Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

9% VAT Rate

• 11-05-2011 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

I wonder if any campsites are vat registered. It will be intresting to see if the prices drop on 1st July. My advice would be to ask when booking if they are VAT registered and if so are they dropping the price in line with the drop.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭elaverty

If they are/suppos to be i dont know....but a 4.5% drop on your average 30euro pitch is goona be about 2.20 cent,,,hardly gonna be a decideing factor is it ?..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭zoltar_boi

The idea is good and will test the campsite level of greed or willingness to promote tourism. We've moaned about the cost long enough, i welcome the move as a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭irishllanaber

Average night in B+B €30... Save €2.20. The goverment are making a big deal about it.
    I'm with Zoltar boi on this. Lets see how the sites respond

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 149 ✭✭Niall_G

Sorry lads, but it's only a decrease of €1.19 on €30. However, the total VAT element of the €30 is only €3.57 so even if the government abolished VAT altogether it's not going to radically change things there! While I don't think yeaterday's package went very far, I don't think VAT can be blamed for campsite prices (unless we introduce negative VAT?).

However, I did hear somebody from Westport House on the radio today saying they now intended to open for longer hours because of both the VAT and the PRSI reductions so there is hope there (although that may imply they don't intend to pass on the VAT reduction!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭alanclarke1975

I agree that it is probably a good thing - but all it will do is give them more breathing space - prices to the end user - will remain the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I agree that it is probably a good thing - but all it will do is give them more breathing space - prices to the end user - will remain the same.
    I thought they said if it wasn't passed on they'd reverse it? Every little helps given the cost of pitches in the state compared to other countries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭SARZY

Of course there should be a reduction in retail prices as a result of the reduction in VAT.
    I, for one will be checking the Campsites I visit. I know what they charge now and I will be expecting a reduction after the change.
    If there is none, then the person operating the business is profiteering at the expense of the taxpayers and the State, and I will consider my options and take appropriate action.
    We should force the change where it is not implemented.
    It would be a good Thread to start if allowed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

SARZY wrote: »
    Of course there should be a reduction in retail prices as a result of the reduction in VAT.
    I, for one will be checking the Campsites I visit. I know what they charge now and I will be expecting a reduction after the change.
    If there is none, then the person operating the business is profiteering at the expense of the taxpayers and the State, and I will consider my options and take appropriate action.
    We should force the change where it is not implemented.
    It would be a good Thread to start if allowed.

The best you can hope for is a reduction for a week or two then they will put back up their prices and blame it on inflation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭Macy0161

The best you can hope for is a reduction for a week or two then they will put back up their prices and blame it on inflation
    If that does occur, those that come across it should report it to the Minister or their local TD. No point in the reduction if it's not passed on, so it might as well be reversed since the point was to make the state more attractive for tourists.

Campsites should be quite easy to see - they usually publish their prices for the year, so we should see a reduction.

Advertisement