Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dodgy Cabs Ltd.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

dynamick wrote: »
    Keep it coming. You are occupying some kind of fantastic singularity in the space time continuum here where you can simultaneously be and not be. I am very jealous.

yet you suggest that your vehicle misdemeanours be

...and...

but wait...

I'm only having a laugh. I don't care if you drive your vehicle without cert of roadworthiness or tax, I'm just amused that you can still manage to be judgemental about others.

Oh don't be jealous.

I said this and even pre-empted your response.
    I'm indignant because I try to obey the laws while others are happy to break them and to a very serious degree. (I now expect you to twist that point to suit your argument.)

But alas you still forged ahead with making it suit your argument, which appears to be based on claiming I cannot be critical of corruption in the Vehicle testing sector, because I drove a vehicle with an out of date cert and tax disc, while making every effort to pass the test legitimately and renew my road tax. My example of my situation is by no means comparable to what was witnessed on Primetime last night and well you know it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

dermo88 wrote: »

Bobby Molloy held 3 taxi plates, and I believe it was Mary Harney who was the catalyst behind the decision to deregulate so suddenly.

Taxi plate prices had risen to IEP80,000, and subsequently plunged to less than IEP5,000.

6 weeks prior to deregulation, Bobby Molloy was able to sell them.

I'd love to hear any verification of this...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭oisindoyle

the issue of 'double jobbing' in the taxi industry has been around for as long as I remember, I am a full-time taxi driver , and know a few guys who work in their 9 to 5 jobs and then jump behind the wheel of their taxi's for a nights work, I also know of one foreign national who works as a taxi driver under one name and works for a well known UK retailer under another name, but as usual the man on the street knows more about whats going on then the powers that be ,

Well if your story is true ,surely in the interest of public safety you have a duty to report him to the relevant authorities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

oisindoyle wrote: »
    Well if your story is true ,surely in the interest of public safety you have a duty to report him to the relevant authorities.

And by golly,Oisindoyle,there is no shortage of such "authorities" as evidenced by the NTA's swift(ish) PR response this morning.....

http://nationaltransport.ie/news.html

Gardai,HSA,Local Authorities....and doubtless a few more we don't know about....so many regulatory bodies,so little regulation ;)

It's equally interesting to note just how far the Politicians are now distanced from the shytt that's hitting the fan,"nothing to do with us"....you'll have to talk to the regulator/s....

You have to hand it to our long affinity with quango's ...it's now beginning to show results.....Impossible to find anybody in a highly paid position of responsibility to actually take any of it...?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,198 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

AlekSmart wrote: »
    And by golly,Oisindoyle,there is no shortage of such "authorities" as evidenced by the NTA's swift(ish) PR response this morning.....

http://nationaltransport.ie/news.html

Gardai,HSA,Local Authorities....and doubtless a few more we don't know about....so many regulatory bodies,so little regulation ;)

It's equally interesting to note just how far the Politicians are now distanced from the shytt that's hitting the fan,"nothing to do with us"....you'll have to talk to the regulator/s....

You have to hand it to our long affinity with quango's ...it's now beginning to show results.....Impossible to find anybody in a highly paid position of responsibility to actually take any of it...?

Alek, were you as shocked as I was to hear that we now have a Minister for Public Transport?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭BANZAI_RUNNER

oisindoyle wrote: »

Well I don't see why I should have to do the work of the so called Authorities . They get paid enough to ensure that kind of situation doesn't arise.
    And as regards your comment ' If your story is true..' , I wouldn't waste my time coming on here with some fabricated story , as you can see by my post details I don't post here very often , because its rare that a subject will come up that I'm actually interested in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Maybe some of the thousands of extra Guards that have somehow appeared for these ongoing state visits could be used afterwards for regulating and stop-checking taxis in the country?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Well I don't see why I should have to do the work of the so called Authorities . They get paid enough to ensure that kind of situation doesn't arise.

Typical Irish attitude, moan about criminality, moan about the authorities doing nothing and then avoid any sliver of responsibility for doing something about people known to you who are criminals.

The prevalence of that attitude among too many here is a big part of why nothing ever changes, bitch about scumbags while buying dodgy smokes off Micko or Okambe down the road, sure what harm does it do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Havent read all of the posts so apologies if I missed this out.

When they talk about 'double jobbing' do they mean anyone who works cannot also be a taxi driver? I know lots of people who have 2 jobs (not taxis) so is it just for the taxi industry?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Dovies wrote: »
    Havent read all of the posts so apologies if I missed this out.

When they talk about 'double jobbing' do they mean anyone who works cannot also be a taxi driver? I know lots of people who have 2 jobs (not taxis) so is it just for the taxi industry?

