Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dodgy Cabs Ltd.

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭lost marbles

@alex look lets not nit pick on how many "loads" can be . the fact is that its going on .one taxi four passengers ,one bus fifty passengers . one person to be killed from either because of the disreguard of said driver .not good .:(
    i done a nine hour shift last night in my taxi ,and i was in no fit state to drive a doubledecker bus by the end of it .
    im sure management of DB would,nt be too pleased to be paying me a wage the same as the guy who uses his rest off properly .if they knew i was after doing a shift in a taxi before i logged on .
    lets be real here .its going on in "loads" of public service areas and the blind eye mentality has to stop .

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭dirtynosebeps

foggy i managed to see some of last nights prime time and i dear say that spanish crowd have to go. it's seems to be riddled with corruption.
    @alex look lets not nit pick on how many "loads" can be . the fact is that its going on .one taxi four passengers ,one bus fifty passengers . one person to be killed from either because of the disreguard of said driver .not good .frown.gif
    i done a nine hour shift last night in my taxi ,and i was in no fit state to drive a doubledecker bus by the end of it .
    im sure management of DB would,nt be too pleased to be paying me a wage the same as the guy who uses his rest off properly .if they knew i was after doing a shift in a taxi before i logged on .
    lets be real here .its going on in "loads" of public service areas and the blind eye mentality has to stop .
    i think as a whole the public service providers needs to be cleaned up and out. we ( bus drivers) had our time on prime time a while back and got a bashing over it. theres to much going on within the taxi industry for it to be ignored but alas we forget we live in this debt and corrupt country where anything goes. it doesn't matter who we have running this state nothing will be done about it. as for those working in the public sector. i often see a soldier in uniform driving his taxi down bus lanes to get to work and as soon as he hit the barracks the roof sign comes off. another guy i know of had more than 24 penalty points driving a taxi but was using a false drivers license un-surprisingly it was a non national.
    as for what should be done. anyone with a full time job should be disqualified from applying for a taxi/ hackey license, more so if you drive for a living. the criminality end of it should be stamped out immediately,more stricter sentences applied than the ordinary job public. we all know about the drugs mules driving taxi's. at the moment only truck drivers and bus drivers are required by law to do a C.P.C. course.this should be also applied to taxi/ hackey license holders. a way of logging how many hours a taxi driver does per day. someone mentioned a taco-graph on one of the programmes. at moment theres nothing in place for this. stricter guide lines of anyone entering or already within the taxi industry.if the guards cant do a criminal back gorund check then you dont get in to it either. jasus you could write a book on what needs to be overhauled within the industry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

foggy i managed to see some of last nights prime time and i dear say that spanish crowd have to go. it's seems to be riddled with corruption.
    i think as a whole the public service providers needs to be cleaned up and out. we ( bus drivers) had our time on prime time a while back and got a bashing over it. theres to much going on within the taxi industry for it to be ignored but alas we forget we live in this debt and corrupt country where anything goes. it doesn't matter who we have running this state nothing will be done about it. as for those working in the public sector. i often see a soldier in uniform driving his taxi down bus lanes to get to work and as soon as he hit the barracks the roof sign comes off. another guy i know of had more than 24 penalty points driving a taxi but was using a false drivers license un-surprisingly it was a non national.
    as for what should be done. anyone with a full time job should be disqualified from applying for a taxi/ hackey license, more so if you drive for a living. the criminality end of it should be stamped out immediately,more stricter sentences applied than the ordinary job public. we all know about the drugs mules driving taxi's. at the moment only truck drivers and bus drivers are required by law to do a C.P.C. course.this should be also applied to taxi/ hackey license holders. a way of logging how many hours a taxi driver does per day. someone mentioned a taco-graph on one of the programmes. at moment theres nothing in place for this. stricter guide lines of anyone entering or already within the taxi industry.if the guards cant do a criminal back gorund check then you dont get in to it either. jasus you could write a book on what needs to be overhauled within the industry.
    What is needed is a standard taxi like they have in new york, and have them fitted with tachometer and let it be the only vehicle used by taxi or hackney drivers, mini busses should also have a tacho fitted.

Anyone with a criminal conviction(no matter how small or insignificant) should be barred from holding a psv licence or operating a psv or spsv and if your bona fides cannot be properly assertained by the Guards you should be barred also.

