Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is Orlando so unpopular as a J1 destination?

Options
  • 11-05-2011 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭

Am I missing something?

There is a massive tourist trade which would imply plenty of summer jobs, hot weather and theme parks..

Yet it would seem that very few choose Orlando for their J1...

Anyone know why?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭lcrcboy

Ive been to Orlando and besides the theme parks there is not much else its just a concrete jungle and its about an hour to the coast from there. There are way nicer places in florida like cocoa beach, clearwater, fort Lauderdale these areas I would recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Having been there before, i'd say it's because it's too spread out. If someone was to work in Disney, well that's a half hour from Orlando to even get inside Disney World.

Then Disney World itself is probably begger than most Irish counties, meaning that said person might have to travel an hour further to even get to the theme park they work in. There is no subway as far as I know, so it would mean buses everywhere.

As it's a family tourist destination, it generally means the nightlife isnt hectic, which isnt going to attract J1er's.

I had the idea that it would be a great J1 destination too, purely on the job front. However, i'm sure it's been tried before, and the reports back mustn't have been hectic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

has anyone been before? on a J1, not holiday. I've been twice on holiday myself and absolutely loved the place, confused by the lack of reviews!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

Probably too humid for the irish also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

Florida has one of the highest (if not the highest) percentage of retirees, for one. Second, Orlanda is a haven for families, thus I truly doubt young people will find much opportunities to do the fun things that young adults like to do.

Saying that, why don't people go to Miami? Even people from NYC, LA, and Chitown go to Miami to party.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,465 ✭✭✭✭cson

Miami is full of oul people as well.

Advertisement