Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Common "beliefs" that annoy you

12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Hold on. The question is would LoI clubs survive in the SPL.

Some probably would but I reckon they may be at the bottom half.
    If you remove Rangers from the equation, the LoI is on the same coifficent level as the SPL. Remove Celtic and Rangers, the LoI is actually a great deal higher. Simple reality is over the last 5 years INCLUDING Celtic, the LoI have had better European results. The only difference for the coifficent is Rangers Manchester final run.

How long has LOI had summer football and what affect has this had on pre qualifying/qualifying runs ?
    Do you disagree with the statement that the top LoI sides like Rovers, Derry, Sligo and Dundalk would be competing for the top half places in the SPL?

I don't think they would be in top half, but I do reckon that some of the top LOI clubs could survive in the SPL.
    Big thing is their financials would need to change drastically.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Dempsey wrote: »
    Sounds like you dont have a clue how seeding works in European Competitions

Actually I know an awful lot about european co-efficients.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

This season coming, Rangers go into UCL qualifiers, Celtic go into Europa League qualifiers.

This season coming Scotland has lost a Chamions League Qualifying place. Rangers then will enter at the 3rd qualifying stage (it should be 2nd but both Man utd and Barca have already qualified for the CL and wont need the holders place).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Actually I know an awful lot about european co-efficients.

Sounds like you dont know much about seeding. Nobody would have described it as you did
    This season coming Scotland has lost a Chamions League Qualifying place. Rangers then will enter at the 3rd qualifying stage (it should be 2nd but both Man utd and Barca have already qualified for the CL and wont need the holders place).

You looking to save face or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

jmayo wrote: »
    Big thing is their financials would need to change drastically.

Really? Wage cap at Hibs of 1,500 stg a week. And they are one of the bigger Scottish clubs.

What do you think Hamilton, St Mirren, St Johnstone etc's turnover and wage bill is?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

'Plan B'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

this idea that villa have no money

we have lots of money, and only city and real madrid have spent more in world football in the last 5 years iirc. unfortunately we also had a manage who was a financial disaster in o'neill, and it spiralled so out of control that he was told he wasnt getting any more money til he sold off the players he had bought for obscene amounts, put on ridiculous contracts (a 30 year old babib beye on a 3 year, £45k per week deal) and then never played. mon threw the toys out and walked, houllier came in, addressed the problem and was rewarded with £30m+ in january

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I hate when people pretend that fans that riot or cause trouble "aren't real fans". They are. They also happened to be scumbags.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Helix wrote: »

we have lots of money, and only city and real madrid have spent more in world football in the last 5 years iirc. unfortunately we also had a manage who was a financial disaster in o'neill, and it spiralled so out of control that he was told he wasnt getting any more money til he sold off the players he had bought for obscene amounts, put on ridiculous contracts (a 30 year old babib beye on a 3 year, £45k per week deal) and then never played. mon threw the toys out and walked, houllier came in, addressed the problem and was rewarded with £30m+ in january

I dont doubt you but do you have a link to that?

Thats mad. I knew Villa spent a few bob

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

That managers are to blame for contracts and/or financial decisions.

It's usually the chairman/board who have to sign the things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Des wrote: »

In fairness and I am a huge fan of MON but he has history here, he had Celtic nearing financial ruin aswell because of the wage-bill and contracts that were given out during he's tenure, and Strachan then had to come in and clean it up, which he did while still winning trophies yet he is ridiculed by a large porportion of Celtic fans.

Dont know the ins and out of Leiscter but from the outside it looks like something similar probably occured judging by their implosion a season or two after he left.

Managers can only spend what a board allows them to spend.

I don't care what has gone on before, if the boards were idiotic enough to agree to his plans, then be it on their heads when it comes back to bite them.

Manager : Hey there Board/Chairman, can I have some money to spend, there's a 30 year old guy who I wand to give 45k to for 3 years.

Response A : Hells no, that's a bit much, what are you? stupid?

Response B : Yeah, here you go, want more?

How, exactly, is it the manager's fault if a clubs owners, board and chairman decide to run them into the ground.

Remember, I have direct experience of the likes of this with Shels, and idiots blaming Fenlon for our demise.

There is only one man responsible for our demise, the man who controlled the purse strings. And it wasn't Fenlon.

unfortuantely, o'neill had full control over all that stuff at villa

unfortuantely, o'neill had full control over all that stuff at villa

What? Well that's even more idiotic than I can imagine!

What kind of fúcking clown chairman agrees to a contract like that for a manager?

Still isn't O'Neill's fault, imo.

He went into contract negotiations when he got the job, and asked "Can I have full control over all spending, contracts and other financial stuff"

Response A : Hells no, I'm not an idiot, it's not your money, it's the clubs, and we'd like the club to exist after you are gone, os no, that won't be happening at all, take it or leave it.

Response B : Yeah, sure you can, knock yourself out!

What the fúck?

Who, at Villa, was responsible for that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

Paparazzo wrote: »
    I hate when people pretend that fans that riot or cause trouble "aren't real fans". They are. They also happened to be scumbags.

+100000

I hate when people put the word 'fans' in inverted commas just because they caused trouble :mad:

Who, at Villa, was responsible for that?

doug ellis, the man who hired him

when lerner finally changed things mon walked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

That a wild shot which gets deflected in a completely different direction is as good as a goal from the same spot which was hit to where the player meant to hit it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

amacachi wrote: »
    That a wild shot which gets deflected in a completely different direction is as good as a goal from the same spot which was hit to where the player meant to hit it.

A goal is a goal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

A goal is a goal

20080314_sherlock_holmes.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Commentators regularly state that a player used "no back-lift" when hitting a shot. I reckon some of them don't even know what "back-lift" is, the player's studs could rake his own ar5e in the wind-up to a shot but the commentator will dutifully tell us, "what a shot - and no backlift!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Manchester United is on decline.

This aged well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭how.gareth

henke wrote: »
    The belief from some that Martin O'Neill isn't a world class manager.

And this one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I had a quick browse at the thread, there is some good fails in it alright but some 6 or 7 years is a long, long time in football. :o

This aged well

:D

Yep, it aged as well as David Moyes did in his 10 months as United manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

This aged well

It sure did.

With just the 4 different competitions won since Giggsy made that post I'd be fairly confident in saying that the majority of fans in England wish the team the support were able to decline like that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

It sure did.

With just the 4 different competitions won since Giggsy made that post I'd be fairly confident in saying that the majority of fans in England wish the team the support were able to decline like that!

How many did they win in the 7 years prior though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Brego888

It sure did.

Decline is still decline though.

Advertisement