It shold also be an offence for anyone driving for a living or flying etc from working a 2nd job even if only part-time

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

@alex look lets not nit pick on how many "loads" can be . the fact is that its going on .one taxi four passengers ,one bus fifty passengers . one person to be killed from either because of the disreguard of said driver .not good .:(

Very good Lost Marbles,however I'm not nitpicking on the definition of "loads" but once again I have to state that in my experience it is a very small number of DB staff rather than a significant number.
    Dirtynosebeps Theres to much going on within the taxi industry for it to be ignored but alas we forget we live in this debt and corrupt country where anything goes. it doesn't matter who we have running this state nothing will be done about it. as for those working in the public sector. i often see a soldier in uniform driving his taxi down bus lanes to get to work and as soon as he hit the barracks the roof sign comes off. another guy i know of had more than 24 penalty points driving a taxi but was using a false drivers license un-surprisingly it was a non national.
    as for what should be done. anyone with a full time job should be disqualified from applying for a taxi/ hackey license, more so if you drive for a living. the criminality end of it should be stamped out immediately,more stricter sentences applied than the ordinary job public. we all know about the drugs mules driving taxi's. at the moment only truck drivers and bus drivers are required by law to do a C.P.C. course.this should be also applied to taxi/ hackey license holders. a way of logging how many hours a taxi driver does per day. someone mentioned a taco-graph on one of the programmes. at moment theres nothing in place for this. stricter guide lines of anyone entering or already within the taxi industry.

It's interesting that the views of former Garda Commissioner Donnellan,which recommended the fingerprinting of ALL Taxi Drivers as a means of making a positive identity confirmation
    ,appear to have been disregarded in the flurry of activity surrounding the Busdriver issue.
    When one hears this type of recommendation from such a high-profile figure then it's time to take careful note.

However,disregarding all of the Prime Time content the fact remains that the Taxi Regulator in particular has quite literally been found asleep at the wheel with her on-air responses consisting of attempts to lay-off the blame against any other entity unlucky enough to be within her range.

A truly pathetic performance and reasaon enough to disband the Taxi Directorate and return the operational supervision of Taxi's directly to the Gardai.

Give the Garda Carriage Offices the resources and let them at it.
    The ability of a Garda to take immediate action far outweighs the mountain of form filling and administrative nonsense which surrounds the Regulators so called actions.

As for the associated sub-plot of the A++ NCT scenario,Dirtynosebeps has it well sussed here ......
    foggy i managed to see some of last nights prime time and i dare say that Spanish crowd have to go. it's seems to be riddled with corruption.

What I'm particularly interested in is the reasoning and mechanism behind the loss of the original NCT contract by the Swiss based SGDS group....this was/is a ten year contract reportedly worth €400 Million...That is SERIOUS money and it appears to have changed hands very quietly indeed.

The numbers of so-called whistle-blowers now emerging after the Prime-Time programme is now into double figures,why this sudden explosion of concern ?...is it new ?...was there a pre-existing level of disaffection or is it only since the A++ company took over..?

So many questions....:confused:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Very good Lost Marbles,however I'm not nitpicking on the definition of "loads" but once again I have to state that in my experience it is a very small number of DB staff rather than a significant number.

It's interesting that the views of former Garda Commissioner Donnellan,which recommended the fingerprinting of ALL Taxi Drivers as a means of making a positive identity confirmation
    ,appear to have been disregarded in the flurry of activity surrounding the Busdriver issue.
    When one hears this type of recommendation from such a high-profile figure then it's time to take careful note.

However,disregarding all of the Prime Time content the fact remains that the Taxi Regulator in particular has quite literally been found asleep at the wheel with her on-air responses consisting of attempts to lay-off the blame against any other entity unlucky enough to be within her range.

A truly pathetic performance and reasaon enough to disband the Taxi Directorate and return the operational supervision of Taxi's directly to the Gardai.

Give the Garda Carriage Offices the resources and let them at it.
    The ability of a Garda to take immediate action far outweighs the mountain of form filling and administrative nonsense which surrounds the Regulators so called actions.

As for the associated sub-plot of the A++ NCT scenario,Dirtynosebeps has it well sussed here ......

What I'm particularly interested in is the reasoning and mechanism behind the loss of the original NCT contract by the Swiss based SGDS group....this was/is a ten year contract reportedly worth €400 Million...That is SERIOUS money and it appears to have changed hands very quietly indeed.

The numbers of so-called whistle-blowers now emerging after the Prime-Time programme is now into double figures,why this sudden explosion of concern ?...is it new ?...was there a pre-existing level of disaffection or is it only since the A++ company took over..?

So many questions....:confused:
    maybe this crowd put in much lower quote in the tender process and now must skimp and cut corners to get the job done to the targets they agreed to

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

foggy_lad wrote: »
    It shold also be an offence for anyone driving for a living or flying etc from working a 2nd job even if only part-time
    Speaking of life threating overwork did we ever get the working hours for juniour doctors sorted ?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Speaking of life threating overwork did we ever get the working hours for juniour doctors sorted ?

yes, but I've heard from a friend in the job that it hasn't made a huge difference

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭ciarak7511

This industry really needs to be regulated properly, not just for the public but for the livelihood of all the genuine fulltime taxi drivers out there who are just trying to make a living

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

You wouldn't believe it if you didn't read it!! Are these judges even on the same planet as us?