Double-jobbing is not the problem, it's working the long hours without rest etc. Not good if your jobs are driving other people around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

n97 mini wrote: »
    Double-jobbing is not the problem, it's working the long hours without rest etc. Not good if your jobs are driving other people around.

Yeah I get that. But posters on here who know people 'double jobbing' have been told to report them to the authorities so ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Vic_08 wrote: »
    Typical Irish attitude, moan about criminality, moan about the authorities doing nothing and then avoid any sliver of responsibility for doing something about people known to you who are criminals.

The prevalence of that attitude among too many here is a big part of why nothing ever changes, bitch about scumbags while buying dodgy smokes off Micko or Okambe down the road, sure what harm does it do?

Well Said, Lazy attitude.

Surprised you have this attitude when these are lads are actively taking business from you. Your devil may car attitude is hitting you in the pocket. Surely thats enough to stimulate you into reporting it. or not :rolleyes:

Vic_08 wrote: »

There are people employed to do the job of regulating the taxi industry, if i can see whats going on with my limited resources , surely they can see it too , and in all honesty they probably do , but turn a blind eye to it because there is too much 'paperwork ' involved in dealing with it, I have seen their 'regulation' in action many times while working , there have been occasions while sitting on a rank 4 from the top , and the three in front of me are foreign nationals, and one of the enforcement staff walk on to the rank and totally disregard the first 3 taxis and sits into mine to check my papers, and when challenged about it told me to 'let him do his job and mind my own business ', so there you have it , i'm letting them do their job and minding my own business.
    Going back to my original post , i was not bitching about it , i was merely providing an example of what is going on in the industry, as regards public safety , I have the utmost regard for public safety , as long as everything in my car is legal and safe, thats all that matters to me. Outside of that why should i worry any further about public safety when the regulatory authorities dont seem to care either.
    Here is an example of the local authority's disregard for public safety regarding the provision of taxi ranks in Limerick , there are 3 on o connell street of which 2 are positioned that passengers have to enter from the road side , there is one in sarsfield street which has the same problem, and i'm sure the same problem occurs right across the country,

listermint wrote: »
    Well Said, Lazy attitude.

Surprised you have this attitude when these are lads are actively taking business from you. Your devil may car attitude is hitting you in the pocket. Surely thats enough to stimulate you into reporting it. or not :rolleyes:

VLc is a bus driver FTR.

There are people employed to do the job of regulating the taxi industry, if i can see whats going on with my limited resources , surely they can see it too , and in all honesty they probably do , but turn a blind eye to it because there is too much 'paperwork ' involved in dealing with it, I have seen their 'regulation' in action many times while working , there have been occasions while sitting on a rank 4 from the top , and the three in front of me are foreign nationals, and one of the enforcement staff walk on to the rank and totally disregard the first 3 taxis and sits into mine to check my papers, and when challenged about it told me to 'let him do his job and mind my own business ', so there you have it , i'm letting them do their job and minding my own business.

Unless somebody reports those like the guy on Prime Time renting out wonky cabs without checking rudimentary paperwork, the woman in Louth stuffing 13 kids into a taxi with six seats or the bus driver/taxi driver they can only spend time looking out for drivers not giving receipts etc to dole out soft touch fixed fines. Bad and all as 9 inspectors is, they can't do their job looking for the morbidly dangerous drivers unless they are told about them.

Unless somebody reports those like the guy on Prime Time renting out wonky cabs without checking rudimentary paperwork, the woman in Louth stuffing 13 kids into a taxi with six seats or the bus driver/taxi driver they can only spend time looking out for drivers not giving receipts etc to dole out soft touch fixed fines. Bad and all as 9 inspectors is, they can't do their job looking for the morbidly dangerous drivers unless they are told about them.

I agree, but again I say its not my job to do it. The taxi regulators office had a surplus in excess of €20 million last year, surely they could have employed quite a few people for their enforcement team , but they didn't ,and i have not seen or heard anything about them recruiting new enforcement officers since that program aired , but they have launched an investigation, and dont for one second think that they didn't know what was happening , like everything else bad in this country it took a investigative journalist to actually stir the authorities into action, lets take the foreign national guy who was renting the dodgy taxi's to anyone with a driving license, all those plates had to be registered in his name , and all that information had to be sent /filed with the taxi regulator , now lets think here for a second , a guy has 10 plates in his name , but the regulator has no record of anyone leasing/renting them from him , surely that should set alarm bells ringing , but it didnt , why? because all the regulator was interested in was the bottom line on the balance sheet, that office didnt care who got plates as long as they got their money ( i.e the actual purchase price for the plate , and NOT the rental), it is another revenue generating arm for the government , but here is the funny part, the regulators office was set up as an independant body , that received NO financial help from the government/ public money, but as soon as it turns a profit of €20 million it suddenly merges with the Department of Transport ( seems to me like someone discovered the goose that lays golden eggs ).
    The bottom line is , why should I or anyone else take it upon ourselves to be the crusader , when the people who are being paid ( and paid well )to do their jobs dont do them properly , if the authorities dont care whats happening right under their noses then why should we

