Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Common "beliefs" that annoy you

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

That Chelsea have no History ,

Every club has history , alright Chelsea's may not be as decorated as some but that does not make Chelsea any less of a club today !

I used to get taunted in particular from the mates that support Liverpool about how the club had no history or soul, What a load of Clap trap !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭stumpypeeps

Fuhrer wrote: »
    The pressure wasnt really on in the Champions League final?

I'm not getting into this whole debate again but suffice to say, its United fans that are always at pains to defend Ronaldo.

IMHO, he fails to produce his best form when it matters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,053 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

flahavaj wrote: »
    No worse than anyone else on his team really.
    So in other words his standard of play dropped down to their level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

I'm not getting into this whole debate again but suffice to say, its United fans that are always at pains to defend Ronaldo.

IMHO, he fails to produce his best form when it matters.

Or is it more that non-United fans like to stick the knife in.....

eugeneious wrote: »
    In that case I suppose there is not a single Real Madrid player who is a big game player.

He's the only one who cost £80 million. He should be expected to do better. He didn't do much against Liverpool in any of the games he played either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Cristiano Ronaldo is a big game player.

He sure is

Add those to a goal in the FA cup final, goals in the League Cup final, last 16 CL winner v Lyon, vital penalty against Wigan on last day of season to help win PL, one of Portugal's best player during World Cup '06 where they made it to the semi finals.

I'm sure there's plenty more but keep banging that drum though.

Or is it more that non-United fans like to stick the knife in.....

We've had this debate before. I won it hands down IIRC. :D

We've had this debate before. I won it hands down IIRC. :D

This in itself is a common belief that annoys me.:pac:

When you started quoting Johnnie Giles, who has probably seen Ronaldo play twice in the past three years you lost all credibility tbh.

Its not a common belief thing but somebody putting up multiple youtubes to try and prove a point really grates me sometimes. Its like talking stats all day everyday. All you are doing is showing a moment in a game. It doesn't show how the player did over the entire game.

This in itself is a common belief that annoys me.:pac:

When you started quoting Johnnie Giles, who has probably seen Ronaldo play twice in the past three years you lost all credibility tbh.

Johnnie Giles is infallible. Just like the pope. Questioning him is blasphemy.

The only reason United fans dislike him is because he is sometimes critical of United. That is something United fans are unable to digest. Criticism of anyone connected with United is not allowed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

"Man. City and Chelsea have just bought their success" - other wealthy club fan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

The only reason United fans dislike him is because he is sometimes critical of United. That is something United fans are unable to digest. Criticism of anyone connected with United is not allowed.

I am United fan and I like Giles and even read his book too. He had his views fair enough.

But what sumed up an ABU more then anything for me was the day Ronaldo signed for Madrid. I got texts about how United were gone etc and yet when he wore the United jersey all I ever got of them was he overrated and ****e etc.

Amazing

Rubbish. Sure United fans are constantly critical of United more than most!

Giles is a dinosaur who makes no attempt to research the games he's covering, and doesn't even bother to hide the fact that he hasn't researched them. I doubt he's watched a game outside the EPL or major CL games in decades. He does offer some decent insight into the fundamentals of the game, but when it comes to specifics he's sorely lacking. He can't even name the players on the picth half the time FFS. Shockingly unprofessional.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

That Wenger has a good record in the transfer market.

Go on I'll take the bait, please expand on this?

I'll start you off with :

Viera
    Petit
    Overmars
    Anelka
    Henry
    Campbell
    Pires
    Ljundberg
    Wiltord
    Flamini
    Adebayor
    Toure
    RVP
    Fabregas
    Ramsey
    Sagna
    Clichy
    Vermaelan

That list is just off the top of my head, this combined with the fact that he continously has a nett profit on tranfers year in year out.

Arsene has weaknesses like all managers but to dispute he's transfer market record is way off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Go on I'll take the bait, please expand on this?

I'll start you off with :

Viera
    Petit
    Overmars
    Anelka
    Henry
    Campbell
    Pires
    Ljundberg
    Wiltord
    Flamini
    Adebayor
    Toure
    RVP
    Fabregas
    Ramsey
    Sagna
    Clichy
    Vermaelan

That list is just off the top of my head, this combined with the fact that he continously has a nett profit on tranfers year in year out.

Arsene has weaknesses like all managers but to dispute he's transfer market record is way off.

