Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Java +???

Options
  • 11-05-2011 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Ive been learning java (using ECLIPSE)for the last few months now and was wondering what were peoples' recommendations on something to compliment it? ie; XML, HTML etc?? I have some UNIX knowledge, would it be worthwhile to work further at this?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭fatlog

Hi,

really depends on what you have been focussing on with Java and what your background in development is. Presuming you have been concentrating on Java basics, i would personally recommend looking at some frameworks if you haven't done so already. Look at Spring and Hibernate. These can lead on to Web Services which can incorporate XML etc...
    These are essentially what JavaEE is.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭selfdiy

+1 for Spring and Hibernate.

If you have a good handle on Java, i'd start looking at tomcat and mysql, you can use spring and hibernate to interact with these and it'll give you some exposure to frameworks, databases and application servers.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Casey_81

If you are already using Eclipse as your IDE, then i recommend having a look at GWT

Advertisement