Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iphone 4 vs other smart phones (newbie)

Options
  • 11-05-2011 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭

similar threads have probably been started a few times before but im new to this whole smart phone generation, at the moment i have a good ol nokia button phone which is very basic.

im very tempted to sign up for 3's deal with the iphone 4 for free and 40 euro a month from there on, im just wondering though is there an iphone 5 coming out soon?

the last thing i want to do is sign a 2 year contract for an iphone4 only to turn around a few months later to see a iphone5 in the shops.

also what is the differnce between say androids,blackberrys etc compared to the iphone?

I dont know what to choose, iv got all my music on itunes so thats why im leaning towards the iphone but is there better out there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Incoming flamewar in 5....4....3....

You can not ask "which is better" because everyone will give you a different answer. I prefer Android and would recommend Nexus S, or Galaxy S II which is about to be released.

One thing is for sure tho, go to the 3 forum and read all the complaints about their network (doesn't matter which handset).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭bigneacy

I was the same as yourself with my button nokia, about 3 weeks ago I got this deal myself.... now I absolutly love my iPhone. :)

AFAIK, there is an iPhone5 coming out soon, but thats the nature of the phone/technology business - no matter what you buy you are more than likely going to be out of date within a space of 2 or 3 months.

The HTC and Blackberry's are constantly updating to newer models also so you're no safer going with them. And remember - you are in a contract with 3 not with the iPhone - you can change the phone whenever you want!

As far as the 3 network itself goes - I have had no problems in terms of not being in coverage so far, whereas I was pulling my hair out with Meteor coverage for years. The 3G coverage can be hit and miss but my brother has a htc on vodafone and he says he has similar 3G outages. It doesn't affect me in a huge way at all...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

srsly78 wrote: »
    Incoming flamewar in 5....4....3....

You can not ask "which is better" because everyone will give you a different answer. I prefer Android and would recommend Nexus S, or Galaxy S II which is about to be released.

One thing is for sure tho, go to the 3 forum and read all the complaints about their network (doesn't matter which handset).

il pop on later and have a look, i was with 3 before and they drove me mad and i ended up going back to o2 but the lure of a free iphone is just too tempting, if its a thing that the network plays up on me the whole time and im not able to use the phone to its potential il just keep the iphone and get it unblocked and move to another network motherfu*k a contract :)
    I was the same as yourself with my button nokia, about 3 weeks ago I got this deal myself.... now I absolutly love my iPhone.

AFAIK, there is an iPhone5 coming out soon, but thats the nature of the phone/technology business - no matter what you buy you are more than likely going to be out of date within a space of 2 or 3 months.

The HTC and Blackberry's are constantly updating to newer models also so you're no safer going with them. And remember - you are in a contract with 3 not with the iPhone - you can change the phone whenever you want!

As far as the 3 network itself goes - I have had no problems in terms of not being in coverage so far, whereas I was pulling my hair out with Meteor coverage for years. The 3G coverage can be hit and miss but my brother has a htc on vodafone and he says he has similar 3G outages. It doesn't affect me in a huge way at all...

when you say coverage is that just internet coverage or do you mean coverage as in call signal strength?

ye mate i think il have to sign up for it, as i said above the offer of a free iphone is just too tempting!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Test the three network before moving by getting a free payg sim from a store. Test the signal where you live work and play. If it's your first smart phone and you've no idea about them at all I'd recommend going with an iPhone. I personally have and love blackberry devices

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭bigneacy

when you say coverage is that just internet coverage or do you mean coverage as in call signal strength?

ye mate i think il have to sign up for it, as i said above the offer of a free iphone is just too tempting!

Call signal is 100% without fail for me.
    3G signal - is good about 75% of the time - the other 25% of the time I am out of 3G coverage. As i said that doesn't affect me hugely so i'm more than happy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

bigneacy wrote: »
    3G signal - is good about 75% of the time - the other 25% of the time I am out of 3G coverage. As i said that doesn't affect me hugely so i'm more than happy!

ye that would do me to be honest, but im just waiting for the bank to send out a statement to my address to go in and sign up for it.

but the fela workin in there told me that they might have to take a 150 euro deposit of me if i dont meet the needs on my statement or some bullsh*t like that (he said id get it back in 6 months though) did you have to go through that bud?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

bigneacy wrote: »

Thats pretty much the same for me with 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭yoyo83

similar threads have probably been started a few times before but im new to this whole smart phone generation, at the moment i have a good ol nokia button phone which is very basic.

im very tempted to sign up for 3's deal with the iphone 4 for free and 40 euro a month from there on, im just wondering though is there an iphone 5 coming out soon?

the last thing i want to do is sign a 2 year contract for an iphone4 only to turn around a few months later to see a iphone5 in the shops.

also what is the differnce between say androids,blackberrys etc compared to the iphone?

I dont know what to choose, iv got all my music on itunes so thats why im leaning towards the iphone but is there better out there?

dont buy the iphone4 now the new one is comin out in december and for that 3 package i heard its not recommened, u dont get much minutes on it! get an android way better!

yoyo83 wrote: »
    dont buy the iphone ever and for that 3 package i heard its not recommened, u dont get much minutes on it! get an android way better!

fixed

fixed

fixed??

