Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Common "beliefs" that annoy you

• 11-05-2011 11:29am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭

Well what are yours?
    You know what i mean, things you read about in the press and see on TV that annoy the fúck out of you.

Currently annoying me is the belief that Chelsea need width to provide for Fernando Torres, otherwise he is useless in that team. He never had any great supply from wide when he was at Liverpool, or Atleti from what i can recall.

That and the belief that Martin O'Neill is a world class manager.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Manchester United is on decline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭henke

The belief from some that Martin O'Neill isn't a world class manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

The belief from some that Martin O'Neill isn't a world class manager.

He isn't :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

That Busquets is a diver.

Essien wrote: »
    He isn't :confused:
    Haha it just a response to the original post. I agree he is not a world class manager but I think he is a decent manager.

Common belief that annoys me is whenever Liverpool hit a bit of form talk of being title contenders emerges. ie. whispers they can push for it next season after the good form of Dalglish. Top 4 for me is best they can hope for at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Haha it just a response to the original post. I agree he is not a world class manager but I think he is a decent manager.

Common belief that annoys me is whenever Liverpool hit a bit of form talk of being title contenders emerges. ie. whispers they can push for it next season after the good form of Dalglish. Top 4 for me is best they can hope for at the moment.

The belief that the minority of silly fans represent the vast majority of realistic fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Martin O'Neill is unemployed

Oh its gone out of fashion but it was a common belief that Kenny Dalglish was over the hill and his mangerial acumen was non existent.

Another that Manchester City will be unstoppable once they qualify for the Champions League.

That Stoke are cloggers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Good thread.

Victor Valdes is a rubbish keeper.

Every time Jose beats a half decent team it has to be "tactical genius" that won the day.:rolleyes:

Diving is a Latin football disease.

I'll think of more.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭hatz7

That Arsenal will mature as a team and win the EPL

mike65 wrote: »
    Martin O'Neill is unemployed

I think that ones true Mike

• Advertisement

hatz7 wrote: »
    That Arsenal will mature as a team and win the EPL
    Few actually believe that though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Essien wrote: »
    I think that ones true Mike

Thats the point, he's not world class - he's "resting" why so if he is world class?

eZe^ wrote: »
    That Busquets is a diver.

He has dived. It's more that people over look how good he is as a player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

"Chelsea are obsessed with winning the Champions League"

Surely every other team of that calibre who are competing in the Champions League every year has ambitions to win the fúcking thing :rolleyes:

----

"Weakest Man United squad for some time"

What a load of sh*t. They're cantering towards their 19th league title. If it was "weak" they'd surely be out of the top four and not challenging for anything".

----

"Ian Holloway - A breath of fresh air"

Fúck off. He's bitched and he's moaned and played that "oh woe is me card" one too many times this season. Absolute spoofer and got old very quickly.

----

"Arsenal... goalkeepers... blah blah blah"

Again, I think this is a load of sh*t. ALL goalkeepers make mistakes at times. Look at Gomes FFS. For some reason the focus seems to always be on Arsenal and their seemingly inept goalkeepers. :rolleyes:
    It's fashionable to have a dig at their keepers and is getting old and stale now.

----

"Stoke not playing the game in the right way"

It's effective isn't it? There's no proper way to play. They've secured yet another season of Premier League football with their style of play and have an FA Cup final to look forward to don't they?
    9 goals in their last 3 games must mean that they're doing something right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

That Arsenal play wonderful football.

No, they are frustrating and afraid of taking a pop at the goal from outside the box. Thankfully they have Van Persie who adds some balls to the team just for entertainment value.

The belief, though not as common as before, that Didier Drogba is just a "battering ram" center forward. I used to hear this quite a bit from commentators and pundits, his technical ability went almost unnoticed for a long time.

He has an excellent touch, he's a world class finisher from pretty much anywhere in or around the box and he's a cracking free kick taker. Imo his technical attributes are almost as impressive as his physical attributes, too bad he's as mad as a snake and spends half his time acting the bollox.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

That Harry Redknapp is a good manager.

Give me the money Spurs have spent over the last 5 years and I'll get you CL football every year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Harry Redknapp is a world class manager.

sorry, he's not.

zonal marking is the most retarded system in football.

eh, no it's not.

Europeans dive, and the English are playing for a foul.

eh no; all of it's cheating.

Mourinho sending his teams out to kick, contain and nick a goal is tactical genius.

definitely not.

Arsenal play the 'best' football in the Premier League.

these days, more often than not, eh, no they don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

When Rooney kicks the legs out from under someone or has a strop it's because of his 'love of the game'. But if a foreign player does it it's cynical, petulant and ruining the game.

Michael Essien is a defensive midfielder.

That Darron Gibson is rubbish and has nothing more than a powerful shot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

ManUtd signed Park to boost shirt sales in Asia. BS

Fletcher is an average player

This is Giggs's last season (Hearing it from past 3-4 years)

Bale is the best left winger in the world

Berbatov is lazy

Fergie has lost it

Messi fundamentally can't be the best player ever as he hasn't "done it" at a world cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭superfrank

Abramovich picks the Chelsea team..heard that around the time Torres was getting game time

Torres was an Abramovich Buy

A Major Squad Overhaul will take place, which is usually printed after losing a high profile game.

