Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

150m of gravel driveway, how much?

• 11-05-2011 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

How much would it cost to make a 150 metre gravel driveway.

150m long by 3m wide.

As already posted elsewhere, I'm looking into building a house on my agricultural land (grass) and will need to run a gravel road into the potential site.

The land is very dry year-round, but I have no idea how much stone and gravel I would need to make 150 metres of driveway. Is there a rule of thumb for this?

Apologies about the probably very basic question but I know nothing about this sort of thing. :o

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

in its simplest terms, you will probably need a JCB for 2 days to clear off the topsoil. if you can keep it on site, alls the better. if not, you will have to get a way of getting rid of it offsite.

you will probably need the JCB for another day and a bit, depending on the scope of the driveway. in all, €900 should cover a man and his digger.

for the stone, it will more than likely be about 100mm deep. therefore you will need 45m3 of stone. This is nearly 100 tonne of stone, and without knowing price of stone where you are, you should be able to get some sort of standard 2 inch down for about €8/tonne.

so you are looking at about €1700 excl VAT. you will pay 21% vat on the stone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭mistermister

You'd want more like 30 cm deep for longevity or it's likely that the stone will be compacted into the soil with all the heavy traffic during construction.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Larna

Thanks so much for the very informative replies!

I like to have a general idea before diving in headfirst looking for quotes off people.

I was wondering roughly how deep it would need to go with all of the heavy machinery crossing during construction phase.

Thanks for the guidelines!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,277 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Topsoil should be stripped to a depth of approx 200 - 220mm. (8" - 9"). You then need to decide what level your finished driveway will be. Will you raise it a couple of inches above the surrounding grassed area or maintain at the same level?

The finished surface - tarmac/concrete/rolled dust blinding etc needs to be decided or at least allowed for as the various finishes will have different depths.

Personally I wouldn't put anything less than 150mm (6") stone down as that will provide both a good base for and stand up reasonably well to site traffic. That depth of stone at the distance and width given will equate to 67.5 cubic metres.

Advertisement