80s. I narrowly avoided having to jump into the river near Meelick lock!:eek::D

Geese make great guard animals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37 OnTheGame

Ive always been weary of geese. I think most people have been chased by them at one stage but recent years ive always said ill stand my ground next time. Ive never encountered one since i was a child and completely understand the OPs Point of view from a child saftety perspective. What will they actually do if you stand your ground and also... will a swift kick not deter them? All jokes aside...

Advertisement