• Advertisement

yoyo83 wrote: »
    fixed??

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=fyp, first entry is what you are looking for. Welcome to teh internetz by the way.

u changed my comment!

Yes I'm a right bollix, sorry bout that :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

i got a sim free iphone4 from apple and am on PAYG with 3 and I have no problems with call signal, and I'd go so far as to say 90% 3g coverage- usually i only notice i'm out of it when i'm in a basement or something. Been with 3 for a few years now, never really had any major problems tbh...

lol its grand im jus a havin a blonde moment i had to read it twice lol:D ya im def gettin the android phone though but question is the blackberry an android phone??

zoegh wrote: »
    i got a sim free iphone4 from apple and am on PAYG with 3 and I have no problems with call signal, and I'd go so far as to say 90% 3g coverage- usually i only notice i'm out of it when i'm in a basement or something. Been with 3 for a few years now, never really had any major problems tbh...

Ah shure a quick reset and it's grand. Nothin wrong with 3 amirite?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 C81

Got iphone4 3 wks ago.. Don't seem to have a problem so far..
    Reception good enough.3 g is ok... I didnt have2 pay a deposit for iPhone. I met the criteria.. What that was. They weren't fit to tell me what the criteria was. Working cross border seems ok in the big towns.

C81 wrote: »
    Got iphone4 3 wks ago.. Don't seem to have a problem so far..
    Reception good enough.3 g is ok... I didnt have2 pay a deposit for iPhone. I met the criteria.. What that was. They weren't fit to tell me what the criteria was. Working cross border seems ok in the big towns.

i think the deposit is for the people who never have money in their account lol so they have the credit check hmmm my mind is tellin me to get a android and me heart is tellin me to get the iphone... i still dont know what to decide! lol

Nop. My company had 10 grand in account and still failed credit check.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭bd250110

I think the credit check is pretty basic. I don't think mobile phone networks in Ireland are allowed to have a look at your credit score/history like Uk networks can, or banks/credit card companies here. Even if they could look at your full credit history, they would not be able to see how much money is in a specific account. It's not the amount of money in the account, it is the history of paying in the past.

The credit check is all about risk and is caluclated taking past performance into account For example, if I had 90k and just moved to Ireland, I would have a much lower score than some one with 90 quid, but a good history of paying off debt. I have no "previous" so to speak.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

bd250110 wrote: »
    I think the credit check is pretty basic. I don't think mobile phone networks in Ireland are allowed to have a look at your credit score/history like Uk networks can, or banks/credit card companies here. Even if they could look at your full credit history, they would not be able to see how much money is in a specific account. It's not the amount of money in the account, it is the history of paying in the past.

The credit check is all about risk and is caluclated taking past performance into account For example, if I had 90k and just moved to Ireland, I would have a much lower score than some one with 90 quid, but a good history of paying off debt. I have no "previous" so to speak.

Of course they can check it, anybody can
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/money_and_tax/personal_finance/loans_and_credit/irish_credit_bureau.html

Nop. My company had 10 grand in account and still failed credit check.

what? how?

PogMoThoin wrote: »

As far as I know only members of the ICB can get credit info on you and none of the mobile networks are members of the ICB:

http://www.icb.ie/membership.php

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

I'm sure they have their own scoring system based on the answers you give them on the forms.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭zinzan

In fairness, this doesn't really give an accurate view either as you're more likely to get people who have issues reporting them or complaining to Three about it than people who have good experiences logging on just to say so!

In my experience the network is generally good (Kildare-Dublin area) but signal drops if you are driving about the country.
    I left O2 and then Vodafone to move to Three as I found texts were not being delivered but I was still being charged, and I haven't had that issue with Three.
    their packages are pretty good value too - and the iPhone4 offer is pretty much unprecedented in the Irish market.

I will say their Mumbai-based customer service is ridiculously bad, but the Three Reps on Boards.ie are very helpful- if somewhat busy as they have to deal with the fallout from Mumbai.

In fairness I have never seen a device on 3 working properly. And I'm qualified to talk about it (not a lay person, worked as engineer for major telco etc). Recently I worked in a company with hundreds of (mobile) engineers, and ALL OF THEM knew about the "3 problem". This was a year ago, so it really surprises me to see people reporting the same issue today.

In fairness I have never seen a device on 3 working properly. And I'm qualified to talk about it (not a lay person, worked as engineer for major telco etc). Recently I worked in a company with hundreds of (mobile) engineers, and ALL OF THEM knew about the "3 problem". This was a year ago, so it really surprises me to see people reporting the same issue today.

A bit sweeping dont you think? I have a Blackberry 9700 I brought to Three from O2 and it's working perfectly. I've had zero problems since I moved. I can understand there are issues with some devices but certainly not all.

Blackberry uses a completely different network system :rolleyes: I've seen the problem in question on palm+android+iphone.

What do you mean by a completely different network system?

• Advertisement

It's complicated, but blackberries are not the same as other devices. This is why some networks don't support Blackberry, it needs special infrastructure.

Your blackberries data is routed through special Blackberry servers (hosted by the ISP) to ensure encryption etc. Other devices don't use this routing. The problem in question is definitely something to do with routing after 2g->3g handover. Device thinks it's connected but no packets get routed.

Advertisement