Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbours doing work on their home, noise at all hours :(

Options
  • 11-05-2011 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭

As per title my neighbours are currently putting an extension on the back of their house. The father is a carpenter and he and two early 20's sons are doing the work. They generally start up about 7 or 8 in the evening, break at some stage for dinner and keep going until midnight-1 ish. They seem to have a few cans in the evening when they're doing the work. I called over before to ask could they keep it down a bit and i was told sure they're only lads relaxing after a days work. I then said to the mother that i thought with building tools had to be dropped at a certain time so there wasn't disruptive noise in the area. Shen said they weren't relly doing work but having a few drinks with a bit of hammering thrown in, then called me a jealous b!tch and said she couldnt wait to throw her fab new house in my face :rolleyes:

Also they are a corner house, and they constantly leave building materials on the public pathway around their house.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

in short a noise abatement order. get recordings of the noise preferibly on video so the date and time is clear lodge a complaint with the local district court.

you've tried the "have a word in their ear" route and its obvious it didnt work this is your only other option

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

slowmoe wrote: »
    they constantly leave building materials on the public pathway around their house.

Any suggestions?

On a windy night, the building materials might blow away ;)
    Only messing, but I would think leaving materials on the footpath will leave them open to a claim if someone trips over them. Could be a hefty claim.
    Might be worth pointing that

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Humans eh!

Trip over said materials and sue the hole off them.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭slowmoe

I complained to the council and someone visited them. They just said they would clean the stuff off the path and that was it. They denied building work at night and just said the lads like to sit out with a few drinks. I can even hear power tools after midnight etc and they're not next door to me! They're across the road! They leave huge planks and even bricks and bags of cement out on the pathway. A bag of cement was stolen from them and they rang the gardai!!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

photos and video top teh council and file a noise abatement order. that will sort them out quick enough, unfortuanlty any relationship you will have with them will probably be ruined after that but then they dont sound like the type you'd want to be friendly with in fairness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

They sound like lovely people! :rolleyes:

See Section 16

http://www.environ.ie/en/Publications/Environment/Miscellaneous/FileDownLoad,1319,en.pdf

I had thought there was set times for construction noise to be allowed but maybe not. Log onto the county council website and check their planning permission, see if theres any attachments regarding what times of day work can be carried out. I know for south dub, all the planning apps are available online, dont know about the other councils tho.

Not sure about the storing building material on a public space. Believe there are some regulations regarding how they are cordoned off, eg. cones etc.
    A relative of mine caused damage to their car by hitting a load of gravel which had been stored on the side of the road, as a neighbor was repaving their driveway. No cones nothing. Took photos, contacted the paving company, they paid for the repairs to the car without any fight! Clearly they knew they were in the wrong.

Advertisement