Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Garage door- slight garage pimping

• 11-05-2011 5:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭

My house is an end of terrace unit, they are built in blocks of 4 and I'm the start of a block the block beside me are higher and the new block four houses down from me are lower than my house.

So I have a garage but the first 500mm of wall is at the same height as my neighbors garden. I did not build this wall and I'm not rebuilding it. See image D4
    It gets damp near the garage door, I've included a pick of a white power that forms on the inside of my garage See image D2 and D3.

I have a new floor on the garage, I would like to get a new garage door with windows in it, the opening is 2.28M wide See image D1. Does anyone know of decent value garage doors, maybe a split open out door , I don't want up and over anymore, it's very cold in there in the winter.

Its not used as a garage anyway I have a running machine there but it is depressing to look at.
    I'd like to have it as somewhere to keep all the bins, the bikes and have the running macing a weights there, its depressing there at the moment and I was hoping to spend a little bit of money making it nicer, it does not need to be up to the spec of the rest of the house, just better than it is.

I was thinking along the lines of
    Insulate the ceiling, end up with a white ceiling either painted plasterboard or some better recommended material, want to reflect the light better and make it warmer
    some sort of insulation on that external wall something to keep the damp away, once again paint it white to brighten it up
    Fit a tough but cheap floating laminate
    I'll pop a panel heater in there myself

has anyone any suggestions for the garage door
    how to deal with the wall
    Suggest someone to do it maybe?

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Blobbing kingspan warm board onto the damp wall has been recommended. I dont know if that would do it, I used pollybond on that wall before and I had it re plastered with bunding plaster when I got the place 7 years ago, these things helped but there is still that residue coming through the wall.

The roof is flat and was I had a new felt covering fitted two years ago, it has a 15 year guarantee, I was hoping to fit warmboard cut to fit between the joists, or maybe just wool insulation would do the trick, I'm looking for ways to improve the place without breaking the bank,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,184 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Moved to DIY at OP's request.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Theres not alot i can recommend for you for the damp without getting into the neighbours property for some problem solving. I wouldnt stick a slab to that damp, and wheres there is damp there will be a smell in time or sorts, a sort of a fusty smell.

If its a garage and not for resident use, perhaps a free standing stud partition at the offending part of the wall..essentially box it off, trying to paint damp proofers on the inside of a wall is only putting your finger in hole pardon the expression, but it wont work long term, you need to sort the problem from the other side before it gets into the wall fabric

You can stick and fix insulated slabs to the walls and screw them to the ceiling for a good finish, you could have the joints taped, compounded and sanded then painted, decent finish and you can save on having it skimmed.

Would you consider a pvc door and window to replace the garage door? One that comes in a single unit like a front door?You could pick one up on done deal pretty cheaply

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

If you wanted to keep the garage door dimensions and have it openable, would you consider an insulated roller door? Not sure on the cost though.
    http://www.gliderol.co.uk/garage-doors/articles/insulated-roller-door.php

The best way I know of to get rid of the damp problem permanently is on the neighbours side.

Dig down to the foundation level, seal the extieror of the wall and fill the soil back in. Job done. Any rain/moisture will then be deflected from the brickwork. This is the same method used for keeping damp out of basements

There's a bit of work in it, but nothing you couldn't manage yourself with a bit of reading up on the subject.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

thanks for all the responses.

I can't go near the neighbours garden. Between the two gardens there is a small party wall, the wall of the garage was build tight to this wall on my side, the party wall is not high, but obviously higher on my side than the other, it is a pity that the wall was not built a little bit back from the party wall, but it's not, plus they have cobblelock down etc. The dampness is only an issue in one area in the corner, it does not get wet but the white power forms there. I guess some boxing around the damp area is all that I can do, as I will not be digging up the nighbours garden

I have not seen anything nice on donedeal for the door and window. I would buy a new double opening garage door with privacy glass in it. I like the idea of the double door as it is more private and secure than lots of glass, I don't want the hasle of blinds etc as I will have bins parked tight to the door on the inside so some glass at high level is what i need really, anything else would look pretty rough with my green, black and brown bins there. I'd like to keep it looking like a garage with a nicer door to let light imn but hide the mess inside.

I'm going to look at the henderson site for a new door, but other options would be great.

thank you again for the other advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Paul.C

Doors could be made up from different specs etc. As for the damp, if that was me I would put a damp proof membrane on the wall and build up with a few blocks. Maybe 1m up and 1m across or as far as needed, basically giving you a fake wall. That way its not your problem anymore.

Advertisement