Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Helicopters in city centre, middle of the night

Options
  • 11-05-2011 3:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi there

living in city centre, along the quays and regularly over the last one - two weeks, there's been a helicopter flying about a lot! I presume it's something to do with the queen's visit but it started very early. And it's pretty annoying when you're asleep and awake to what sounds like a Vietnam war movie at usually 2 or 3am...
    Anyone else heard it and know anything about it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

The Garda helicopters are always flying about. I've lived in the Dublin 6W/12 area for the past 5 years and a night rarely goes by without me hearing it overhead. You'll get used to it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Xeroxer

Thanks Cosmic.
    I've lived here for nearly 5 years too and usually we only hear them when someone has an accident in the Liffey. Definitely think there's something unusual going on... it's so much more frequent at the moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Yup heard it last night, I said in a different thread I presumed it was a British or American copter as it was definitely an army one, according to my dad though it's an Army Ranger Wing in training for the state visits. It just seems to fly around in circles for a couple of hours, during the day and then again at night. Last night it was right over my house at 2.30am.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

The Army AW's have been going to and from Baldonnel at 12/1am for the past week or so which is very unusual,they are much louder then the Garda chopper and have woken me up a good few times,I presume they are out training for the queen and Obama's upcoming visits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭diddlybit

In D7 at teh moment, and they've been around for the best part of a week or two every night. It's pretty annoying.

• Advertisement

Ah my bad. I heard it really loudly myself the past couple of nights but I just presumed it was the Garda one flying low :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Xeroxer

I recognise they need to train but does it have to be the middle of the night, over such a populated area?!
    The sooner these visits are over, the better!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

The Gardaí are also out spraying the outline of a spanner across the edges of all the manholes, access holes etc in the paths all around town. (I'm assuming so they can tell if the covers have been tampered with).

They must be expecting someone to plant a bomb.

Great idea to have the Queen visit Dublin, the day before we have 50,000 Portuguese football fans over for the Europa League final. (a lot of whom will probably arrive the day before)

Great planning, as usual :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭problemchimp

The Garda helicopters use infra red scanners at night to look for any unuasally high levels of heat in peoples houses which may be a cannabis growing factory and they have had quite a lot of success in the last 2 years. But I would also expect helicopter activity to be higher with Queenie and O'bama coming soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

I'm in Naas and we've been hearing helicopters going overhead at all hours of night for the last week or so and this is unusual. I'm assuming its related to the lizzie visit. She is due in the county, Gilltown/Kilcullen and the Curragh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

DWCommuter wrote: »
    I'm in Naas and we've been hearing helicopters going overhead at all hours of night for the last week or so and this is unusual. I'm assuming its related to the lizzie visit. She is due in the county, Gilltown/Kilcullen and the Curragh.

Isn't there a section of the Army located out in the Curragh? Could be out there training.

Xeroxer wrote: »
    I recognise they need to train but does it have to be the middle of the night, over such a populated area?!

Where else can you get that experience? Maybe invest in some earplugs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

foreign wrote: »
    Where else can you get that experience? Maybe invest in some earplugs?

Earplugs are useless for myself, they do not block out all the noise. Its really disrespectful for them to be flying at that hour considering they are not catching any crims.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

The sooner this visit comes and goes the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

It seems to be back again, this is ****ing madness for someone to come and visit. It's so bloody annoying, quite frankly taking the bloody biscuit with all this ****e. This is the capital city , people need to work and go about there business FFS

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭ciarak7511

cosmic wrote: »
    The Garda helicopters are always flying about. I've lived in the Dublin 6W/12 area for the past 5 years and a night rarely goes by without me hearing it overhead. You'll get used to it!

Yeah I just moved to D12 and it seems to be quite frequent in this area!

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭boosh_fan

was just overhead in Phibsboro - I'm tired all day today because of that chopper flying above at 2.30am. Need my sleep tonight!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Its out now in Pearse st direction, what are they monitoring? Just put a few Gardai on each street of the royal route would be a better monitor and they do have the numbers for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

It could actually just be on a regular call out,might not be anything to do with auld Liz!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

The one during the night does seem a little more frequent than normal. But I'm in Dublin 8 and it does seem to constantly be over by the canal, especially on weekends, even when the queen isn't visiting.

Did anyone see the guys on four wheel 'quad' type bikes going up and down newmarket today? They had a hose from the bikes and were spraying the bottom of buildings. Very strange.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭vampire of kilmainham

Thanks Cosmic.
    I've lived here for nearly 5 years too and usually we only hear them when someone has an accident in the Liffey. Definitely think there's something unusual going on... it's so much more frequent at the moment!
    it's the garda helicopter they have two of them and you can see them day or night and yes you can hear them as well helicopters do tend to be noisy they are around a bit more latley because of the queens visit...

it wont matter when the visit is over the gardai will still be out in the choppers

msg11 wrote: »
    It seems to be back again, this is ****ing madness for someone to come and visit. It's so bloody annoying, quite frankly taking the bloody biscuit with all this ****e. This is the capital city , people need to work and go about there business FFS
    my heart bleeds for you im overwhelmed with sadness:rolleyes: im shocked that you are discomoded:D:rolleyes:

the garda air support is there to liease with ground units as a lot more can be seen from the skies the helicopters are equipped with infrared scanners and can pick up body heat they can spot people hiding from ground units and inform them where they are by radio communaction they are also equipped with camers which can zoom right in on what is going on below them they can see you big brother is watching you :D:eek:

it's the garda helicopter...
    it wont matter when the visit is...
    my heart bleeds for you..
    the garda air support is there...

You do know there's a milti-quote function, right?! :rolleyes:

Advertisement