Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Common "beliefs" that annoy you

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Jaysus. Pedantic Pat has nothing on you two.

I think he meant Athletic* not Athetic

Pedantic peter in the house :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

jive wrote: »
    I think he meant Athletic* not Athetic

Pedantic peter in the house :pac:

Lol, the irony. 'Pathetic':pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,038 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

The belief that some goalkeepers have that spitting on their gloves is gonna help them hold onto the ball better .

You need to keep the latex damp in order for the gloves to work properly. Dry latex will offer absolutely no grip. If you watch any professional goalkeepers they always have a bottle of water and a towel in the goal with them. If the gloves get too wet they need to wipe off excess water and if they are too dry they can use the water to dampen them (or just spit!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

pbowenroe wrote: »
    Are you serious? He's one of the worst on that Barcelona team.

Was a joke mate, Busquets' mentality is cringe at the best of times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

That Christiano Ronaldo scored X number of goals - from midfield!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Don't know if it's been mentioned but the myth that Keane ended Haaland's career always annoys me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Don't know if it's been mentioned but the myth that Keane ended Haaland's career always annoys me.

+1

and lot people seem to put the word "FACT" into their so called "Facts" which turn out to be total lies just look at any RK thread.

I would not say these annoy me more beliefs people have I find funny

Celtic have best fans in world
    Newcastle is big club
    LOI is ****

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 304 ✭✭WhiteRussian

Before the last World Cup I was so excited about how great it would be (couldn't remember the previous World Cups obviously). The group games were painfully boring to watch, such an anti-climax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

That Fabio Grosso is a great attacking fullback.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

+1

and lot people seem to put the word "FACT" into their so called "Facts" which turn out to be total lies just look at any RK thread.

I would not say these annoy me more beliefs people have I find funny

Newcastle is big club
    LOI is ****

I would agree with these especially the one in bold :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

The belief from some that Martin O'Neill isn't a world class manager.

He really isn't.
    Doing well in the Scottish Premier League and the lower half of the EPL does not make a manager world-class. In fact I would go as far as to say that it's insulting to those truly world-class managers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

He really isn't.
    Doing well in the Scottish Premier League and the lower half of the EPL does not make a manager world-class. In fact I would go as far as to say that it's insulting to those truly world-class managers.

MO'N is a class manager.

In saying that I was glad when he left Celtic, he has a lot of flaws as a manager and most of them had bubbled to the top when he decided to leave us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Newcastle is big club
    LOI is ****

Ah well, 2 out of 3 ain't bad.

Newcastle ain't a big club and the LoI is ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

+1

That any club have the best fans in the world.

That away goals count double.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

He really isn't.

It is he's achievements in Europe with Celtic and he's achievements with Leicster that mark him out as a very very good manager, what does 'world class' mean anyway?? Is their a cut off or something, like there can only be 10 world class managers at a time?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

That away goals count double.
    haha yeah. So a 3-2 win at home is actually a 3-4 loss... eh... :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Depends on what criteria you deem for a club to be big.

I think we're a big club but only in terms of the capacity our stadium can hold.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Batigol309

2-0 is a more dangerous lead than 1-0......

Cant understand that one...does my head in to be honest!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

The scottish league is no better than the League of Ireland. Just a bit more predictable.

The irony of Irish nationalists supporting a british club still amuses me by the way.;)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

That being a good player is some sort of qualification for being a manager.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

AgileMyth wrote: »
    The scottish league is no better than the League of Ireland. Just a bit more predictable.

The irony of Irish nationalists supporting a british club still amuses me by the way.;)

These two statements go top of the list imo comedy gold, good lad!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

That a team can "score TOO early". What a load of crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

He's just "shielding" the ball out of play.

No, he's f*cking obstructing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

keano_afc wrote: »
    That a team can "score TOO early". What a load of crap.

I actually think that is fairly accurate! :o

Ush1 wrote: »
    He's just "shielding" the ball out of play.

No, he's f*cking obstructing.

I agree with this. Anywhere else on the pitch its obstruction. The ball is there to be won, the "shielding" lark is against the rules. I cant even remember when this got accepted as normal, its completely illegal.

I guess it depends on whether the player is deemed to be in control of the ball or not. Players shield the ball all the time, all over the pitch. Of course they're usually touching it while they do it...

