Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for mATX Motherboard reccommendations

Options
  • 11-05-2011 10:59am
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hello all,

I'm giving thought to an upgrade with Battlefield 3 approaching (although if the rumours are to be believed, it won't require a serious heavyweight to run it). So, I'm not in any rush, but have some specifics I'd like to get...

I have the Nzxt Rogue mATX case. Now, it's not that a small case really, but it's a lot easier to lug around to LANs than a full tower. It also means that a gigantic dual chip video card won't fit :)

I'm looking mainly for a decent motherboard with 2 PCIe X 16 slots so that I can SLi/Crossfire. I'm not fussy if it's Intel or AMD as my current board (Asus P5E-VM HDMI) is a socket 775 and so I'll be effectively building a whole new machine with only my case, power supply (Seasonic M12-700) and hard drives (although, I'm toying with the idea of an SSD for the OS, but it's WAY down on the priorities) making the transition to whatever this new machine will be. I will state that if it came down to the crunch, I'd probably go for an AM3 board over an Intel mainly because of price - the machine will need to be a high performer, but it doesn't need to be a monster.

Budget on the mobo - let's call it "around €100" and we'll see where we go from there. If needs be, I will spend more. Since I'm not buying it this week, if anyone's aware of something new on the horizon, I'll be able to start putting aside the finds for that :)

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

*bump*

Nothing at all? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

Kharn wrote: »
    Hello all,

I'm giving thought to an upgrade with Battlefield 3 approaching (although if the rumours are to be believed, it won't require a serious heavyweight to run it). So, I'm not in any rush, but have some specifics I'd like to get...

I have the Nzxt Rogue mATX case. Now, it's not that a small case really, but it's a lot easier to lug around to LANs than a full tower. It also means that a gigantic dual chip video card won't fit :)

I'm looking mainly for a decent motherboard with 2 PCIe X 16 slots so that I can SLi/Crossfire. I'm not fussy if it's Intel or AMD as my current board (Asus P5E-VM HDMI) is a socket 775 and so I'll be effectively building a whole new machine with only my case, power supply (Seasonic M12-700) and hard drives (although, I'm toying with the idea of an SSD for the OS, but it's WAY down on the priorities) making the transition to whatever this new machine will be. I will state that if it came down to the crunch, I'd probably go for an AM3 board over an Intel mainly because of price - the machine will need to be a high performer, but it doesn't need to be a monster.

Budget on the mobo - let's call it "around €100" and we'll see where we go from there. If needs be, I will spend more. Since I'm not buying it this week, if anyone's aware of something new on the horizon, I'll be able to start putting aside the finds for that :)

If your upgrading with battlefield 3 in mind you would be better off waiting until closer too the time as with the release of ivybridge and bulldozer it will drop the prices of the likes of sandybridge and am3 so you would have a much better selection. Thats what i'm doing myself as i'm looking too build an itx rig for the same reason.

Advertisement