Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

smallholding forum ?

• 11-05-2011 3:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Just wondering if we could get a smallholding forum up and going within boards.ie. Somewhere where contacts and advice could be shared rather than within the general boards section.What are your thoughts ? So , I put this out to try to find the level of interest, yours, Fionntan

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Hello,

I would question why? Surely its best to ask questions and advice from all farmers? Probably even better to ask in an open forum, where maybe farmers who concentrate on specific areas can help. IMO

By the way - what exactly is a smallholder? Whats the difference between a smallholder and a small farmer?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 DeniseandGeoff

I thought of suggesting this myself, but I have been asking some questions in the farming forum and have always had a great response, so as John suggests, you may get more reliable information off the guys who do it for a living.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 lissadrone

Hi John, perhaps you are right, but to answer your question . Many smallhoders are working less tha 5 acres and this surely does not make them small farmers , then again what defines farming ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

I would fully support a smallholding forum as I find myself hopping between the gardening/farming/animals and pets forums.

I have three quarters of an acre myself so I'm hardly a farmer. I grow quite a lot of fruit and veg and I've recently acquired two hens so, yes, a smallholder forum please! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 49 scub

You could try the river cottage forum. Smallholding is a bit more established and popular in the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

I also would be in favour of a smallholding forum, something relevant to our climate and needs. There are loads of smallholdings dotted about and would be interested to hear about how people can make a go of things on a small parcel of land.

I have 2 acres of mountain land have aflock of hens, an orchard, veg plot , young woodland and two paddocks intended for sheep or goats.

Permaculture is a system suited to smallholdings and could be combined, you could ask in forum requests in the top menu bar.

scub wrote: »
    You could try the river cottage forum. Smallholding is a bit more established and popular in the UK.

There are increasing numbers of smallholders here, too, hence the need for a forum. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭what happen

Hello,

I would question why? Surely its best to ask questions and advice from all farmers? Probably even better to ask in an open forum, where maybe farmers who concentrate on specific areas can help. IMO

By the way - what exactly is a smallholder? Whats the difference between a smallholder and a small farmer?
    did you put your loft in your shed yet was thinking of putting a loft in a shed myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

I doubt it would get the go ahead. You could try starting a thread in Sys anyway but it'll probably be refused on the grounds that any threads could reasonably belong in Farming or Gardening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭lanod2407

I'm in favour of a separate forum - there's a huge difference between small-holding and farming, and many challenges that are specific to smallholding in terms of scale and objectives.

• Advertisement

lanod2407 wrote: »
    I'm in favour of a separate forum - there's a huge difference between small-holding and farming, and many challenges that are specific to smallholding in terms of scale and objectives.

I agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

did you put your loft in your shed yet was thinking of putting a loft in a shed myself.

No, not yet.
    Was talking to a friend, who knows where two RSJs are coming out of a place, which would do my job. So waiting to see what they like, and how much they would be...
    Not willing to spend much money on it to be honest. It'll be a 'recycle' job all the way ;)

If lissadrone or lanod2407 were to start a thread in the New Forum request section, I will fully support it. :)

Anyone? :)

Doh - where's the 'new forum request' section?? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

I've tried to add a Smallholding forum but there's a bit of a moratorium in place at the moment on adding new forums. ..... I'll try again in a few weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Hm, thought that had been sorted out.

Nope - tried it this evening and no joy. There's a sticky up saying that there's a moratorium on new forums.

Just added the Forum request - all support welcome

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=72867242#post72867242

• Advertisement

Bump! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

bumpety bump

Bump :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I've added my support, I'd be interested in what comes up. Might be worth promoting it in other forums (sustainability etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭nowherefar

*bump*

Still needs more support (25 needed?) so hurry on over if you didn't post there yet..

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=72941776

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭St. Leibowitz

Just added my support. I think there's about 18 supports. We need 25 ?? Please add your support if you want this.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=72941776

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭St. Leibowitz

Looks like there's 22 supports now. Please add your support if you'd like to see this.

There should be more than 25 by now - but the more the merrier if anyone else believes that this is a viable forum.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...2#post72867242

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭corazon

Count me in.

• Advertisement

Anyone else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 230 ✭✭Ding Dong

bump!!! would love to have the forum up and running too!

Update on the forum is that the request I created stays open for 6 weeks from the first post to give everyone an equal chance to respond.

If there is enough support it will go to the admins for discussion, - overall the process should take circa 9 weeks from start to finish.

I made the request on 20-June ....... 5 weeks last Monday, so we're closing in on the end of the 6 week period for people to register their support, and then it's circa 3 weeks for processing and a Yea / Nae somewhere around the middle of August.

If you want to register your support - this is the link:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056304189

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 lildesyl

There used to be an Irish Smallholders Association, based in Tipperary, and they had a forum on their website. Unfortunately, no-one used it, so inevitably it got squatted by spammers.
    I'm now in the process, along with colleagues in Wicklow, of re-launching the Irish Smallholder's Association with a new website and a Smallholder's Hub for events/courses/supplies.
    There will be lots of info on the site, with all your necessary documents right there (herd number applications etc) and we were wondering whether or not to include a forum, after what happened with the last one.
    So.... if we have a forum on Smallholding Ireland, will people really use it? We're hoping to launch the site in a few weeks, so any feedback and suggestions would be really useful.... we want to make it work for everyone!

Lil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

lildesyl wrote: »
    There used to be an Irish Smallholders Association, based in Tipperary, and they had a forum on their website. Unfortunately, no-one used it, so inevitably it got squatted by spammers.
    I'm now in the process, along with colleagues in Wicklow, of re-launching the Irish Smallholder's Association with a new website and a Smallholder's Hub for events/courses/supplies.
    There will be lots of info on the site, with all your necessary documents right there (herd number applications etc) and we were wondering whether or not to include a forum, after what happened with the last one.
    So.... if we have a forum on Smallholding Ireland, will people really use it? We're hoping to launch the site in a few weeks, so any feedback and suggestions would be really useful.... we want to make it work for everyone!

Lil

Here on the farming and Forestry Forum of Boards.ie, we developed a Smallholding Forum in October 2010. While its not the busiest page on the site, it does have quite a few regular posters. It also receives feedback from more experienced farmers who may browse through it from time to time which can be useful.

Feel free to have a look at it here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1511

Please note that advertising or promotion is not allowed as per the terms or our forum charter.

Advertisement