Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank of Ireland Home Insurance

• 11-05-2011 3:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has their Home Insurance through BoI/underwritten by RSA? I got a really good quote off them today and it has beaten all of the otehr providers I tried (123.ie, chill.ie, insure.ie, Quinn Direct)?

I'm just wondering if anyone has found them good or is there anything apart from the usual to look out for?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

For home insurance you should query things like the policy excess.

In light of the inclement weather,alot of insurers have put huge excess'es on flood claims and in some instances they have removed flood cover altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

For home insurance you should query things like the policy excess.

In light of the inclement weather,alot of insurers have put huge excess'es on flood claims and in some instances they have removed flood cover altogether.

Yeah they have a seperate excess for flood cover alright! We haven't been afeected by floods yet so fingers crossed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Fingers crossed is right!

One thing Ive found is that insuring through a bank,the policy tends to be more stripped down and can be pretty basic.

I remember speaking to a guy that had his insurance through his bank.The cover was for fire,lightening,explosion and flood.

One of the gullys in the roof started leaking,he called to register a claim and they told him he wasnt covered because the flood was caused by shoddy workmanship,the gullys wernt done with lead which resulted in the leak so it was as case of tough shít paddy for him,this despite the fact the bank sent out their own surveyor to inspect the house prior to letting him draw down the mortgage.The house was about 20 years old so how in the hell could he be held accountable?Didnt matter to them and he ended up having to foot the bill himself so its something else to be aware of.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 PhilK

Hi,

We've just got out renewal notice for our house insurance from RSA and its jumped to nearly double. Anyone else had experiences of large rises in premiums?

And any advice on where to find an alternative?

Phil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

PhilK wrote: »
    Hi,

We've just got out renewal notice for our house insurance from RSA and its jumped to nearly double. Anyone else had experiences of large rises in premiums?

And any advice on where to find an alternative?

Phil

From the motoring section here is a list of insurers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement