Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Common "beliefs" that annoy you

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Revolution9

Glen Johnson is a terrible defender.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Spot on, another one I hate is the claim that Barca are "more than a club"

Isn't that a motto or something? Anyway, they are more than a "football" club, as a visit to their trophy room will show you, the club has teams competing in loads of sports around Europe.

Another one, recently peddled by FIFA, Football was invented in China.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Liverpool are special and to be a Liverpool supporter is different (as in special) from supporting any other team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Boskowski wrote: »
    No it wasn't. They had no sharpness for most of the season and they got caught for that by Inter - a team they had all but beat. But that doesn't mean that any EPL CL side would beat them handy - especially not Spurs or Arsenal.

They were miles off in the league too to be fair and have only started playing when it was way way too late. They beat United fair and square last season, but their defence was also exposed in doing so as being very very ordinary.

Fair enough its a stretch to say the English teams would beat them handy, but I do believe they're no great shakes either and certainly nothing to fear.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Messi >>>>>>>> Ronaldo. BS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭Twigster

That michael carrick is a good player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

If your from Cork you have to be Roy Keane supporter...What load of tosh.

That Arsenal play be far the best football bar Barca in Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

flahavaj wrote: »
    They were miles off in the league too to be fair and have only started playing when it was way way too late. They beat United fair and square last season, but their defence was also exposed in doing so as being very very ordinary.

Fair enough its a stretch to say the English teams would beat them handy, but I do believe they're no great shakes either and certainly nothing to fear.

I can subscribe to that. ;)

Twigster wrote: »
    That michael carrick is a good player.

Jesus not on boards.ie is that true anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭micks

Des wrote: »
    That "pass completion rate" is something of a measuring stick to judge a player's worth.

Fúck the fúck off, I can pass a ball five yards sideways all day, doesn't make me Iniesta.

In fact, any clown who wheels out the "stats" argument is pretty much on quicksand when it comes to winning any football related argument "butbutbut the stats say otherwise", so ****ing what? Have you eyes in your head? He had a shít game, deal with it.

As a wise man once said - Stats are for losers - results are for winners

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Harry Redknapp... Tactical genius.

BHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Refereeing decions even themselves out of the course of a season.

Patently not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭bobmalooka

keano_afc wrote: »
    Refereeing decions even themselves out of the course of a season.

Patently not true.
    did anyone else see what the EPL table would look like if referees could use video evidence?? cant find it at the moment.

I think Bolton were in the top 4 and Chelsea were about 7th

I'd love to see it again if anyone can find it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

That video evidence and goal line technology will ruin the game .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Zola as one of the greatest players ever in the Premiership.

The Makelele role...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

bullvine wrote: »
    Zola as one of the greatest players ever in the Premiership.

um, is he not?

bobmalooka wrote: »
    did anyone else see what the EPL table would look like if referees could use video evidence?? cant find it at the moment.

I think Bolton were in the top 4 and Chelsea were about 7th

I'd love to see it again if anyone can find it

I find it hard to believe that they analysed every dodgy decision in every single game played by every single team in order to come to that conclusion tbh. No doubt United were in the relegation zone.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Scottish and Spanish leagues are not competitive whereas the EPL anyone can win.

Ush1 wrote: »
    Scottish and Spanish leagues are not competitive whereas the EPL anyone can win.

There is less of a gulf between the top 2 in England and the rest in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

Spot on, another one I hate is the claim that Barca are "more than a club"

That one is more to do with Catalan nationalism than football. Its as complex, if not moreso, than the Irish situation. I remember cringing at Sky Sports' over simplification of it before the last leg of El Clasico.

• Advertisement

2 teams every year is fairly boring imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

That Messi could actually do it on a cold Tuesday night in Stoke..

There is less of a gulf between the top 2 in England and the rest in fairness.

Yeah but how many teams realistically have a chance to win the EPL each year? Don't say Arsenal or City, I'll just laugh.

SlickRic wrote: »
    um, is he not?

Hes not!

Hes not!

Zola was a class act in all fairness, I have never been a big Chelsea fan even in 90's but he was a joy to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Hes not!

not to derail the thread too much, but briefly explain.

without using his lack of league titles as a reason.

personally, that is the ONLY reason he wouldn't be in there.

the guy was incredible.

Yeah but how many teams realistically have a chance to win the EPL each year? Don't say Arsenal or City, I'll just laugh.

Nonetheless the gulf is less. There's at least a small possibility every year before Arsenal brown the pants. :pac:

Its also very likely that City will be genuine title contenders within the next year or two. I see no club in Spain showing any signs of stepping up - you have the likes of Valencia having to sell every Summer to stay afloat. Barca will raid Villareal for Rossi in the Summer too.

You don't see the hammerings being handed out to the 3rd and 4th place teams by the top 2 in England that have increasingly started to happen in La Liga. The gulf is ridiculous in Spain and ever-widening. There is a case to be made for it to be at least getting smaller in England IMO.

Zola was a class act in all fairness, I have never been a big Chelsea fan even in 90's but he was a joy to watch.

Don't get me wrong he was a very good player, especially when he was with Parma and his first half season with Chelsea but not in the way people go on about him especially the media, he had some average enough seasons prior to his last one when he was in fairness superb. Putting him in with the like of Cantona, Bergkamp, Henry, I find annoying as hell!!

Nonetheless the gulf is less. There's at least a small possibility every year before Arsenal brown the pants. :pac:

Its also very likely that City will be genuine title contenders within the next year or two. I see no club in Spain showing any signs of stepping up - you have the likes of Valencia having to sell every Summer to stay afloat. Barca will raid Villareal for Rossi in the Summer too.

You don't see the hammerings being handed out to the 3rd and 4th place teams by the top 2 in England that have increasingly started to happen in La Liga. The gulf is ridiculous in Spain and ever-widening. There is a case to be made for it to be at least getting smaller in England IMO.

....so your answer is???:)

....so your answer is???:)

Its far more likely that City or Arsenal will win the PL next year than Valencia or Villareal will win La Liga. The points gulf between them and their respective Top 2 teams illustrates the point well.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭henke

That England are one of the main contenders for the World Cup. (Seems to be a common belief in England every 4 years)

Its far more likely that City or Arsenal will win the PL next year than Valencia or Villareal will win La Liga. The points gulf between them and their respective Top 2 teams illustrates the point well.:)

Not what I asked though is it.:rolleyes:

This thread is epic!

The current Barca side are the best ever!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Glen Johnson is a terrible defender.

I think you misunderstood the OP!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

That Casillas is the best keeper in the world. Admittedly I don't watch him week in week out but I've seen him play a good bit by now and hes been poor on a few occasions, definitely think there's better keepers out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

The stuff harry redknapp gets away with really annoys me. At least football365 keep an eye on him:
    Another Day In The Life Of Teflon Harry
    On Monday the blame for Tottenham's failure to finish in the top four of the Premier League was laid squarely at the door of Manchester City's money, because of course City's ability to spend £130m on players in one summer was directly responsible for Spurs picking up just seven points out of a possible 24 against the top flight's four worst sides this season.

On Tuesday - after Tottenham were beaten 1-0 by City - Redknapp had found a new reason that definitely wasn't him: "If Bale hadn't got injured, I think we would have been very close. There is very little in it."

Because of course Player of the Year Bale was missing for Tottenham's early-season defeats against Wigan and West Ham and recent home draws with the Hammers and West Brom, wasn't he, Harry?

What's that? He played in all those games? And did the square root of f*** all?

In fact, when Bale got injured in January, Tottenham went on a run of three consecutive Premier League wins over Blackburn, Bolton and Sunderland.

Presumably, tomorrow Redknapp will blame Spurs' failure on the fact that Bale was available.

Not what I asked though is it.:rolleyes:

What you asked doesn't really do jutstice to the debate we're having though. People compare La Liga to Scotland a lot because of the fact that the top 2 are absoultely miles ahead of everyone else, to the extent that they often hammer the teams on 3rd and 4th. The gap between them is outrageous, Barca are 25 points ahead of 3rd and 30 ahead of 4th FFS.

I get your point that United have Chelsea have shared the league title for quite some time now, but it is possible to acknowledge this and still accept that their dominance over the rest of the league is nowhere near as great as that enjoyed by Barca and Real. City are on the rise fast and will be challenging sooner rather than later. Games betwen the top 4 are generally competitive and the points gap is far far less than that in Spain. The gap is much smaller between the top 2 and the rest ans is likely to close a lot more in coming years with liverpool having their sh*t in order, City having huge spending power and Arsenal and Spurs there or there abouts. In Spain on the other hand, I can't see that gap closing anytime soon. The Big Two are on another planet in just about every aspect from squad size, to income to prestige and spending power.

In short, answering your question doesn't really lend the topic the depth of analysis that is required to truly get a picture of the state of the two leagues. If you think a similar gap betwen the top 2 and the rest in England and Spain exists then you're deluded.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭stevejr

That Eamonn Dunphy and Johnny Giles have a clue what they're on about.

They're like Statler and Waldorf!

What's the reason for being reasonable?

Is that an unreasonable question?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

MR NINE wrote: »
    hes been poor on a few occasions,
    name a keeper who hasn't, please.
    definitely think there's better keepers out there.

Who?

• Advertisement

What you asked doesn't really do jutstice to the debate we're having though. People compare La Liga to Scotland a lot because of the fact that the top 2 are absoultely miles ahead of everyone else, to the extent that they often hammer the teams on 3rd and 4th. The gap between them is outrageous, Barca are 25 points ahead of 3rd and 30 ahead of 4th FFS.

I get your point that United have Chelsea have shared the league title for quite some time now, but it is possible to acknowledge this and still accept that their dominance over the rest of the league is nowhere near as great as that enjoyed by Barca and Real. City are on the rise fast and will be challenging sooner rather than later. Games betwen the top 4 are generally competitive and the points gap is far far less than that in Spain. The gap is much smaller between the top 2 and the rest ans is likely to close a lot more in coming years with liverpool having their sh*t in order, City having huge spending power and Arsenal and Spurs there or there abouts. In Spain on the other hand, I can't see that gap closing anytime soon. The Big Two are on another planet in just about every aspect from squad size, to income to prestige and spending power.

In short, answering your question doesn't really lend the topic the depth of analysis that is required to truly get a picture of the state of the two leagues. If you think a similar gap betwen the top 2 and the rest in England and Spain exists then you're deluded.

So because Man United and Chelsea can't hammer teams it's discernably more competitive? Which Chelsea actually were doing last season, Wigan 8 nil I recall among others. 7 nils etc...

The reality is a Man United widely thought of as fairly average side by their standards has comfortably won the league yet again.

You can waffle on all you like about City but it's speculation. Reality is 2 teams have a realistic chance of winning all 3 leagues.

If you want to argue competitiveness, at least Spain can often throw other teams into European competition and they can actually do well. How long was the top four a sure thing in England?

Deluded indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

The "last man" interpretation of the rule about denying a clear goalscoring opportunity.

That playing extra time in one leg of a two-legged tie is fair on the team at home because they get an extra 30 minutes of home advantage.

That only one man is needed to play a player onside.

The worldwide pro-Barcelona conspiracy that existed as soon as Mourinho mentioned it 2 weeks ago.

That Harry Redknapp is a good judge of player/wheeler dealer.

European Cups won before the Champions' League format are less important than Champions' League era titles.

That Rafa Benitez's net spend.... actually, better not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭stevejr

The reality is a Man United widely thought of as fairly average side by their standards has comfortably won the league yet again.

Define comfortably....

What's the reason for being reasonable?

Is that an unreasonable question?

Jesus not on boards.ie is that true anyway
    That Michael Carrick is shît .

Honestly don't think we would be in Champions league final without him .

Honestly he's had a handful of decent games it just so happened that most of them were CL games including against chelsea. But most of the time he squanders possession and is unable to pass forward.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

If a player is tall and well built he's not supposed to be skillful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Major case of folie à deux or folie à plusieurs in this case.

• Advertisement

stevejr wrote: »
    Define comfortably....

com·fort·a·ble (kubreve.gifmprime.giffschwa.gifr-tschwa.gif-bschwa.gifl, kubreve.gifmfprime.giftschwa.gif-bschwa.gifl, kubreve.gifmfprime.giftschwa.gifr-)
    adj. 1. Providing physical comfort: a comfortable chair.
    2. Free from stress or anxiety; at ease: not comfortable about the interview.
    3. Producing feelings of ease or security: a comfortable person; a comfortable evening at home.
    4. Sufficient to provide financial security: comfortable earnings.

comprime.giffort·a·ble·ness n.
    comprime.giffort·a·bly adv.
    Synonyms: comfortable, cozy, snug1, restful
    These adjectives mean affording ease of mind or body. Comfortable implies the absence of sources of pain or distress: wears comfortable clothes.
    The word may also suggest peace of mind: felt comfortable with the decision.
    Cozy suggests homey and reassuring ease: sat in a cozy nook near the fire.
    Snug brings to mind the image of a warm, secure, compact shelter: children snug in their beds.
    Restful suggests a quiet conducive to tranquillity: spent a restful hour reading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Twigster wrote: »
    Honestly he's had a handful of decent games it just so happened that most of them were CL games including against chelsea. But most of the time he squanders possession and is unable to pass forward.

One of Carrick's main attributes is his range of passing, to say he cannot pass is ludicrous.
    Yes he has had an extended poor spell but his games against Chelsea, etc. were not lucky, Michael Carrick is given a particular job on the pitch, it is not the most entertaining job, but he is good at it.

So because Man United and Chelsea can't hammer teams it's discernably more competitive? Which Chelsea actually were doing last season, Wigan 8 nil I recall among others. 7 nils etc...

The 25-30 point gap back to 3rd and 4th suggests there is a bigger gulf between the top 2 and the rest, yes. you'll get the odd big hammering in every league every season. Its worrying when the top 2 start hammering the other CL teams however.

It wasn't comfortable from where I'm sitting! Its also beside the point. The point being debated is the gap between the top 2 and the rest.
    You can waffle on all you like about City but it's speculation. Reality is 2 teams have a realistic chance of winning all 3 leagues.
    Realistically its pretty likely City's financial prowess will have them challenging sooner rather than later. I see no one in Spain stepping up to the mark anytime soon. Obviously any point being made about the future has an element of speculation about it, but i think most resonable analysis will come to the same conclusion.
    If you want to argue competitiveness, at least Spain can often throw other teams into European competition and they can actually do well. How long was the top four a sure thing in England?

I'm not arguing performance in Europe, I'm arguing the gap between Barca/Madrid and the rest. Stop moving the goalposts - its as transparent a tactic as pushing people to answer your questions like a court barrister so as to twist the debate in your favour.

Look at the original point I made, and stick to debating that. Cheers. You've really supplied nothing to duspute my statement that there is a wider gap between the top 2 in Spain and the rest and the top 2 in England and the rest. Because you can't.

killwill wrote: »
    One of Carrick's main attributes is his range of passing, to say he cannot pass is ludicrous.
    Yes he has had an extended poor spell but his games against Chelsea, etc. were not lucky, Michael Carrick is given a particular job on the pitch, it is not the most entertaining job, but he is good at it.

Well maybe it's a form thing or confidence, yes he can pick out a pass occasionally, but look at the amount of times he'll have a look then turn around and give the ball to defence or keeper. I was suprised he was still there this season given the amount of game time he got after the games against bayern towards the end of last season. An extended run of bad form followed by a couple of decent performances could also be described as a bad player who's had a couple of decent performances depending on your perspective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭henke

That Lucas is actually a good player now just because his form has improved.

• Advertisement
Advertisement