Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pros and Cons of Irish Red Setters

• 11-05-2011 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of getting a red setter puppy, would love to hear peoples advice and experiences of the breed.

Does anyone know anything about the sheantullagh blood line? I've this blood line crop up EVERYWHERE

I'm well aware of the ethics or lack there of in some breeders about inbreeding and puppy farms. I will not buy a pedigree dog without seeing the parents.

A breeder I have been speaking to has sounded absolutely thrilled that this was one of my conditions, I think he's very proud of his dogs.

So what are peoples experience of the breed? are they quick to lean? bit daft or intelligent? males vs females? temperaments? common health issues?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Good to hear you're doing your research. My experience of them is they are incredibly sweet and placid natured dogs. They can be prone to entropion and hip deformities though but im not sure if hip scoring is a requisite for this breed. Ive pet sitted 2 for 8 years and they are the one of the calmest breeds, albeit not the sharpest in the tool box :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Be prepared to take long walks and throw sticks a lot :)

They are "a bit mad"/lively but rather hard to hate even when barking at the door for no good reason! Weeping eyes can be an issue in older ones as is Osteosarcoma (bone) cancer. As they get older thier back legs tend to weaken and late in life this can be a real issue.

In the dogs I've known they are full of beans for about 10 years then slow down before a fairly rapid decline into ill health. Enjoy the first 10 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

mike65 wrote: »
    Be prepared to take long walks and throw sticks a lot :)
    Oh yeh forgot that bit. When let off lead...they like to RUN and RUN and RUN!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

They run, they run and run and run and run. Lovely dogs, slightly daft, very giddy and they run. And run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

Lady Lainy wrote: »
    I'm thinking of getting a red setter puppy, would love to hear peoples advice and experiences of the breed.

Does anyone know anything about the sheantullagh blood line? I've this blood line crop up EVERYWHERE

I'm well aware of the ethics or lack there of in some breeders about inbreeding and puppy farms. I will not buy a pedigree dog without seeing the parents.

A breeder I have been speaking to has sounded absolutely thrilled that this was one of my conditions, I think he's very proud of his dogs.

So what are peoples experience of the breed? are they quick to lean? bit daft or intelligent? males vs females? temperaments? common health issues?

sheantullagh bloodline is an excellent line that has a number of field trial champions,

i own a 14month old red setter, shes 14months needs a good run once a day off lead to keep her happy, but im training her as a gun dog, they a stone mad for the 1st year or so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Lady Lainy

excellent excellent, i'm liking what i'm hearing so far!

Our current dog is walked at least 7 - 10k a day, he's getting on in years, i can see some early arthritis coming on. His litter mates all have it. and we have about 15 acres out the back for them to run mad.

I'm animal care student (finishing exams tomorrow) woo!

so i've been doing a bit of vet nursing, behaviour, kennel management, breed specifics, genetics, nutrition and diet. I'm already qualified and working as a dog groomer for the summer.

I definitely want something with a bit of spunk and personality. not just look pretty.

I know it varies from dog to dog but how are they in general with other dogs/pets?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

excellent excellent, i'm liking what i'm hearing so far!

Our current dog is walked at least 7 - 10k a day, he's getting on in years, i can see some early arthritis coming on. His litter mates all have it. and we have about 15 acres out the back for them to run mad.

I'm animal care student (finishing exams tomorrow) woo!

so i've been doing a bit of vet nursing, behaviour, kennel management, breed specifics, genetics, nutrition and diet. I'm already qualified and working as a dog groomer for the summer.

I definitely want something with a bit of spunk and personality. not just look pretty.

I know it varies from dog to dog but how are they in general with other dogs/pets?

excellent with all other dogs, not so great with cats, but the cat round here is a neighbours so she wouldn't have much to do with them. With proper work i think they would get on very well with most pets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

We have a 4 year old Irish setter and I totally disagree with posters who say the breed is daft!!

Our girl is the most intelligent dog I have ever owned - I've grown up with dogs all my life and had mutts and pure breeds. In my experience the "daftness" is just exhuberence.

1/ Yes they are lively and need lots and lots of exersise. If you have access to countryside where you can let your setter run off lead it will reward you in the long run, particularly if you have go for a field dog that has a working instinct.

2/ The field dog is far different from the show breed - smaller and more agile, the coat doesn't feather as much.

3/ They are easy to train - we literally have to talk in code around ours as she knows so many words and phrases that she picks out of ordinary conversation. One thing we constantly have to work on though is recall - but only when she is out running in fields full of pheasants - ie her "work environment". Her recall is excellent otherwise - particularly on the beach where there are other dogs and people.

Setters are wonderfully friendly - you won't get a better companion, they are watchdogs that will alert you to unusual activity but not guard dogs so they will most likely alert you to an intruder and then wag it's tail at them! A bit of separation anxiety though - we get followed from room to room in the house and a forelorn look that would break your heart when you go out - but the welcome on return is worth it - if it's ten minutes or ten hours it's a full body wag and kisses all over.