You know, I agree wholly with you and all your sentiments here; the only bit I have a problem with is the not reporting bit.
    I agree, but again I say its not my job to do it. The taxi regulators office had a surplus in excess of €20 million last year, surely they could have employed quite a few people for their enforcement team , but they didn't ,and i have not seen or heard anything about them recruiting new enforcement officers since that program aired , but they have launched an investigation, and dont for one second think that they didn't know what was happening , like everything else bad in this country it took a investigative journalist to actually stir the authorities into action, lets take the foreign national guy who was renting the dodgy taxi's to anyone with a driving license, all those plates had to be registered in his name , and all that information had to be sent /filed with the taxi regulator , now lets think here for a second , a guy has 10 plates in his name , but the regulator has no record of anyone leasing/renting them from him , surely that should set alarm bells ringing , but it didnt , why? because all the regulator was interested in was the bottom line on the balance sheet, that office didnt care who got plates as long as they got their money ( i.e the actual purchase price for the plate , and NOT the rental), it is another revenue generating arm for the government , but here is the funny part, the regulators office was set up as an independant body , that received NO financial help from the government/ public money, but as soon as it turns a profit of €20 million it suddenly merges with the Department of Transport ( seems to me like someone discovered the goose that lays golden eggs ).
    The bottom line is , why should I or anyone else take it upon ourselves to be the crusader , when the people who are being paid ( and paid well )to do their jobs dont do them properly , if the authorities dont care whats happening right under their noses then why should we

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Alek, were you as shocked as I was to hear that we now have a Minister for Public Transport?

Apparently, he's a fairly quite fellow.

Long hours and also that truck and bus drivers are also driving taxis when they are supposed to be on mandatory rest periods.

There should be tachomitors on all commercial vehicles I.including all city busses and taxis!
    n97 mini wrote: »

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

It may well have set alarm bells ringing IF he were required to submit those details to the regulator, however, AFAIK the actual process is that he merely has to keep records for the regulator to inspect if they decide to inspect

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭dirtynosebeps

alot of stuff to get in here. i read in another forumn taxi drivers moaning about being hounded by the guards. my point on this is the guards aren't doing near half enough to enforce the R.O.T. i see no one has commented on the taxi's doing illegal u-turns over continous white lines at the opening of the programme, or yer one doing the school run driving using her mobile and more shockingly at one stage using her elbows to steer.if she had been caught in the U.K. doing that while un-insured her carrier would've been taken of her and crushed on the spot.and technically she was un-insured.T.B.H the same thing should apply here, i dont care if it's a merc just out of the show room.
    while i have no time for taxi drivers and never will, they do have a point in the double jobbing aspect of it. i'll be honest i work D.B. and was sickened when they did the bit on the bus driver double jobbing. when i first came into the job you would not get near the door if you were in competition with the company i.e. a taxi driver. but that all changed a few years ago. now i hope to god they reverse that decision and make every one of those that drive a bus and taxi to give up one or the other. unfortunately the taxi drivers are their own worst enemy when it comes to enforcement. as soon as a check point goes up the word is all over the city and theres a huge scattering of taxi's ,no doubt word of mouth over the radios. alas the guy caught renting out all the junkers is probably just the tip of the ice berg.
    as for theres only 500 hundred spaces. that not my problem you opted to become a taxi driver.it does not give you the right to block the streets ,illegally park or make up your own ranks as you see fit.
    as for convicts driving taxi's thats a bloody disgrace and i feel that the heads of those that allowed that scum in should roll. it was bad enough that people didn't feel safe. but after watching that programme if your a regular user of taxi's the chances are a convicted criminal would've brought you somewhere at some stage. i dont give a ****e if people loose their only source of in come. if i'm caught drink driving or something that leads to a criminal conviction i loose my job as most of us would, no questions asked.
    i hope to god all involved wake up and start doing something now. not in 4-5 weeks when these so-called reports are published. i also feel that all that was covered in the programme was just the tip of the ice berg of the illegal activites within the taxi sector.
    forgot about the front line which will probably get me suspended or banned but i'm entitled to my view. the thing that annoyed me most was the guy supposedly representing the non-nationals. at this stage i am sick to death of the racist thing being brought up every time the non-nationals are mentioned. it was there for all to see. it's been common knowledge for years that a select few were doing the test for most of them. just as a matter of interest. can you report a driver to the regulator for not knowing where they are going? and if a driver has been reported for over charging is the claimant refunded anything? ,the latter being theft/ robbery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Dovies wrote: »
    Yeah I get that. But posters on here who know people 'double jobbing' have been told to report them to the authorities so ..
    I think that's because the double jobbing is being done under false identities..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭steph1

The problem with double jobbing is a driver who like the guy in the clip on primetime drives a bus and then starts driving a taxi immediately after. Around the country there are probably taxi drivers who because of lack of business have taken up a second job. For example if somebody is working Monday to Wednesday and then drives a taxi at the weekend I dont have or see a problem with that.
    But there is a real problem with somebody who is working all hours of the night in a taxi and then driving a bus or a truck immediately after doing a long night shift. Not only are they a danger to themselves but to other road users too.
    I drive a taxi myself in the west of Ireland and thankfully my Saturday nights are still busy. There is no way that I would be fit to drive after coming in at 5or 6am on a Saturday night/Sunday morning. Drivers need to get proper rest and sleep. But then again I have consideration for my own health and the safety of the punters.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭lost marbles

@dirtynose [sorry mate just abrav your name ]
    now not to go too much into your last post .but you say you work for DB .there in lies part of the problem on your part .im sure you knew loads of drivers who are working the double job in the garages around dublin for years and that it was dangerous to do so .
    why did,nt you report these people if not to management then unions .?
    as you say this one guy is only the tip of the iceberg .AN POST ,ARMY,AIR CORP, CIVIL SERVICE , DUBLIN COUNCILS ,FIRE SERVICE ETC .
    a blind eye was shown and thank god that it did,nt take a death till the issue came to the fore .

now not to go too much into your last post .but you say you work for DB .there in lies part of the problem on your part .im sure you knew loads of drivers who are working the double job in the garages around dublin for years and that it was dangerous to do so .
    as you say this one guy is only the tip of the iceberg .AN POST ,ARMY,AIR CORP, CIVIL SERVICE , DUBLIN COUNCILS ,FIRE SERVICE ETC .
    a blind eye was shown and thank god that it did,nt take a death till the issue came to the fore .
    Every day I am in Dublin I see Dublin bus drivers on their phones(phone to ear) or talking or listening to music using earphones, this is against the rules in Dublin bus but they do nothing about it, how are people thinking they would do anything about double jobbing even if it were an offence?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Every day I am in Dublin I see Dublin bus drivers on their phones(phone to ear) or talking or listening to music using earphones, this is against the rules in Dublin bus but they do nothing about it, how are people thinking they would do anything about double jobbing even if it were an offence?

Welcome back Foggy :)

When you say "Every day" is that in the literal 24/7/365 sense ?

I only ask as I don't carry a radio with me,nor do I use a mobile phone with or without a hands-free....odd that,cos i know that MOST of the drivers in my own Garage are of similar habits..but then again perhaps we slip under your particularly sensitive radar ?

You DO appear to be quite knowledgable concerning how Dublin Bus operates it's disciplinary and grievance processes,again,perhaps you might not have noted the content of posts on the topic,but DB have a clear policy on the practices you so readily encounter and it is enforced.

However,in the absence of your good self actually sitting on the D & G Jury I have to assume you will simply carry on with disregarding whatever other interested individuals post on the topic,so I will not dwell there.....;)

The double-jobbing issue here is equally interesting as from my perspective It appears to be misunderstood.

There is no law to prevent any citizen from having two (or more) jobs,as long as that person complies with the relevant labour laws.

In a Bus Driver's case this right is somewhat restricted by the seperate requirements of both Driving Hours regulations and the broader based Working Time Directive.

Given that the Dublin Bus employee "featured" on Prime Time was driving a Small Public Service Vehicle (Taxi) which operates for "Private Hire" there well may be some legal argument to be had on this particular issue as to whether the gentleman was contravening the terms of his contract.

What the gentleman did appear to be in breach of was the requirement under the WTA to notify one's primary employer of any other employment which will bring you over your 48Hour average,however all of this will doubtless be addressed in the ongoing Disciplinary proceedings.

What many people appear to be unaware of is the blanket nature of the Working Time Act in relation to ALL work undertaken by an individual.

Under the WTA's provisions it is illegal for an individual to work for more that an average of 48 hours over an agreed aggregated period (usually 17 weeks).

