Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lighting for (Red Island) what do you think??

Options
  • 11-05-2011 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭

I was out a few weeks ago and got talking to this guy who lives in Skerries about the new developments that have taken place over the last numbers years in Skerries. Nice Guy. We both had our opinions’.
    We were talking about the new shopping centre that’s proposed in the centre of the town and talked about the marina for Skerries harbour and so on….. Not what I want to talk about here!
    But then, up came the discussion about lighting for (Red Island) the HEAD!!??
    He was of the opinion that this needed to be lit as soon as possible and that Fingal were too mean to do this. I was somewhat surprised; I didn’t even know this was even up for discussion to ever light up the head. I understand that like me, walking the head is a daily fix for many. This is one of my favourite places to walk and sometimes due to work commitments I’m not always home during daylight hours and of course the seasons do affect natural light.
    When it is dark, I carry a small hand torch and love the fact there is no light pollution, therefore allowing the night sky to display her full beauty on a clear night. So you can imagine that I would hate this area to be lit.
    What I am wondering is, how do others from Skerries or not, who frequently walk this area, feel about the possibility of this last section of the town been lit. It may be an issue or you may completely agree for safety purposes. Maybe I’m just been selfish….

Opinions welcome… :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I agree wholeheartedly - it does not need lighting up. There's way too much light pollution in our towns as it is. It is lovely to head there & do a post of star-gazing (weather permitting), & also the views up & down the coast a night time would be diminished if the head was lit up.

If it is an 'absolute must' that they put lighting in for nighttime pedestrians - the should install low-level down-lighting around the pathways - but not the usual big feck-off standard street lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Hauk

Keep it dark.

*Points at telescope*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

I can't see it going down well with the hard pressed rate payers of Skerries, unless the council installs some renewable source of energy to power the lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭cbreeze

Corsendonk wrote: »
    I can't see it going down well with the hard pressed rate payers of Skerries, unless the council installs some renewable source of energy to power the lights.

White road marking would be cheap - can still be visible to walkers even on quite dark nights. Romans did something like this in Pompeii - small white marble squares set in pairs a metre apart on the pavements

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

cbreeze wrote: »
    White road marking would be cheap - can still be visible to walkers even on quite dark nights. Romans did something like this in Pompeii - small white marble squares set in pairs a metre apart on the pavements

Excellent idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I've nearly gone on ear running at night there a few times (just at the point where the road swerves a bit near the playground...there's a slí na sláinte post there...it's not going to be good for my sláinte some day). The head / red island is part of my "standard route". Still wouldn't want it lit up. It's a lovely spot. Quiet. Peaceful. Some white lines to mark the path would be most welcome though. I think that's a great idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭DubArk

Khannie wrote: »
    I've nearly gone on ear running at night there a few times (just at the point where the road swerves a bit near the playground...there's a slí na sláinte post there...it's not going to be good for my sláinte some day). The head / red island is part of my "standard route". Still wouldn't want it lit up. It's a lovely spot. Quiet. Peaceful. Some white lines to mark the path would be most welcome though. I think that's a great idea.

I concur, an excellent Idea. :)

Advertisement