This is she when she was just home with us!
    034.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭golden8

I would go along with Borderlinemeath, but would also like to say that the setters are deep chested dogs you have to be aware of bloat. Here is an american site http://www.globalspan.net/bloat.htm#Prevention. Having said that it does not stop me from having lab or any deep chested dog, just be aware.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

golden8 wrote: »
    I would go along with Borderlinemeath, but would also like to say that the setters are deep chested dogs you have to be aware of bloat. Here is an american site http://www.globalspan.net/bloat.htm#Prevention. Having said that it does not stop me from having lab or any deep chested dog, just be aware.

Be very aware of this, a friend of mine is going through hell with one of her setters at the moment, he continually bloats. Please make sure that there isn't a history of bloat in the parents, although unfortunately this doesn't mean that any deep chested dog won't suffer anyway, but best to give yourself and the dog the best odds possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

My dogs friend is a red setter. He's a lovely dog - a big softie like my guy (golden retriever). Compared to my guy he's more flighty - but that said I've done lots of training with my guy - he doesn't run over to randomers or jump up on them etc like his buddy does sometimes. The setter is not dumb or anything - he probably just needs some more training to burn of the divilment! He runs around in circles like a horse lol and also he destroys any toy you give him - my guy is more into carrying stuff around but the red devil shreds anything and everything. He always has an upset tummy and is very very skinny - again probably not his fault and down to the wrong food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

tk123 wrote: »
    My dogs friend is a red setter. He's a lovely dog - a big softie like my guy (golden retriever). Compared to my guy he's more flighty - but that said I've done lots of training with my guy - he doesn't run over to randomers or jump up on them etc like his buddy does sometimes. The setter is not dumb or anything - he probably just needs some more training to burn of the divilment! He runs around in circles like a horse lol and also he destroys any toy you give him - my guy is more into carrying stuff around but the red devil shreds anything and everything. He always has an upset tummy and is very very skinny - again probably not his fault and down to the wrong food.

It is very hard to put weight on setters, they are a naturally skinny dog, when ours goes into the water and her coat is wet, you can literally see every muscle! Just their metabolism - they're like marathon runners!

They can suffer from nervousness and sometimes this effects their stomachs. I find that when ours gets excited and overly wound up then her stomach can get a bit upset. Her stools that she leaves in the garden are regular but sometimes when she is wound up, particularly out running and flushing out pheasants then her stools can be looser than normal. On a few occasions she can throw up and it's only when she is totally hyper. Her food never changes and we've mentioned it to the vet when she is getting her check ups and she thinks it's just her nerves getting to her because she's always in perfect condition/perfect weight and her coat shines so much that everybody comments on it.

Ours is also excellent at shredding things - but only toys that are fur/fabric and slippers and socks are a particular favourite if she can sneak them out of the bedroom.

My only regret is that we don't have two of them!

Thanks everyone for all the advice!

spoke to the breeder again, he seemed VERY impressed with me anyways :)
    I asked all the "right" questions :) He's been breeding them for over thirty years..and he'll vaccinate and microchip them there and then before i leave his place...They are just hitting 9 weeks now. Going up Tuesday to see the parents and hopefully get a little male :)

Calling him Rua Rebel (Roo for short)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

How come the vet isnt vaccinating and microchipping them?:confused:

I dont know if i would be too happy with this, as when the vet does them they at least get the once over from the vet and a breeder isnt qualified to do this.

andreac wrote: »
    How come the vet isnt vaccinating and microchipping them?:confused:

I dont know if i would be too happy with this, as when the vet does them they at least get the once over from the vet and a breeder isnt qualified to do this.

Ah thats done alot with breeders across the all species, ALOT of good breeders develop close working relationships with there vets. and get the vaccine from them directly.

I've studied Animal Care (kennel craft, Animal Behaviour, Animal Welfare, Veterinary Nursing, Anatomy & Physiology, Dog Grooming) I've vaccinated and chipped animals my self, so I'll be there when its being done.

If i have any doubts i'll raise them, and will be taking the pup to my own vet when i get home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I could be wrong, but to register the pups doesnt the vet have to sign something when the pup is chipped for the IKC? But im not 100%:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Calling him Rua Rebel (Roo for short)
    Lol our guy's friend is called Rebel :D

Up The Reds!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

The red setter (field type)I have is nicknamed 'the horse' by relatives as he runs so quick and in straight lines. He's incredible to watch. He tends to steal the kids teddies(especially the dog/bear ones) from the play room when he gets the chance but does not destroy them, he brings them out to his kennel and leaves them there untouched. The breed has a very friendly nature, very little aggression, loud bark but wouldn't call them a guard dog.

Very boisterous but harmless and I agree with other posters, they could run all day and all night. You definatly need a large garden and plenty of off lead running about to ensure they are happy.
    Once took him in car for 45 minutes to a forest, he wouldn't stop barking all the way, after the walk(he must have ran miles and miles) on the drive back there was not a peep from him.