I think you win that one. In fairness it is what Wenger is good at if honest. He has picked some fantatsic players, NO manager gets it right all the time be in now or in past.

Rubbish. Sure United fans are constantly critical of United more than most!

Giles is a dinosaur who makes no attempt to research the games he's covering, and doesn't even bother to hide the fact that he hasn't researched them. I doubt he's watched a game outside the EPL or major CL games in decades. He does offer some decent insight into the fundamentals of the game, but when it comes to specifics he's sorely lacking. He can't even name the players on the picth half the time FFS. Shockingly unprofessional.

Yeah but nobody else is allowed to be critical or there ABU's or cretins etc.

Johnnie Giles has probably watched Ronaldo 50 times. He's more than capable of delivering a credible verdict on him as a player. Certainly more credible than United fan boys.

It really depends on you motivation for being critical at the end of the day. In a lot of cases the criticism is based on blind hate rather than rational analysis. I (and any sensile Utd fan) have no problem with the latter, but the former is laughable and not even worthy of acknowledging.
    Johnnie Giles has probably watched Ronaldo 50 times. He's more than capable of delivering a credible verdict on him as a player. Certainly more credible than United fan boys.

How many times in the Madrid jersey has he seen him do you reckon? I'd say outside a handful of CL games, very little. So his opinion of him is as outdated as his research routine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

He's more able to give a verdict from watching him 50 times? Than united fans who will have watched him play almost every match for us when he was here?

Johnny giles is like the rest of that panel, professional trolls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,376 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

'Wenger being good in the transfer market' and 'Cristiano Ronaldo is not a big game player', IMO, are two posts not really worth arguing through.

you could go through mountains of Wenger purchases that have been astounding.

that argument has no basis really.

and you could go through probably a dozen 'big' games where Ronaldo showed up just fine (we should define big game, but that's a whole other argument).

the Copa del Rey Final being the most recent where he was the best player on the pitch.

plus the second leg of the CL semi in Camp Nou. if Higuain's goal had have stood, we'd have been lauding an imperious turn, assist, and perhaps, momentum changing moment.

compared to Messi, he's maybe not done it as often. but that's it. and Messi, as we all know, has no equal right now in terms of all-round player.

he may be selfish at times. he may throw a strop. he may píss us all off more often than not. but Ronaldo is a big game player. end of, IMO.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    He's more able to give a verdict from watching him 50 times? Than united fans who will have watched him play almost every match for us when he was here?

Johnny giles is like the rest of that panel, professional trolls.
    If you think you know more than professional pundits who have played for top clubs and are intelligent and insightful like Giles, then send your CV to RTE lad and see what your response is.

The rest of us, will take Giles' opinion on football matters seriously. Alot of fanboyism going on here.

• Advertisement

DB10 wrote: »
    If you think you know more than professional pundits who have played for top clubs and are intelligent and insightful like Giles, then send your CV to RTE lad and see what your response is.

The rest of us, will take Giles' opinion on football matters seriously. Alot of fanboyism going on here.

Never said I knew more than them, but he talks an awful amount of shít, and the logic that he knows better than everyone because he has played is naive to say the least.

Fanboyism? Could you throw out an example, because it just looks like you're just using the word for the sake of it.

It really depends on you motivation for being critical at the end of the day. In a lot of cases the criticism is based on blind hate rather than rational analysis. I (and any sensile Utd fan) have no problem with the latter, but the former is laughable and not even worthy of acknowledging.

How many times in the Madrid jersey has he seen him do you reckon? I'd say outside a handful of CL games, very little. So his opinion of him is as outdated as his research routine.

I don't see how that matters. Scoring a hat trick against Almeria proves nothing. Performing well in the Champions league against your biggest rivals is what its all about.

I missed the Copa Del Rey final but in the other el Clasico's he was awful.

Lets just close the while forum down in the light of the retarded logic displayed in this post.

There is nothing wrong with expecting a guy who is paid taxpayer's hard earned cash to analyse football games to actually go and do a bit of research before he appears on TV. He was calling Gareth Bale England's best left back as recently as last Summer FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭eugeneious

The reason I wrote Wenger not being good in the transfer market is because of his recent signings i.e Arshavin, Koscienly, Squillaci. I agree he has made some great signings but in the last 5 years his record in the transfer market isn't the best and I do think he gets an easier ride then most when one of his signings doesn't work out. I should've probably worded my opinion differently because I do agree that he has signed some wonderful players for next to nothing but in the last 5 years or so you have to question his record.

