Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

science to increase in points

• 11-05-2011 3:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

im sorry if i sound like an asshole for asking an lc question but does anyone think science will go up
    Additional: im a 420 lad maximum doubt id love to do science in ucd but to hight so i was wondering will science increase overall:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

I did my leaving cert last year and yes the points shot up dramatically for science. About 3 years ago for UCD it used to be 305, then it jumped to 385 and last year it was either 425/435. It was one of the largest increases.

I'm in UCD science now and most predict that the points will rise again.

It's a great course so do your best for the last few weeks and make sure you get as many points as you can as that's all you can do really. You've as much chance as anyone and these last weeks can make a big difference!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭brownlad

Victoria. wrote: »
    I did my leaving cert last year and yes the points shot up dramatically for science. About 3 years ago for UCD it used to be 305, then it jumped to 385 and last year it was either 425/435. It was one of the largest increases.

I'm in UCD science now and most predict that the points will rise again.

It's a great course so do your best for the last few weeks and make sure you get as many points as you can as that's all you can do really. You've as much chance as anyone and these last weeks can make a big difference!

i been wanting to talk to someone from ucd doin that course...i want to ask you would you have rather gone to tcd or do you prefer ucd...its hard not to be one sided i know but ..... tcd science or ucd science....

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

brownlad wrote: »
    i been wanting to talk to someone from ucd doin that course...i want to ask you would you have rather gone to tcd or do you prefer ucd...its hard not to be one sided i know but ..... tcd science or ucd science....

Yeah the whole UCD/TCD thing is never ending haha

I actually chose UCD over TCD in the end even though I had enough points to do whatever science course I wanted. I was impressed by the range of science degrees they offer, I think it's something like 26 and a lot of them would be things that I'm interested in. I'm interested primarily in chemistry but also biology and they have a number of degrees that would combine the two.

I just sat my summer exams last week so I'm finished now and first year was fantastic!!

A great selling point for UCD is that it has semesterisation. That means that you have both Christmas and summer exams. In TCD, only summer. It means that you take 6 modules from September to Christmas and then you're examined on those. After the break you get your results and the next 6 modules are started so you get a completely fresh slate and can put the others behind you. In TCD you're examined on the entire year in May which is so stressful.

UCD is getting a new gym this January and massive swimming pool :D

UCD is also easier for me to get to so that was another thing for me

In a typical day I would have 3 lectures at 50 mins each and then either a lab or a tutorial. The tutorials last an hour and consist of going through questions and then in some modules a short test that goes towards your final grade. The labs last 3 hours and are also marked. There are usually 5 labs per module and overall they're worth about 20% so it's great knowing you have a lot of that without even sitting the final exam :)

I would really recommend UCD to you! It has been a fantastic year for me :D

Victoria. wrote: »
    A great selling point for UCD is that it has semesterisation. That means that you have both Christmas and summer exams. In TCD, only summer. It means that you take 6 modules from September to Christmas and then you're examined on those. After the break you get your results and the next 6 modules are started so you get a completely fresh slate and can put the others behind you. In TCD you're examined on the entire year in May which is so stressful.

UCD is getting a new gym this January and massive swimming pool :D

There are usually 5 labs per module and overall they're worth about 20% so it's great knowing you have a lot of that without even sitting the final exam :)

Just to give a Trinity student view (I'm just finished 2nd year, halfway through my exams)...

No one can really say which is better for you. Not only have neither myself nor Victoria. been to both TCD and UCD, so we can't really compare one to the other, but there's also the fact that where is best for you will depend on your personality, the conditions you work well under, and your situation (money, location, the kind of experience you're looking for).

Trinity does have semesterisation, but yeah we do have all our exams at the end. But to be honest I prefer it that way, at Christmas I wouldn't have been in any state to sit exams. I like having the Christmas break as a holiday where I just have to think about Christmas preparations instead of exams, and then deal with exams all at the same time. For me personally, it's far less stressful this way.

Trinity has a gym and a swimming pool. A regular membership in a city centre gym could cost hundreds, but at Trinity everyone pays ~75 euro at the start of the year, compulsory, and then that's the gym paid for. It's so cheap because instead of choosing to join, you're automatically joined. I'm not really the gym-going type, but because I was already paid in, it was a real incentive to exercise, and I ended up really liking it. They hold classes and stuff there too, I went to a yoga class and it was really good, only cost a fiver. Although there's a yoga society in Trinity that only costs a few euro.

Lastly, in first year, labs here are 30% of your final mark. In second year it depends on the module, but it's around 25-30%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭brownlad

thanks to you both :) ..... you've been alota help:D

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭B_Fanatic

With regards tom the original question, I do think it will go up. : / I think they got rid of the direct entry routes into courses so where there used to be people getting like 510 to go into Neuroscience, they'll now all be going into the omnibus. Seriously disappointing because I really doin't know how much I'm going to get :(

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭LifesaverNiall

last year i think science in trinity was 460 but not everyone who got this got in.. and then science in UCD was 435ish..
    i realy hope science in trinity doesnt jump up by much.. cause i say at most ill hopefully get 480 if i realy push myself now for the next 3 weeks :/

Advertisement