Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New GAA Game

Options
  • 11-05-2011 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭

Is there any chance of a new one coming out,In fairness the Hurling and Football games were the best sellers in 06 (i think the year they were released) also i think the football game was the best selling game ever in ireland.

Anyways you would think EA could just take the engine from FIFA modify it slightly and produce a quality game,And with the GAA & GPA on such good terms image rights could easily be sorted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,784 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Prop Joe wrote: »
    Is there any chance of a new one coming out,In fairness the Hurling and Football games were the best sellers in 06 (i think the year they were released) also i think the football game was the best selling game ever in ireland.

Anyways you would think EA could just take the engine from FIFA modify it slightly and produce a quality game,And with the GAA & GPA on such good terms image rights could easily be sorted.

it would not be economically viable for EA to make a Gaa game. They don't make rugby or cricket games anymore despite the fact they have a far larger target audience when compared to Gaa. I'd like to see it but it won't happen. A small developer would be the best chance of someone making a game like this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Id have to say no hope. Too expensive on current systems to put any kinda effort into it for far too small a market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Not really the games that came out were due out in '99 for the ps1 and looked like the were not touched until they were released 7 years later according to one of the lads i know that worked on them plus the fact that GAA games only sell in ireland so given the cost of development of games it makes no sense business wise to make one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

Maybe the GAA should actively persue this as it's great promotion for the game,Just can't see how it would not be financially viable,It would surly hit the 1 million mark in sales

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Redlion

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    it would not be economically viable for EA to make a Gaa game. They don't make rugby or cricket games anymore despite the fact they have a far larger target audience when compared to Gaa. I'd like to see it but it won't happen. A small developer would be the best chance of someone making a game like this :)
    There's a new rugby game and possibly a new cricket game later this year :)
    Although, neither linked to EA.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

It would surly hit the 1 million mark in sales

how do you make that out exactly?

youd need every non casual gamer in ireland to buy 2 or 3 copies to come close to those figures

Maybe the GAA should actively persue this as it's great promotion for the game,Just can't see how it would not be financially viable,It would surly hit the 1 million mark in sales

It didnt hit the million mark on the ps2 when there was (I believe could be mistaken) one ps2 for every 3 homes it even if everyone that owned a home console bought one its just not viable

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

EA should make Curbs 2012. Using a Derby ball of course, not those blowaway Champion One ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Not worth their while for a sport that nobody outside of Ireland gives a sh1t about (not including the jersey wearers living in Oz) I was working in a games department when the Hurling one came out and we had so many unsold copies of it to be returned after christmas it was a pain in the balls, game itself was a pile of sh1te as well

• Registered Users Posts: 10,784 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Redlion wrote: »
    There's a new rugby game and possibly a new cricket game later this year :)
    Although, neither linked to EA.

we're getting two new rugby games actually :) cant wait! but my point was that EA dropped the sport. Much smaller developers this time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

For what it was the GAA game wasn't too bad, it certainly was not good either.

It would be nice if another was made, but I can't see it happening and if it does I highly doubt it will be another more than a low budget knock off.:(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

NTMK wrote: »
    It didnt hit the million mark on the ps2 when there was (I believe could be mistaken) one ps2 for every 3 homes it even if everyone that owned a home console bought one its just not viable

It actually did really well on the PS2 and was one of the best selling games on the PS2 in Ireland. The problem was that they put out such a shoddy product that faith was lost and the next two games performed rather poorly.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It actually did really well on the PS2 and was one of the best selling games on the PS2 in Ireland. The problem was that they put out such a shoddy product that faith was lost and the next two games performed rather poorly.

There were two games after it!?:eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yeah Gaelic games 2 and a Hurling game after that.

Wasn't bad?

It was beyond woeful, the games would end with more goals then points and not through going for them, just because they wouldn't raise and the goalies would dive over the ball etc.....

It was a Sega Megadrive game realised in modern times(2004/2005... even the PS2 was ending its cycle at this point)

Retr0gamer wrote: »

Oh i know but it would've required around 90% of Ps2 owners to have bought it to break a million

out of curiousty how bad were the second two games any improvement at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

Reminds me of taking a goal kick in PES5 and I noticed this, it got me thinking at the time that that engine would be class for a GAA game. In fact that engine would still be class for a GAA game.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

1) There's no way it'd sell a million quickly enough though - maybe over a long shelf life, but that's not the way modern games marketing and sales works. It's all hype, hype, hype until release and then move on to the next game with no further publisher input.