I don't see how that matters. Scoring a hat trick against Almeria proves nothing. Performing well in the Champions league against your biggest rivals is what its all about.

Of course it f*cking matters, if he has only seen the guy play once or twice in three years he's not qualified to comment on him.

if I was arguing about how good Ronaldo was and it transpired I'd only seen him play a handful of games in three years I'd be laughed off the forum, and rightly so.

This is poor stuff stumpy.

Lets just close the while forum down in the light of the retarded logic displayed in this post.

There is nothing wrong with expecting a guy who is paid taxpayer's hard earned cash to analyse football games to actually go and do a bit of research before he appears on TV. He was calling Gareth Bale England's best left back as recently as last Summer FFS.

Compared to other pundits on English channels or even on RTE, Giles is top of the tree. Sadlier is good as well.

As for your preaching about taxpayers money, :rolleyes:. Bit of respect for a legend like Giles wouldn't go a miss. He's older now, and still more up to date than half the bumbling buffons offering an opinion.

If you dont like your sweeties do you complain about paying VAT....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭eugeneious

In fairness he was hardly going to set the world alight with the tactics Mourinho played and the fact that in football you generally need the other players in your team to play some what well in order to have a good game especially against a team like Barcelona, I can't think of too many Real Madrid players who played well in those games so it would have been very difficult for Ronaldo to have a great game. And to say he was awful is very harsh IMO.

Of course it f*cking matters, if he has only seen the guy play once or twice in three years he's not qualified to comment on him.

if I was arguing about how good Ronaldo was and it transpired I'd only seen him play a handful of games in three years I'd be laughed off the forum, and rightly so.

This is poor stuff stumpy.

He's seen him play twice in the last 3 weeks. Is that current enough?

Compared to other pundits on English channels or even on RTE, Giles is top of the tree. Sadlier is good as well.

As for your preaching about taxpayers money, :rolleyes:. Bit of respect for a legend like Giles wouldn't go a miss. He's older now, and still more up to date than half the bumbling buffons offering an opinion.

Giles top of the ladder?

Jesus christ.

School definitely is out.

• Advertisement

I think you win that one. In fairness it is what Wenger is good at if honest. He has picked some fantatsic players, NO manager gets it right all the time be in now or in past.
    He is good at picking up everything except goalkeepers and centre backs.

The reason I wrote Wenger not being good in the transfer market is because of his recent signings i.e Arshavin, Koscienly, Squillaci. I agree he has made some great signings but in the last 5 years his record in the transfer market isn't the best and I do think he gets an easier ride then most when one of his signings doesn't work out. I should've probably worded my opinion differently because I do agree that he has signed some wonderful players for next to nothing but in the last 5 years or so you have to question his record.

I agree actually, based on the last 5 years his signings have been okay but not great.

Silvestre
    Squallaci
    Almunia
    Denilson - 4m
    Koscielny - 10m
    Arshavin - debatable
    Gallas + 5m for Ashley Cole :rolleyes:
    Baptista
    Diarra
    Amaury Bischoff

Some of them just were not upto scratch at all, and therefore some criticism is warranted.

This argument is akin to being the tallest man ina vuillage full of pygmies. No great victory.

20 years ago he still wasn't doing any research. Its got f*ck all to do with age, or whether he's a former player or a legend, its about him coming on TV every week and blatantly not bothering his hole to do a bit of research on any team that not in the EPL. The fact that TV Licence moeny goes towards paying him is very relevant.
    Grow up.

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    Giles top of the ladder?

Jesus christ.

School definitely is out.

90% of pundits are worse than Giles, so to target him, when others never research either, is sad and pathetic, and typical of the begrudgery in this country.

Schools out is it? You better start taking night classes so.

This argument is akin to being the tallest man ina vuillage full of pygmies. No great victory.

20 years ago he still wasn't doing any research. Its got f*ck all to do with age, or whether he's a former player or a legend, its about him coming on TV every week and blatantly not bothering his hole to do a bit of research on any team that not in the EPL. The fact that TV Licence moeny goes towards paying him is very relevant.

Grow up.