I guess it depends on whether the player is deemed to be in control of the ball or not. Players shield the ball all the time, all over the pitch. Of course they're usually touching it while they do it...

Its when 2 players run for a ball going out of play. I dont get why the "defending" player can obstruct his opponent to shepherd the ball out of play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Messi fundamentally can't be the best player ever as he hasn't "done it" at a world cup.

The belief that Messi is the best player in the world because he is the only great player you have ever seen play, and the only one you have ever been able to watch week in week out live through numerous cameras angles on the likes of Sky.

There were great players, even better, before the current crop and just because one hasn't seen them play doesn't "live" doesn't negate that fact.

People who claim that football is different and harder today because footballers are much faster and fitter nowadays, but neglect to factor in fact that what was considered a fair tackle years ago would now be straight red and suspendable offense and some of what went on would now be considered GBH.
    Liam O wrote: »
    Roy Keane made a comment yesterday and got slated. He is probably the most successful Irish player of all time and yet his opinion is crap but Giles is god's gift to punditry?

Giles was a better player and also not a quitter.
    Now I am going to head for me bunker. ;)
    That bringing in video technology for contentious decisions would slow the game down more then players haranguing the ref and linesmen for 5 mins everytime a decision doesn't go their way.

Ah but shure how else would UEFA/FIFA guarantee that certain teams won ?
    Morzadec wrote: »
    All British players are inherently more hard-working, passionate and spirited than others.

When discussing the possibility of Liverpool signing Downing, an English colleague of mine said:

'And he's English as well, which means he will track back' :rolleyes:

But they are and they are plucky, courageous and gracious in defeat :D

I am not allowed discuss …

jmayo wrote: »
    The belief that Messi is the best player in the world because he is the only great player you have ever seen play, and the only one you have ever been able to watch week in week out live through numerous cameras angles on the likes of Sky.

There were great players, even better, before the current crop and just because one hasn't seen them play doesn't "live" doesn't negate that fact.

People who claim that football is different and harder today because footballers are much faster and fitter nowadays, but neglect to factor in fact that what was considered a fair tackle years ago would now be straight red and suspendable offense and some of what went on would now be considered GBH.

How do you know who I have seen live?

And you've missed the point.

• Advertisement

Controlling the ball is the key, but sometimes they are more than their leg can reach away from the ball. At that point, it has to be obstruction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

All Newcastle fans think Newcastle should be in the CL.

Always gets on me tits!

keano_afc wrote: »
    Its when 2 players run for a ball going out of play. I dont get why the "defending" player can obstruct his opponent to shepherd the ball out of play.
    Controlling the ball is the key, but sometimes they are more than their leg can reach away from the ball. At that point, it has to be obstruction.
    I think it's a bit of a grey area and is difficult to legislate where shielding the ball ends and obstruction begins. You'll regularly see an attacking player leaning into a defender to protect the ball, and there are situations where the player doesn't even have to touch the ball to be considered in control of it. I don't think there's a clear answer - although you're right, being farther then ones' legs can reach could reasonably be considered a foul. I doubt the majority of the cases are like that though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Didnt he as good as? Haaland was about 28 at the time and never played a full game again?

Didnt he as good as? Haaland was about 28 at the time and never played a full game again?

no it was his other knee that made him quiet

How do you know who I have seen live?

And you've missed the point.

Sorry I am not having a go at you specifically, "you" could in my sentence could be "one".

I don't know who you have seen, but I can't see how anyone that saw Maradona, Pele play and what they did all the while having to deal with almost assaults from defenders, then claim that Messi is the greatest ?

I presume your point is that you claim he can still be the best player ever even though he hasn't done well at world cups ?
    An example of a great player that never even got to a major finals was George Best.
    Cryuff never won a world cup and didn't bother showing up for another, but he was still one of the best players ever.

If Messi leads fairly average good teams (country and club) to win the world cup and major leagues/trophies then one can claim he might be as good as Maradona.
    So far he hasn't achieved either of those feats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

All Newcastle fans think Newcastle should be in the CL.

Always gets on me tits!

Completely untrue.

There's a very very very small percentage that think the club is of the stature is was 8-10 years ago.
    98% of Newcastle United fans have been delighted with this season, and a mid-table finish will be a bonus.

We're nowhere near the Champions League, and won't be anytime soon.

And that, is the opinion of the majority of Toon fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Point proven.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

:
    Originally Posted by witnessmenow
    Point proven.