2) Producing and releasing a half way decent game costs millions. The numbers simply wouldn't add up. You're looking at a predominantly Irish sale with some uptake in the UK, Australia and the US (but barely a blip on the radar of what the modern game budget and distribution equivalent would be).

3) I do think there's some scope for one of the existing soccer games to allow a third party access to the code to try modify it for GAA, but it would be a massive project and quite likely easier to build an engine from scratch. Without knowing the fundamentals of how FIFA or Pro Evo's code and engines work, I can only guess at that. However, there is already *some* code for a player handling the ball in terms of the Goal Keepers, so maybe...

4) A quick, but functional iOS or Android game might get better traction - certainly some of the bigger costs would be eliminated, but these are platforms that may have difficulty with this sort of game.

NTMK wrote: »
    out of curiousty how bad were the second two games any improvement at all?

Eh I'm actually going to write an article on HG101 about them but not had the time and have better games to play :) will tell you later :P I did hear they improved the sequels and they weren't so bad in multiplayer.

Kharn wrote: »
    1) There's no way it'd sell a million quickly enough though - maybe over a long shelf life, but that's not the way modern games marketing and sales works. It's all hype, hype, hype until release and then move on to the next game with no further publisher input.

2) Producing and releasing a half way decent game costs millions. The numbers simply wouldn't add up. You're looking at a predominantly Irish sale with some uptake in the UK, Australia and the US (but barely a blip on the radar of what the modern game budget and distribution equivalent would be).

3) I do think there's some scope for one of the existing soccer games to allow a third party access to the code to try modify it for GAA, but it would be a massive project and quite likely easier to build an engine from scratch. Without knowing the fundamentals of how FIFA or Pro Evo's code and engines work, I can only guess at that. However, there is already *some* code for a player handling the ball in terms of the Goal Keepers, so maybe...

4) A quick, but functional iOS or Android game might get better traction - certainly some of the bigger costs would be eliminated, but these are platforms that may have difficulty with this sort of game.

I was hoping say take the engine from an existing game i.e FIFA or PES and modify it,couldnt take much to modify it (in computing terms since all the add ons u can have with such games as GTA).It would pretty much be Guaranteed to be the top seller in Ireland even at half a million copys at E50 that would generate 25mill.Couldnt see a company not interested in that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I tried to buy the last one in Gamestop for a fiver, second hand, but after a half an hour search, they couldn't find the disc.

Maybe some company should make a compilation game of sports that wouldn't have a huge fan base worldwide. GAA/Bobsled/Curling/Ultimate Frisbee

That's the worst Idea I've ever had.

I was hoping say take the engine from an existing game i.e FIFA or PES and modify it,couldnt take much to modify it (in computing terms since all the add ons u can have with such games as GTA).It would pretty much be Guaranteed to be the top seller in Ireland even at half a million copys at E50 that would generate 25mill.Couldnt see a company not interested in that.

Do you really think (roughly) one in ten people in the country would be interested in buying this game?
    I can't find sales figures for the last one, but I'd guess it was much less then 50,000.

Looking at Black Ops figures, which was the fastest selling game of all time. It sold 1.2million copies in the UK on launch, lets assume most bought it that day and add another 800,000 copies and say total sales in the UK were 2million.

Do you think a sports game in a country with a population 1/13th that of the UK(I'm including the North in both, 65million UK and 5million for Ireland) could get to a 1/4 of the sales of the fastest selling game of all time? also taking into account that FPS have a much broader scope then one particular sport would have(that lags behind soccer in participation numbers here)

I'd doubt there are even half a million Xbox/PS3's in the country, then from that number you're taking away those with no interest.

David Grays ''White Ladder'' is the biggest selling album off all time in Ireland, it's sold 210,000 copies.

It's not economically viable, if it was there would have been another made years ago.

There is a slight chance we'll get one though, mainly because a new Aussie Rules game has been made for the first time in a few years, and the company who made the last GAA game were the same developers who made some Aussie Rules one, used the same engine too.
    That doesn't mean they'll even make it, but if anyone is going too, it will be an Australian company using AFL game code and not a big company like Konami or EA.

But these 100,000+ figures are way off the mark, we only got the last ones because that Aussie company had the code 90% complete and even low figures of 10,000+ wouldn't have been anything to throw their noses at.

Do you really think (roughly) one in ten people in the country would be interested in buying this game?
    I can't find sales figures for the last one, but I'd guess it was much less then 50,000.

Looking at Black Ops figures, which was the fastest selling game of all time. It sold 1.2million copies in the UK on launch, lets assume most bought it that day and add another 800,000 copies and say total sales in the UK were 2million.