Its obvious you dislike Giles personally. He's paid to offer his thoughts on the game being broadcast. He's not paid to research European football to validate his opinion on a match he's watching.

Name one pundit who fulfills you're criteria?

Grow up.

Few begrudging United fans targeting a Leeds United legend, and Irish legend. Who would have guessed eh...:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Bertser

Man U fans saying Scholes isn't as bad a tackler as people make him out to be, to me he is one of the worst tacklers I've ever seen, people don't notice a foul from him more just because it's him, they notice the amount of fouls he makes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

I hate it when a team goes two/three nil down and the commentators are like "game over" Christ you would swear they never heard of Istanbul 2005...

Its obvious you dislike Giles personally. He's paid to offer his thoughts on the game being broadcast. He's not paid to research European football to validate his opinion on a match he's watching.

I bet he couldnt name one. It's a witchhunt on here. Giles has more knowledge in his little finger than half the pundits, and "wannabes pundits" on here.

He's seen him play twice in the last 3 weeks. Is that current enough?

Its nowhere near enough to make a definitive judgement of a player IMO.

It probably is however if you're one of these complete and utter morons that bases their opinions on the world of football entirely on what they see on the CL on RTE every couple of weeks.

Myself I prefer to form my opinions based on seeing players week in week out, rather than the odd two legged affair once or twice a season.

I would expect a well paid pundit to do the same.

It probably is however if you're one of these complete and utter morons that bases their opinions on the world of football entirely on what they see on the CL on RTE every couple of weeks.

Myself I prefer to form my opinions based on seeing players week in week out, rather than the odd two legged affair once or twice a season.

You dont even know how much he's paid?

Please tell us if you do, or else stop putting the man down because he earns more than you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

That England are one of the main contenders for the World Cup. (Seems to be a common belief in England every 4 years)

Make no mistake...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

That Manchester Utd -v- Liverpool, Real Madrid -v- Barca, etc... are derbies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Well when i started this thread, i never thought it would result in people defending a clueluess buffoon like John Giles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Redknapp, Dunphy, Dixon, Hansen, Shearer, Wilkins, Souness all fit the criteria, some more than others but it's clear they do research before analysing a match. We might not agree with every thing they say and some might have ridiculous opinions, but at least they do some basic research at the very least.

Can you honestly sit on front of your computer at home and deny that Giles struggles with this side of his punditry?

So you need a subscription to Sky, ESPN and Setanta or you're a moron. Your embarrassing yourself now.

Redknapp, Dunphy, Dixon, Hansen, Shearer, Wilkins, Souness all fit the criteria, some more than others but it's clear they do research before analysing a match. We might not agree with every thing they say and some might have ridiculous opinions, but at least they do some basic research at the very least.

Can you honestly sit on front of your computer at home and deny that Giles struggles with this side of his punditry?
    Are you kidding me?

Those guys clearly know very little outside the PL either.

Jamie Redknapp better than Giles, dear oh dear, where am I....:confused:

Its not about personal dislike. He seems like a very nice man. He's just lazy and unprofessional whe it comes to punditry.

There is a distinct lack of quality football pundits about at the moment. That in no way should be seen as a vindication of Giles and his laziness. Being lazy and unprofessional in a sea of mediocrity is embarrassing in itself.

Good pundits - Richie Sadlier, Steve McManaman, Gabrielle Marcotti, Dietmar Hamann, Sid Lowe have al struck me as above average in the last while.

The highlighted ones actually nicely disprove this load of absolute boll*x below btw.
    Few begrudging United fans targeting a Leeds United legend, and Irish legend. Who would have guessed eh...:rolleyes:

Redknapp, Dunphy, Dixon, Hansen, Shearer, Wilkins, Souness all fit the criteria, some more than others but it's clear they do research before analysing a match. We might not agree with every thing they say, but at least they do some basic research at the very least.

Lol. Wilkins and Redknapp? Sycophantic clowns.

90% of pundits are worse than Giles, so to target him, when others never research either, is sad and pathetic, and typical of the begrudgery in this country.

Schools out is it? You better start taking night classes so.

90% are better than him I would agree with.

By the looks of things today, you're just looking for arguments on here today, i'll leave you be :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

I hate it when a team goes two/three nil down and the commentators are like "game over" Christ you would swear they never heard of Istanbul 2005...

Yeah, but that is the exception, not the rule.

• Advertisement
Advertisement