Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone been to Vietnam?

• 11-05-2011 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭

Just wondering has anyone any suggestions on things to do / or don't do in Vietnam?

If flying next week to Ho Chi Minh for 3 weeks and while I've traveled alot of SE Asia already (Laos, Cambodia, etc) theres always so do's and don't you never hear about so heres your chance if you've been.

Heres hoping so good ideas come my way:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

I've never been there myself, but am interested in going and have read a bit about it. The thing that stood out most to me is crossing the road. Looks scary as hell. There is a good few vids on Youtube about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Limerick91

Spent a week in Vietnam back in 2005.

Did not think much of Saigon but Hue and Ho Chi Minh were excellent.

Would certainly recommend Mekong Delta tour and Chu Chi tunnels tour.

Air fares are cheap between cities, the trains are very slow and not very confortable.

You can do motorcycle tours from Hue to all the surrounding areas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭IK09

hey jules,

never been but going in a month. heres a great site on everything you need to know about se asia rail.

http://www.seat61.com

Ive heard so many mixed reports of everywhere in vietnam. im looking forward to saigon the most:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Lustrum

Spent a month there last year, absolutely loved it! Some people say that they find the Vietnamese quite rude and aggressive when they're trying to sell you stuff, but we had a great time bargaining with them, it even turned into a friendly slagging match a few times before always finishing with a smile, they're a great bunch as long as you have the right attitude.

Ho Chi Minh City was brilliant, there's just constant energy and great food to be had around the market in the evenings. Cu Chi tunnels is a must, and if you're up for it, you can have a go shooting a bazooka or AK47. Hoi-an is a must, if you want to get some clothes made this is the place to do it, and it's a stunningly beautiful town. The last Friday of every month (if you can plan it) the have a lantern festival, where all the lights along the canal get turned off and the locals put candles floating on the canal, it's a beautiful sight. There's also a great beach near Hoi-an, rent yourself a bike and cycle out because the countryside is lovely too and there's a cool little locals market in a tiny village on the way out.

The missus went diving in Nha Trang, she said that was great too. There's cool mud baths in Da Nang (I think it was, or else in Nha Trang aswell), Hue is worth a day or two to visit the imperial city, and Hanoi is a winner too for it's atmosphere (similar to HCMC, it's great craic crossing the road).

The easy riders tours from Hue are highly recommended, but we thought they were quite expensive so didn't do them but have never heard a bad word about it. Same goes for Sapa, supposed to be lovely but quite touristy (depending on who you talk to).

And finally, if you don't go to Halong Bay for at least 1 night, if not 2, I will hunt you down and punish you! It is simply breathtaking, enough said.

Bargain for everything, have a smile for everyone, and most importantly have fun, it's a bloody great place!

I'd honestly just buy a motorbike the day you land in Saigon and start driving North. I did 2 months of it last year and it's easily the best thing I've done with my life.
    If not, then Lustrum's post sums it up fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Limerick91 wrote: »
    Did not think much of Saigon but Hue and Ho Chi Minh were excellent.
    Did ya mean to say Hanoi instead of....??

Pretty much agree with all said here, CuChi tunnels, Hoi-An, motorcycling, mud baths near Nha Trang, etc.

Don't travel by plane - the train might be slow but what's the hurry?? You'll see a lot more of the country this way.

Ha Long bay trip a MUST.....but beware, you do get what you pay for - although paying over the odds doesn't neccessarily guarantee luxury either.

Oh and try sample the local cuisine - it does actually vary travelling North to South - and Vietnamese iced coffee with condensed milk....mmm...lovely

Advertisement