Do you think a sports game in a country with a population 1/13th that of the UK(I'm including the North in both, 65million UK and 5million for Ireland) could get to a 1/4 of the sales of the fastest selling game of all time? also taking into account that FPS have a much broader scope then one particular sport would have(that lags behind soccer in participation numbers here)

I'd doubt there are even half a million Xbox/PS3's in the country, then from that number you're taking away those with no interest.

David Grays ''White Ladder'' is the biggest selling album off all time in Ireland, it's sold 210,000 copies.

It's not economically viable, if it was there would have been another made years ago.

There is a slight chance we'll get one though, mainly because a new Aussie Rules game has been made for the first time in a few years, and the company who made the last GAA game were the same developers who made some Aussie Rules one, used the same engine too.
    That doesn't mean they'll even make it, but if anyone is going too, it will be an Australian company using AFL game code and not a big company like Konami or EA.

But these 100,000+ figures are way off the mark, we only got the last ones because that Aussie company had the code 90% complete and even low figures of 10,000+ wouldn't have been anything to throw their noses at.

I Remember reading somewhere that there were 700,000 playstations in Ireland,Thats what im basing my figures on,Maybe i'm wrong?? Just thinking that the last one was the best sellling playstation game ever in ireland,It could make profit.

I Remember reading somewhere that there were 700,000 playstations in Ireland,Thats what im basing my figures on,Maybe i'm wrong?? Just thinking that the last one was the best sellling playstation game ever in ireland,It could make profit.

We defo had the highest ratio per person after Japan for the PS2.
    The uptake of the 360/PS3 from my circle of friends compared to PS2 is pretty low though

Google showed a story that backed up the 700,000, it wasn't an official one but let's say it is.

That's 700,000 over a near 10year period, some people would have went through more then one.

At any one time there was probably 200,000 in use.
    Break it down again for number of sports fans(which is low in the gaming community) and then again for GAA fans.
    I'd be inclined to stand by my 50,000 guess now which isn't bad all things considered.

At any rate, the reason we got the last ones was because that Aussie company could make the switch easy from the AFL game.
    They didn't set out to make a GAA game, it was just easy considering most of the donkey work was already completed.

If it happens again, it will be the same reason and we'll be using an AFL game's engine.
    I was watching vids off the AFL game last week as I have an interest in the sport..... it's pretty bad to be honest and I wouldn't buy it.:D

I'm just wondering the patches you can install for games i.e PES.new stadia,updated kits,new players.i just wonder could they do that and would it be a massive job if instead of dribbling,they would solo,Instead of passing,it would be hand passing.Just wondering as it don't seem like much torquing.Like having 15 goalkeepers as such?? the punts would be the same,catching etc.. especially with FIFA where you can directly control the keeper.

Having said all that you would need the engine of those games first,But saying you had permission,Would it be that massive of a job??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

All I can remember about it is Mícheál O'Muircheartaigh saying "They're going in for their banana and cup of tea at half-time".:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Half a million copies?

There are approx. 4.5million people in Ireland. So thats in 1 in 9 people (not gamers, PEOPLE, as in, out of my parents and their friends, 1 in 9 would have to buy it) that would need to buy this game to get to your figures...

Also, just take FIFA/PES engine and tweak it? For an entirely different sport? And even if they did EA/Konami would sue the absolute **** out of them. The things you are saying are absolutely mental.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

It was one of the fastest selling games in Ireland at one time, but also was the fastest returned game too. Because it was so bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Just thinking that the last one was the best sellling playstation game ever in ireland,It could make profit.

no way was it the highest selling ps game ever in ireland btw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

I'm just wondering the patches you can install for games i.e PES.new stadia,updated kits,new players.i just wonder could they do that and would it be a massive job if instead of dribbling,they would solo,Instead of passing,it would be hand passing.Just wondering as it don't seem like much torquing.Like having 15 goalkeepers as such?? the punts would be the same,catching etc.. especially with FIFA where you can directly control the keeper.

Having said all that you would need the engine of those games first,But saying you had permission,Would it be that massive of a job??

In fairness you wouldnt even have to go into the whole catching thing, depending on players skill he takes the ball in one go same as any footie sim. As you say the player running with the ball solos and hops at random, pass is a handpass , crossing button is the kick pass then use a shoulder button to finess it over the bar and normal shoot to hit for goal, to much power and over . Other shoulder button to blast it. PES5 or FIFA08-09 engines would work.
    Could even use the madden type field goal for frees.

Advertisement