Arsenal will get better with age

Arsenal play the best football

Utd have an average squad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

That berbatov is muck

That Owen is well past it

That Torres is bet

That UTD just let Tevez walk

That every season for the last 5 has been giggs last

That scholes cant tackle

That Balotelli is a genius

That Rangers and Celtic are good enough for premier league

That Trig'd is dead

That JOSH is straight :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭bobmalooka

Its an 'Old Firm' problem, everytime Rangers are in trouble

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭NoelJ

Lucas is a terrible player.

Annoys me so much!! Only people who don't watch Liverpool think that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

racso1975 wrote: »

That Owen is well past it
    Owen is well past it. He was once one of the best strikers in Europe, he is undeniably no longer at that level
    racso1975 wrote: »
    That scholes cant tackle
    A myth which has annoyed me for years. Every time he makes a cynical foul its brushed aside by claiming "sure, he could never tackle".

Rafa Benitez is a great tactician and a good manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Brilliant thread.

That Darren Fletcher is a defensive midfielder.

That every youth player that looks good on a Saturday morning against Rotherham U-19's is the next re-incarnation of Gerogie Best, when in reality maybe 1 in a 100 make it.

That Fernando Torres moving to Chelsea was a bad move just because he isn't scoring goals.

That goals scored and assists are the only measure of how good a player is these days.

That Jimmy Bullard is a hilariously funny. No he's not, he's a greedy, tiresome journeyman who's ADHD antics wore thin a long time ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭micks

That Diving is cheating.

Its a foul, show me a defender that fouls less that an attacker dives,doesn't happen too often. Neither are parts of the game that anyone wants glorified but it seems ok, for example, for Vidic to pull Torres down as he breaks, yet if Torres dived he'd be slaughtered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Owen is well past it. He was once one of the best strikers in Europe, he is undeniably no longer at that level

A myth which has annoyed me for years. Every time he makes a cynical foul its brushed aside by claiming "sure, he could never tackle".

On the owen point maybe i should have worded that better he is certainly not the world class striker he was was but i suspect the knowledge he imparts to the younger members of UTD is huge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

That the American owners of Liverpool will build a new stadium.

One that was going on back around Christmas - That Blackool will not be relegated

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Im delighted this thread has lasted without an argument so far!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

That Michael Carrick is shît .

Honestly don't think we would be in Champions league final without him .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

Melion wrote: »
    Im delighted this thread has lasted without an argument so far!!!

That's just complete bulsh*it and you know it. Despicable comment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Man I hate all these beliefs that the 'experts' wheel out again and again no matter how circumstances change or how they may not actually be true.

Agree about the Arsenal goalkeepers. When arsenal lose a game, even if Szczesny(or whoever) has a great game and has been great all season, the pundits will come out with the same 'Arsenal need a goalkeeper' line.

One that I remember back when Rafa was at Liverpool was that whenever Liverpool conceded a goal it was always due to zonal marking.

Also that Sagna only had one good season and has become muck all of a sudden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

flahavaj wrote: »
    That goals scored and assists are the only measure of how good a player is these days.

****ing hell yes, YES!

now you've mentioned it this is my biggest pet peeve.

yesterday i heard Sturridge is better than Suarez purely because he's got more goals.

watch the games, then make a decision.

SlickRic wrote: »
    ****ing hell yes, YES!

now you've mentioned it this is my biggest pet peeve.

yesterday i heard Sturridge is better than Suarez purely because he's got more goals.

watch the games, then make a decision.

I've heard it used as a stick to beat Xavi with FFS. Unbelieveable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

That there is a massive conspiracy against Celtic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

Messi doesnt dive

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Bayner Munich are no great shakes and any EPL team good enough to get into the CL should on paper get past them handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

That there is a massive conspiracy against Celtic

Im not a Celtic fan but I think its fair to say they get some very rough treatment in the SPL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

That "pass completion rate" is something of a measuring stick to judge a player's worth.

Fúck the fúck off, I can pass a ball five yards sideways all day, doesn't make me Iniesta.

In fact, any clown who wheels out the "stats" argument is pretty much on quicksand when it comes to winning any football related argument "butbutbut the stats say otherwise", so ****ing what? Have you eyes in your head? He had a shít game, deal with it.

Boskowski wrote: »
    Bayner Munich are no great shakes and any EPL team good enough to get into the CL should on paper get past them handy.

This was certainly true this year anyway.

That Dirk Kuyt is a useless footballer who just runs and runs. - nonsense.

That Ronaldo and Messi are even comparable in any other way besides goalscoring - They're not. Messi's overall contributions to the team are massively better than Ronaldos.

That Sergio Ramos is "Paul McShane on steroids"

That Arry is a good manager. He's a chequebook manager. And he's English, and media friendly (when they aren't asking him about his wheeler dealings!:rolleyes:)

That Victor Valdés isn't a top quality goalkeeper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

That Barcelona are the second coming and all other styles of football are inferior. I hate the superiority complex of Barca fans who complain about "not being allowed" play. What, teams should just let you win because you play "beautiful" football? Snobbish, elitist bullshít.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Zlatan Ibrahimovic is an average player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

flahavaj wrote: »
    This was certainly true this year anyway.

No it wasn't. They had no sharpness for most of the season and they got caught for that by Inter - a team they had all but beat. But that doesn't mean that any EPL CL side would beat them handy - especially not Spurs or Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Des wrote: »
    That Barcelona are the second coming and all other styles of football are inferior. I hate the superiority complex of Barca fans who complain about "not being allowed" play. What, teams should just let you win because you play "beautiful" football? Snobbish, elitist bullshít.

Spot on, another one I hate is the claim that Barca are "more than a club"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

That Fabregas is going to Barcelona................:p

• Advertisement
Advertisement