Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Freshwater Crawfish

• 11-05-2011 2:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,795 ✭✭✭✭

Salivating reading this and I know they're found in our waters, does anyone know if they can be harvested on a grand scale?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Austropotamobius pallipes
    They are protected in our waters, There aren't a huge amount of them TBH they are under threat because of a number of issues. Water quality, introduced diseases among them.
    While the UK struggles with escaped signal crayfish we don't have them here fortunately and so far we have been lucky to keep what are basically Iceage remnant populations.
    There was a survey done a few years back and they found that lots of lakes that previously had populations no longer had crayfish present.
    Sad really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,795 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Dammit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,489 ✭✭✭✭Alun

It's a big thing in Sweden around August to hold a Kräftskiva, or crayfish party. The native freshwater crayfish are in pretty short supply there too, and fishing for them is restricted, so apparently most of them are imported from the US or Far East.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Bah, TBH a good fistfull of proper Irish Nephrops are worth more than any of those little muddy gimps. Same thing but tastier and widely available.
    The only reason that they eat those crawfish is that they can't get Prawns like ours at a reasonable price.
    The trick is to cook them in boiling salty water, as soon as the water comes back to the boil take them out and plunge them into ice water, this stops the overcooking which can make them mushy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,097 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Anyone know where you can get them? Frozen and imported obviously. Like the big Louisiana types.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,688 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Last time I had crayfish in a shell they were a bitch to peel and as mentioned above if they’re overcooked, the flesh just turns to mush.

Looking for these lads so I can do a boil like this one I had in New Orleans.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Anne Uumellmahaye

I’m looking to make one Also. Might you know where to get snowcrab at a reasonable price in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Anne Uumellmahaye

Yeah, that’s what I’ve been seeing. So much cheaper in the uk! I believe spider crab is a good substitute tho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Guys I remember Ikea having them in their freezer section

Advertisement