Independant.ie Link

Thursday May 26 2011

A MAN with a conviction for brothel-keeping had his taxi driving licence returned yesterday after he said he needed it to make a living.

David Purcell (59) appeared at a hearing at the Four Courts in Dublin yesterday.

The court heard how Purcell failed to have his Public Service Vehicle (PSV) driving licence renewed by gardai earlier this year because of a conviction for brothel-keeping.

The case followed revelations in an RTE 'Prime Time Investigates' programme earlier this month which showed 7,000 taxi drivers have a criminal conviction -- or one in seven of all taxi drivers.

In 2007, Purcell, from Tymonville Park, Tallaght, west Dublin, was fined €1,200 after pleading guilty for his part in a prostitution racket.

Giving evidence yesterday when appealing the PSV decision by gardai, Purcell said he played a minor role in the brothel and was caught up with another man who was the main player. He said he was convicted because of his connection with the man, who had been under surveillance.

Explaining how he got involved, he said he met a prostitute in a pub one night who asked him if he had a premises that she could use.

Purcell would let her use a flat where he was staying, she would pay him and he would pay the rent.

The prostitute had a friend who would also use the flat for the purposes of selling sex.

Concerns

Responding to questions from Garda Superintendent Declan Brogan, Purcell said the men would contact the girls on phone numbers through a website.

Counsel for Purcell said he was sorry for what he had done and had not been involved in any similar activity since his conviction.

He said Purcell required a PSV licence because taxi driving was his only means to make a living.

Giving her decision, Judge Mary Collins said there were significant concerns about the use of taxis by vulnerable people.

"I have concerns about hailing taxis at night myself. I don't do it," she said.

She accepted that Purcell played a minor role in brothel-keeping and returned his PSV licence on strict condition that he reported to gardai every three months.

Purcell agreed to the stipulations which included maintaining a clean record and staying out of trouble.

He declined to comment afterwards.

- Luke Byrne

Irish Independent

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

^ I'm not sure that guy is a dangerous criminal. He sounds more like he was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

My slight problem with this is where do we draw the line. If someone has a conviction for not having a TV licence should they have their PSV licence revoked? And if not why not? And why just PSV licences... are people with convictions barred from driving delivery vans, or working in the deli counter in Tesco?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭lost marbles

n97 mini wrote: »
    ^ I'm not sure that guy is a dangerous criminal. He sounds more like he was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

My slight problem with this is where do we draw the line. If someone has a conviction for not having a TV licence should they have their PSV licence revoked? And if not why not? And why just PSV licences... are people with convictions barred from driving delivery vans, or working in the deli counter in Tesco?
    when the guards objected to him holding a spsv then they must have had good reasons for it .

when the guards objected to him holding a spsv then they must have had good reasons for it .

Apparently not good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭the varg

I heard of a guy that loaded two Technics 1210 record decks into the boot of a taxi, went back into the shop where he purchased them to collect a mixer only to find that the taxi dissapeared when he got back out. The Taxi driver was not Irish.

And your point is what exactly?

the varg wrote: »
    And your point is what exactly?

That Irish people aren't the only ones capable of being dishonest?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

Long hours and also that truck and bus drivers are also driving taxis when they are supposed to be on mandatory rest periods.

There should be tachomitors on all commercial vehicles I.including all city busses and taxis!

I agree with Foggy Lad-

No sense in an eight seat passenger vehicle driver being subject to different work hour rules than a 9 seat passenger driver.
    Fit them all with tachographs, it would even out the playing field.

I agree with Foggy Lad-

No sense in an eight seat passenger vehicle driver being subject to different work hour rules than a 9 seat passenger driver.
    Fit them all with tachographs, it would even out the playing field.
    But do it at cost price with any profits being donated to St Vincent de Paul. Otherwise it just becomes another way for the regulator to amass a huge fortune from drivers like with charges for calibrating meters then more charges for having the meter sealed etc etc and I am sure there are also exorbitant prices for other taxi stuff like the cards that must be displayed in the front and back and the latest regulatory nonsense to fleece taxis the area letter on the roof sign!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,792 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

There are no tachographs on scheduled bus services.

There are no tachographs on scheduled bus services.
    There should be on all public service vehicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

There should be on all public service vehicles.

Actually,in a way Foggy_Lad,there is .....:)

There is a requirement for all licenced bus services operating within the 50 km radius to carry a "Running Board".

This item will have on it full details of all duties to be operated by each drive allocated to that Board during it's operational day.

Although not hi-tech or glamorous it is a simple and effective method of allowing any Public Scheduled Service to be checked by a Garda or authorised person.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Yes, but it is subject to drivers being on the take, pocketing fares etc as per foggy_lad

• Advertisement

parsi wrote: »
    Yes, but it is subject to drivers being on the take, pocketing fares etc as per foggy_lad
    It would be subject to abuse more easily than a tachometer and taxis are not required to keep this record.

Advertisement