Mine plays deaf a lot when off the lead though and can be difficult to get back unless 'they' are ready.

mcwhirter wrote: »
    The red setter (field type)I have is nicknamed 'the horse' by relatives as he runs so quick and in straight lines. He's incredible to watch. He tends to steal the kids teddies(especially the dog/bear ones) from the play room when he gets the chance but does not destroy them, he brings them out to his kennel and leaves them there untouched. The breed has a very friendly nature, very little aggression, loud bark but wouldn't call them a guard dog.

Very boisterous but harmless and I agree with other posters, they could run all day and all night. You definatly need a large garden and plenty of off lead running about to ensure they are happy.
    Once took him in car for 45 minutes to a forest, he wouldn't stop barking all the way, after the walk(he must have ran miles and miles) on the drive back there was not a peep from him.

Mine plays deaf a lot when off the lead though and can be difficult to get back unless 'they' are ready.

Thats what i've heard (and experienced for my self) selective hearing. We've had our one a week now! Thrilled! He's slotted in so well! He doesn't have any interest in cars...just looks at them...and he knows when NOT to play....

Our garden is 1/2 acre, plus have few feilds behind the house! He's in his element! First day i had him he decided to eat thru my speaker wires...my own fault for not hiding them.

Got him a tonne of dog toys to chew and destroy! His kennel arrived today. So it'll be his first night sleeping outside.

Enrolling in obedience when the next round of classes are enrolling. He's no dummy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭CL32

Stunning dogs. Best of luck with the new arrival!

I love the way they move, they must be made of elastic and slinkys.

picture.php?albumid=1738&pictureid=9668

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 MissHappiness

Hi Lady Lainey. As someone who grew up with my best friend, our red setter, I can't praise them enough!! They are no way dopey!! Mam and Dad got Willie John (named after Willie John McBride "Ireland's greatest rugby player", so Dad convinces us all!!!) 3 weeks before I was born. Our cousin used to breed them, and Granny and Grandad got Willie John's brother from the same litter, he was called Shot.

We grew up quarter of a mile from an all but private beach, it was inbetween two very big and popular beaches, so not many ventured that far from either side, and back then, there were no caravan parks/holiday homes in the area. He loved being on the beach, there was also a bit of woodlands around, and no rabbit was safe when Will was around!!!! He had no interest in other dogs unless they approached us, especially me or my sister, then he'd put himself between us and them!! I love the old photos of me as a baby, minding my own business, playing away, him sitting just off the mat/blanket I was on, not guarding, but watching and observing everything!!!! He took as much responsibility for me as Mam and Dad did!!! When I was a bit older, if I was going to chance going out the front gate, he would be around to Mam, "telling on me"!!!!

I'm sorry for my first post being such a long one, but I have one story I'd like to share. We lived in the country, and around lambing season, Mam used to tie a small round log from Will's collar, it would hit off his knees if he ran, so it slowed him down!! He never did chase any lambs in the area, but it was a "just in case"!! Anyway, he got himself a girlfriend when I/we were about 8 yrs old, a golden lab called Beauty!! We were all looking on, jaws to the floor to see Will and Beauty strutting off down the road, the log Will was sporting in Beauty's mouth!!!!!! A number of months later, a beautiful litter of pups were born!!! There was nine of them, all adorable!

Unfortunately, we lossed Will at 15 years of age, he had stomach cancer. He went through one op, but had to be put to sleep when he couldn't go on any longer. It took me 3 years to convince Mam to get another dog, I got Nafie, a German Shepherd. She was very like Will in so many ways, bark was her only weapon, she'd never bite. When travellers called selling something, she bounded towards them, barking away, they sped off, she was all upset!! She'd have happily hopped in van with them for a spin!!!! She passed away March of last year, also at the age of 15.

I wish you many years of happiness with your new best friend!! They are not dopey at all, in fact, probably more human than anything else!!!! When I think of Will now, I think of him sitting regally, head up in the air, sniffing all the goings on around him!!! That and him greeting us coming home from school, like he had been waiting all day for that to happen!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Eventhough the vet vaxd and chipped did the pups not have to at least get a health check from the vets.

Gorgeous pup though just make sure your fencing is 8 foot high we had one as a kid and there was an 8 foot wall she used to scale, so a foot of fencing wire was put on top and she scaled that too she was completly mental, really good natured though but wired, they all are so they need fields to run in and recall training etc.

They're real Houdinis so you need walls like those state prisons in the US lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

Fab looking pup OP, do you mind me asking where did you get the kennell? Looking for a big one to house 3 dog's for their outdoor run during the day.

RubyGirl wrote: »
    Fab looking pup OP, do you mind me asking where did you get the kennell? Looking for a big one to house 3 dog's for their outdoor run during the day.

Got it from Hanleys Garden Centre, Cork

They last forever. We've had our last one about 5 years now...still looks brand new. They do need to be treated for weather protection like other garden furniture. The Dogs love them....they're pricey....but do last! made to the same quality as garden sheds...so we got our second kennell few days ago for the new pup.

Advertisement