Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Adventure Racing Camel Bak

• 11-05-2011 1:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Guys just getting into the Adventure racing this year and was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the best of the back/hydration packs. I have used one of the Camel Bak ones with a few zip pouches and the platypus, which if I'm honest was even overkill for the WAR Sports event I did but looking to the future I can imagine needing more room for gels and equipment, etc, etc, as I get fitter and distances rise. Anyway any info would be welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Fi H

Check out the ones they sell in Decathelon. They are a lot cheaper and better organised than the camelpac ones i have seen. I have one and my friend has a different one and we are both really happy with them! Only problem is they are in belfast or london!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

I have a camelbak, and in hindsight, its not the best.
    The pockets aren't the easiest to get at without opening it up.

My advice is pick one with plenty of external stretch pockets, with possibly one larger one that could be used to stuff a jacket in.

After Connemara at the weekend, the ease of packing and unpacking a jacket quickly should be considered.

My bag has plenty of space, probably a little too much, but not so easy to get in & out of on the run. Pack anything you hope not to need in the main section, and anything you think you're going to need in the external pockets.

Also - as I realised on Saturday before starting out, don't overdo it on the drinks in your pack. I had 1 litre in my pouch, realised it was a lot of weight & that I was highly unlikely to use it before getting to my two drinks on the bike.
    So I reduced it to 500ml, had half the weight to carry, guzzled my drinks on the bike, and when I got to the kayak timeout, found only a few drops left & refilled with another 500ml to get me to the finish.

So the pack you'll need will depend on the type of race you'll be doing, and your food, drink & equipment requirements for it.
    Don't overdo the size, and try and find one with plenty of external storage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 WexFj40

Cheers for the replies guys. Those Kalenjii bags look very good. Fi H are you guys using the small, medium or large versions. I would say even the small looks ig enough for anything I would be tackling but you might let me know. Cheers again.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭gottarun

I like the look of the iNOV-8 hydration packs. The weight of the water is carried on your hips and there is an option of clip in units for the chest of the backpack so you can carry energy gels / drinks & other items where they are easy to get to.

http://www.inov-8.com/Products-Detail.asp?PG=PG2&L=26&P=5050973013

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭rockman15

If your looking for a great bag thats compact enough for running Id recommend the camelbak M.U.L.E. have never had any problems with and it stores enough food and water to for a long day and your waterproofs. found some great bargins online there recently when picking up a second one.

• Advertisement
Advertisement