No. It was an injury to Haaland's other knee that caused him to retire.

Not the one Keane took out.

Sorry I am not having a go at you specifically, "you" could in my sentence could be "one".

I don't know who you have seen, but I can't see how anyone that saw Maradona, Pele play and what they did all the while having to deal with almost assaults from defenders, then claim that Messi is the greatest ?

Fair enough.
    I presume your point is that you claim he can still be the best player ever even though he hasn't done well at world cups ?
    An example of a great player that never even got to a major finals was George Best.
    Cryuff never won a world cup and didn't bother showing up for another, but he was still one of the best players ever.

Yes, that's exactly my point. Messi doesn't have to do diddly squat with Argentina to prove himself as one of the greats, he has already done that with his club. Let alone taking into consideration lunatic managers, short number of games and general poorer quality of current international football.
    If Messi leads fairly average good teams (country and club) to win the world cup and major leagues/trophies then one can claim he might be as good as Maradona.
    So far he hasn't achieved either of those feats.

I'm not a fan of the belief that you have to play with dogsh*t teams before you're considered good.

Team honours aside, just watching Messi is enough to recognise he is one of the greats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Keane hit his right knee. He retired over a problem with his left knee.
    The Norwegian international never played a full match again, and retired in 2003. In the end it was his left knee that wouldn't respond to surgery, but he always believed it was Keane's tackle on the right that did for him. Keane was fined.
    Haaland deliberately played up the fact that he never played another game again in an attempt to lay the blame at Keane's door, as he had the intention of trying to sue him.
    Last year Haaland was interviewed about the incident. "Did that tackle end my career? Well, I never played a full game again, did I? It seems like a great coincidence, don't you think?"
    Presumably the lawsuit never materialised into anything substantial because it was based on a completely retarded argument.

• Advertisement

I'm not a fan of the belief that you have to play with dogsh*t teams before you're considered good.

But it is much easier to appear great if the players around you are also great.
    It is like the old story about how some players look great when their team is winning.
    Throw them into a more uphill struggle and it is a different story.

Pele played with some fantastic players especially in 58 and 70 WC teams.
    Maradona played in a Napoli setup that didn't have the squad of players of the likes of the Milans at the time. His 86 or 90 WC teams weren't full of great players.
    Messi has been part of one of the best current club sides.
    Saying that I believe they actually have not that great a strength in depth.
    Team honours aside, just watching Messi is enough to recognise he is one of the greats.

Oh he is no question one of the greats and like the others a joy to watch, because he is always capable of doing something special.

Of course he is not in the same league as one Ronaldo, you know the poncie one that used to play for an English club. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

I hope you guys aren't trying to suggest that because Keane didn't technically end Haaland's career that it makes intentionally setting out to injure a fellow professional okay...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I hope you guys aren't trying to suggest that because Keane didn't technically end Haaland's career that it makes intentionally setting out to injure a fellow professional okay...

way to put words in people's posts and trying to start an argument

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Des wrote: »
    way to put words in people's posts and trying to start an argument

Well I'm sorry if it comes across like that but it just seems that people are trying to excuse what Keane did.

[edit] actually this is something that really bothers me. Why is it the Keane isn't held in the absolute lowest regard by people for doing something as disgusting as what he did?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

nobody else answer that question. this will not be a Keane thread. thanks.

Fuzzy - this thread is about "beliefs" that annoy you.

one such belief is that many people believe Haaland's career ended with that tackle.

it didn't.

that is all; nobody has once defended the tackle.

Some people think Panathinaikos is or was set up by Irish person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

that darren bent was overpriced

he wasnt. his strike rate shows that. just under 1 in every 4 shots he takes is a goal, while only wayne rooney has scored more premiership goals since august 2005 (by 1)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Giles was a better player and also not a quitter.
    Now I am going to head for me bunker. ;)

Ah but shure how else would UEFA/FIFA guarantee that certain teams won ?

But they are and they are plucky, courageous and gracious in defeat :D

At last an intelligent post in the "soccer" forum. I'm a football supporter btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Everton are the Irish Catholic team of Liverpool historically
    Kop (as in a stand) means King over Pope

GTFO and go learn some history

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Everton are the Irish Catholic team of Liverpool historically
    Kop (as in a stand) means King over Pope

GTFO and go learn some history

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Spion_Kop

• Advertisement
Advertisement