Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

International Military Krav Maga

• 11-05-2011 6:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

IMKM's First Irish seminar will take place the 18th of June at;
    The Ballybough Community, Youth & Sports Centre,
    49 Ballybough Road,
    Dublin 3
    Great opportunity to train with two of Israels top Krav Maga instructors, with first hand combat knowledge and combined, have over 40yrs of martial arts experience. The seminar will be taught by IMKM's chief instructors and founders Amit Porat and Ravid Shimko and IMKM Instructor Lee O'Dwyer. This seminar will cover threats and attacks from multiple attackers both armed and unarmed. Places are limited, so book yours now!!!
    205029_10150213330571660_529061659_8483285_7340489_n.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Whats the cost of this seminar please?.

Btw, wrong forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 valdub

Sorry Makikomi, new to boards.ie, I couldn't find a Krav Maga section. Where should I post the info?
    The seminar is 30euros for 3hrs, I've just noticed the error, it should be from 1:00pm to 4:00pm.

valdub wrote: »
    Sorry Makikomi, new to boards.ie, I couldn't find a Krav Maga section. Where should I post the info?
    The seminar is 30euros for 3hrs, I've just noticed the error, it should be from 1:00pm to 4:00pm.

No bother, and welcome to boards.ie - Hope you stick around.

30 Euro sounds like good value, best of luck with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

awesome seminar, able to disarm a guy with a gun from 10 feet and also get a guy with a knife in a shoulder lock. well worth 30 euro.

awesome seminar, able to disarm a guy with a gun from 10 feet and also get a guy with a knife in a shoulder lock. well worth 30 euro.

Ah give it over, for people who are into that sort'a thing €30 isn't going to break the bank - I'm sure Fat Freddie & his crew can well afford it :p

• Advertisement

You couldn't be further off the mark Sid. Come to the seminar and if you still have the same opinion after it, I'll give you your 30euro back out of my own pocket.

Ah give it over, for people who are into that sort'a thing €30 isn't going to break the bank - I'm sure Fat Freddie & his crew can well afford it :p

Who's Fat Freddie??!?! Tell him it's also a good work out if he's interested :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

Who's Fat Freddie??!?! Tell him it's also a good work out if he's interested :p
    You do not want Freddie Thompson and his buddies down to try you out.

I'm dying to do a self defence seminar (for free) and report back on one here.

In fairness, Yomchi has offered but last time I clean forgot when the date arrived.

OP, whats involved in a K.M. seminar?.

I'm dying to do a self defence seminar (for free) and report back on one here.

In fairness, Yomchi has offered but last time I clean forgot when the date arrived.

OP, whats involved in a K.M. seminar?.

Haha, nothings free in this life man.

This seminar will cover threats from multiple attackers. We'll help make you aware of/and better understand situations that you could find yourself in at any given moment, give you the knowledge needed to avoid/deal with what could unfold and show you how best to deal with armed attackers.

Check out this link:

It should give you a better idea of what we are about and show you a little of what Amit Porat, Ravid Shimko and myself will hopefully pass on to anyone who takes part in the seminar.

You said yourself, 30euros wont break the bank and it will be money well spent!!!

• Advertisement

Careful now, you need to read the forum charter - especially clause 1B.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

You couldn't be further off the mark Sid. Come to the seminar and if you still have the same opinion after it, I'll give you your 30euro back out of my own pocket.

are you lee o'dwyer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

Is this suitable for an absolute beginner with no knowledge of self defence?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Dave Joyce

Hey Valdub, any clips of the multiple attackers stuff?

Doyler92 wrote: »
    Is this suitable for an absolute beginner with no knowledge of self defence?

This seminar is aimed at all levels from beginners to expert, both male and female.

All are welcome

Dave Joyce wrote: »
    Hey Valdub, any clips of the multiple attackers stuff?

Not at the moment Dave. Sorry mate. Come to the seminar, far better in real life! :D

It was a tongue in cheek comment actually, if I was doing a self defence seminar it wouldn't be a Krav one.

Trained K.M. with the IDF when I was serving on the Israeli/Lebanese border, and without exception each and every instructor trained in the likes of Judo, Boxing, Karate etc - not one expressed a confidence in training K.M. alone.

But hey, best of luck with the seminar.

It was a tongue in cheek comment actually, if I was doing a self defence seminar it wouldn't be a Krav one.

Trained K.M. with the IDF when I was serving on the Israeli/Lebanese border, and without exception each and every instructor trained in the likes of Judo, Boxing, Karate etc - not one expressed a confidence in training K.M. alone.

But hey, best of luck with the seminar.

Cheers man, appreciate it.

The two Israeli's that are coming over to do the seminar have over 40yrs of martial arts experience between them.
    I have experience with various forms and boxing.

