Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you been to Imaginosity (Dublin Children's Museum)?

Options
  • 11-05-2011 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭

My child's 5th birthday is coming up shortly and I was thinking about taking her to "Imaginosity" as a treat. It would involve a four hour round trip as I'd be travelling from East Clare, so before I commit to it, I'd like to hear what others thought of it when they took their children.

Many thanks, Mrs D :)

PS: The visit to Imaginosity lasts two hours approx. and if we go, it would be early in the morning, leaving the afternoon free to visit another place, Does anyone have any suggestions for the afternoon? (we visited the Zoo last week so that is out).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

I saw an add for that aswell, looks cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

I haven't been myself but some friends have and they say it's fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

I went with my 3 nephews last year, aged at the time 9, 6 and 2 and they had a ball. They loved it and there was plenty for all 3 of them to do, together and individually. It was a lovely day :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

barbiegirl wrote: »
    I went with my 3 nephews last year, aged at the time 9, 6 and 2 and they had a ball. They loved it and there was plenty for all 3 of them to do, together and individually. It was a lovely day :-)
    Thanks Barbiegirl. On their website they say that each visit lasts two hours, are they strict about the time limit and is two hours long enough for the children to enjoy all of the activities?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

It is a strict 2 hours, basically you get there at the appointed time, everyone is let in together, then, similar to a swimming pool, with 15 minutes to go they start announcing the end of the session.
    Certainly our 3 were satisfied with the 2 hours, I think they got to do everything they wanted to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

barbiegirl wrote: »
    It is a strict 2 hours
    That's a bit mad, as on their website, they say
    At €8.50 for children and adults, €6.50 for toddlers, €2 for those over 6 months (under 6mths free) for a (minimum) 2 hour visit

the_syco wrote: »
    That's a bit mad, as on their website, they say
    I'm surprised they charge adults the same price as children :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭rambutman

i've been - its good. On a good day there's a roof garden too. I found though with having to pay full whack for the adults and children it can be pricey for a couple of hours fun.....add in a coffee, etc and you'll not have much left from 50 for 2 adults + 2 kids.
    The kids loved it though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

Imaginosity operates a 'timed ticketing' system during school and seasonal holidays, bank holidays, Fridays and other busy periods.

During these times a minimum visit of 2 hours will be guaranteed. When the two-hour visit comes to an end, all visitors will be asked to exit the building. If you wish to use the Cafe, during timed-ticketing, you must use it within your two-hour visit, and not after.

Sounds like the 2 hr limit is only during certain days/holidays

Ayla wrote: »
    Sounds like the 2 hr limit is only during certain days/holidays
    I emailed Imaginosity and they have advised that the two hour limit applies mostly at weekends, bank holidays and when they have school tours visiting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Greystoner

It is quite pricey really, but probably worth a visit.(I have only been the once, but will go again when I have spare cash (may be a while then!)

I suggest a bit of fresh air afterwards, and would recommend Cabinteely park. Nice play area and you could have a picnic there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

it is brilliant. the kids absolutely love it!! very well thought out layout of games/workshops/constructions

Thank very much guys for all the info, I've just booked our tickets!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 fatin952004

hi there
    I want to go to Imaginosity next week with my son (he is 4 years old)
    Just wondering do I need some extra money (coins) to use it inside as some of play centers sometimes they charge extra money for riding a car or somethin like that
    many thanks

hi there
    I want to go to Imaginosity next week with my son (he is 4 years old)
    Just wondering do I need some extra money (coins) to use it inside as some of play centers sometimes they charge extra money for riding a car or somethin like that
    many thanks
    No, the admission fee covers everything. However, they have a little cafe and a souvenir shop so you might want some money for those. When we were there the two hours flew by, my five year old absolutely loved it though, it is definitely worth a visit. I'm glad we didn't eat in the cafe as it would have taken alot off time out of the session.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 fatin952004

thak you very much

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

We are bringing the 2 year old there this week:)
    I can't wait it is a day out for all of us;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

I went for a birthday party in April my little lad was only 18 months. I spent the day running around after him as he kept legging it over to the stairs which were extremely dangerous and not at all cordoned off:eek: I think he is just overly hyper though! I'd deffo recommend it for maybe ages 3 up it's so cool the little supermarket and eddie rockets:D The coffee shop is quite expensive though

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭MaudL

Is there anything that would justify an 8€ admission fee for adults? I mean, it's not like the parents are going to use the exhibits... :confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Greystoner

MaudL, I also find the E8.50 steep for the entrance fee. To be honest, if it were a flat E5 for each of us, we would go much more often, and the 'museum' would therefore make more money overtime, if you get what I mean?!

ziggy23, The first time I went I spent all my time chasing my 18 month old around, again up and down the stairs! Second time I went, my then 4 year old got stuck in the 'climber' and had to be rescued! The 2 and a half year old loved the play cafe and the play shop, but had a tantrum when it was time to leave. I think the youngest age to get any real benefit would be 3 years old, but for a 6-7 year old I think it is bang on the nail.

2 hours does seem enough though, surprisingly. Sometimes they do art workshop things, ask at the desk when you go in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

went once and it was enjoyable but too expensive. the charge for adults is ridiculous. it would cost our family €32 to go and i woul dhave to carry my 24lb baby for the duration, not ideal.
    Have not been back since and wont go while the adult charge is in place - would not mind a nominal adult charge - like 3/4 euros, or to even get a cup of coffee in the cafe as part of the charge, but to have to buy expensive food after paying in , no way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

I was considering bringing my little girl here for the day on her birthday, just as an alternative to the zoo if it was raining. Going from what I have read on this thread though I think she would be too young to really enjoy it (She would be a year old and is just starting to walk recently) especially considering the price!! That charge for adults to walk around supervising their kids is mental!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Imaginosity

Imaginosity, Dublin Children's Museum is a child-centred creative, educational and interactive space for children up to 9 years of age and their families. The admission price is 8 euro for children over 3 years of age and for adults. Please refer to our website for other admission information.We charge adults an entrance fee as Imaginosity is based on the principle that the museum is an interactive space for children AND their parents/carers etc. All exhibits, bar the Climber, can be and are, used by adults. The idea being that parents act as the lead educator in a child's experience at Imaginosity - the child follows the adult's lead. We encourage and enable all parents to interact with their children while at Imaginosity.

Imaginosity has 2 specific, secure, safe areas for younger children (one on Level 1 and one on Level 2)which are soft, tactile, enclosed and designed with the development needs of this age group in mind. Both areas are full of stimulation and exciting opportunities for discovery, play and learning.

Imaginosity is a registered charity and not for profit, so all admissions, which is our greatest source of income are extremely important to us. We welcome all feedback and consistently strive to provide the best educational and fun experience for all children and families who visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

I have actually given that feedback over a year ago.
    Our parent and toddler group considered going but all parents were in agreement that they were not prepared to pay full price to attend a children's activity.
    I presume adults may not attend without children? that is the test for me. the zoo - yes adults can and do go without children, the circus, yes, cinemas - but for kids clubs adults are not charged. Playcenters: no and adults are not charged.
    Imaginosity does sit somewhere between a playcenter and a destination, but the charges are prohibitive.
    For the record I feel the same way about other children's destinations - farms, shows, etc.

Advertisement