The WTA also specifies rest period's and the manner in which they must be taken,which of themselves may render many "second job's" illegal activities in the eyes of the State.
    Lost Marbles: Now not to go too much into your last post .but you say you work for DB .there in lies part of the problem on your part .im sure you knew loads of drivers who are working the double job in the garages around dublin for years and that it was dangerous to do so.

Oddly enough,Lost Marbles,in some 30 years in and around CIE/Dublin Bus,I've not found that to be the case at all.

The vast majority of DB employee's are mind-numbingly single jobbed.
    Over the years there have been incidences of BusDrivers "caught" driving coaches and engaging in similar work and who have been disciplined up to dismissal for it,however such cases have been rare and when discovered would be the subject of much speculation amongst other employees...the situation described by Lost Marbles would not in any form amount to a "Loads of Drivers" scenario.
    Steph1: Around the country there are probably taxi drivers who because of lack of business have taken up a second job. For example if somebody is working Monday to Wednesday and then drives a taxi at the weekend I dont have or see a problem with that.

It's interesting that Steph1 comes at this from a different perspective,which appears to regard Taxi-Driving as a part-time occupation.

One of the few areas where I agree with Taxi Industry spokespersons is in their opposition to "Part-Timers" becoming the norm.

The reality is that Taxi Driving is seen as a viable,cash-rich and largely unscrutinized form of work for a great many people already in Full-Time work in other area's.

Teachers,Civil Servants,Butchers,Bakers and Candlestick Makers all figure alongside Busdrivers as suitable for Taxi "Weekend Work" ,much to the chagrin of the Full-Time Taxi Drivers who see their chosen career steadily being turned into a largely Part-Time occupation,with the attendant lowering of standards which comes with that.

A full-time Taxi industry Properly Regulated by a Proper Regulator would be more than able to satisfy Dublins Taxi requirements with far fewer vehicles and drivers if an operational structure was in place,for example,to require Taxi drivers to provide minimum levels of service during specified periods with structured shifts and standby resources available for use if necessary.

That is not likely to happen as long as the Industry continues on its merry deregulated way,with only the Taxidrivers themselves deciding the hours they wish to work. :rolleyes:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

To clarify, every time I am in or around Dublin I notice the aforementioned behaviour of some Dublin bus drivers, I am also aware from posts in other threads of Dublin bus regulations and disciplinary action against those found to have been using phones including handsfree kits or music headphones etc.

I should really make notes and take pictures for reporting purposes. I also note from my observations that IMHO a larger proportion of said drivers(more than half) are of African origin or descent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Can we keep this on-topic about the Dodgy Cabs program?

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭dirtynosebeps

no offence taken losty. to answer your question , yes i have raised this with management and let me views be known on this issue quite strongly in fact. i know of one particular garage where management/inspectors went around checking cars to see who were taxi drivers. but then goal posts changed and that stopped.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    To clarify, every time I am in or around Dublin I notice the aforementioned behaviour of some Dublin bus drivers, I am also aware from posts in other threads of Dublin bus regulations and disciplinary action against those found to have been using phones including handsfree kits or music headphones etc.

I should really make notes and take pictures for reporting purposes. I also note from my observations that IMHO a larger proportion of said drivers(more than half) are of African origin or descent.
    chris i'd like foggy's opinion on this please.it kinda relates to the thread in that the vast majority of that programme was to do with non nationals with the exception of the N.C.T. foggy are you saying that the majority of offenders you see using mobile phones/ handsets etc. are of african origin/ non national?. also i see i didn't get answer to an earlier question so i'll ask it again "can you report a driver to the regulator for not knowing where they are going? and if a driver has been reported for over charging is the claimant refunded anything? ,the latter being theft/ robbery".?

• Advertisement

Yes Dirtynosebeps in my opinion and from my limited observations of busses in dublin i would say that the majority of drivers using headphones phones or handsfree are of african origin/non national but i have seen other drivers doing the same and also many many taxi drivers using mobile phones while pulling out of ranks and negotiating major junctions.

As for the prime time special and the NCT test, it now seems there are dozens of testers and former testers contacting RTE to tell their stories of how they got bonuses to get more tests done in their shift so if they spent 30minutes on each car they would get nothing but if they did three cars an hour they could expect a hefty bonus, but they say the only way to do more cars is to "skimp" on the test!

They also tell a story of new equipment giving false results while being tested yet the customers affected were not retested free and had to pay all the retest fees and were severely inconvenienced!

I would say it is not just cabs that come out of these centres in a dodgy state!

Advertisement