IMO and the opinion of anyone I know who has trained in or knows anything about Krav Maga would agree, that if you are looking to learn how to defend yourself fast and effectively there's nothing that comes close to Krav Maga.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

IMO and the opinion of anyone I know who has trained in or knows anything about Krav Maga would agree, that if you are looking to learn how to defend yourself fast and effectively there's nothing that comes close to Krav Maga.

If someones was just looking to be able to defend themselves would a month training in their local boxing/kickboxing etc club not be more effective than a month training in a KM club ?If not why not?

I have nothing against KM btw If I was anywhere near Dublin then I'd probablly go to it for the craic.

Remmy wrote: »
    If someones was just looking to be able to defend themselves would a month training in their local boxing/kickboxing etc club not be more effective than a month training in a KM club ?If not why not?

I have nothing against KM btw If I was anywhere near Dublin then I'd probablly go to it for the craic.

No.

Kickboxing and boxing (I love both) are great sports, but thats where the problem lies. Sports have rules, Krav Maga has no rules.

Kickboxing and boxing teach you how to score points, you are not expected to go from 0 to 100 in less than a second. You have time to assess the situation, feel out your opponent. If you loose a fight you can come back tomorrow and try again. Realistically you train for the ring not for the street.
    They don't incorporate the situations, violence, weapons and number of attackers you could face in real life scenarios, Krav Maga does.

Krav Maga teaches you to do what needs to be done to get home safe using what ever means necessary to get the job done. It is very easy to learn because it is based on reflexive/instinctive movements and is very practical cutting out all nonessential movements, there are no kata's or bizarre unnatural stances.

If you were to go to you local boxing/kickboxing club, you would train 50/50 against one opponent in a controled environment.
    On the other hand, we will teach you how to defend yourself against multiple attackers, armed or unarmed in various situations and scenarios.

You should try get up to the seminar Remmy, it's worth the trek. Hope to see you there mate!

• Advertisement

Boxer versus multiple opponents. Now show me yours.

Kickboxing and boxing (I love both) are great sports, but thats where the problem lies. Sports have rules, Krav Maga has no rules.

Kickboxing and boxing teach you how to score points, you are not expected to go from 0 to 100 in less than a second. You have time to assess the situation, feel out your opponent. If you loose a fight you can come back tomorrow and try again. Realistically you train for the ring not for the street.
    They don't incorporate the situations, violence, weapons and number of attackers you could face in real life scenarios, Krav Maga does.

I'm going to hazard a guess and say you've never competed, and you've never been in a street fight.

Multiple attackers seminar, have a look and come along if you're interested!

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Do these seminars/courses allow for pressure drills and the like? Or are they generally geared towards an introduction to defending oneself on the street? I'm talking generally here about courses such as the one above. Are these courses introductory? Or do they cater to ability?

Gumbi wrote: »
    Do these seminars/courses allow for pressure drills and the like? Or are they generally geared towards an introduction to defending oneself on the street? I'm talking generally here about courses such as the one above. Are these courses introductory? Or do they cater to ability?
    This seminar is geared towards all.
    There will be pressure drills and high stress scenarios.
    You will find this worth while regardless of your level or ability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Niall Keane

Ok, I was willing to live and let live until the bs about boxing and kickboxing not preparing you for multiple attackers. Fair enough the competitive sport matches one man against another, which does not preclude multiple opponent tactics, but that video was crap re multiple opponents, single kicks preventing follow ups. Or a single stick blow across the head? Come on, even the most amateur fighter probably takes several kicks and punches per round, and survives at least three, whether kickboxing, muay thai or Sanshou, this idea of taking someone out with a single strike and depending on it is a falacy and a dangerous one at that. It's as the viper would say "deluded, like a child who still believes in Santa"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

It's as the viper would say "deluded, like a child who still believes in Santa"

Ha solid reference!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭dasmoose

Echoing what Niall said 100%.

It's only when you train alive in a sports style that you realise just how difficult it is to defeat even one person when they're not letting you. Whereas when you don't train like that... people seem to end up thinking a fight is like a game of rock paper scissors. "Oh well we'd just beat three guys by kicking one here then punching one here then using that guy as a shield"
    If you were to go to you local boxing/kickboxing club, you would train 50/50 against one opponent in a controled environment.
    On the other hand, we will teach you how to defend yourself against multiple attackers, armed or unarmed in various situations and scenarios.

Krav maga guys (and others like you) are always coming out with stuff like this and the reality is your training just looks like slightly sociopathic role playing games. You're not teaching people how to really do any of that, you're teaching them how to pretend to hit guys who aren't fighting back.

30 Euro sounds like good value, best of luck with.
    Multiple attackers seminar, have a look and come along if you're interested!

You said yourself, 30euros wont break the bank and it will be money well spent!!!

I take it back, based on those clips, and this post;

I couldn't recommend that seminar to anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Opinicus

You have time to assess the situation, feel out your opponent. If you loose a fight you can come back tomorrow and try again.

No one steps onto the mat/ring with that attitude cos you'd lose every single time, and I have seen fights in every sport end in seconds.

Pointless unless the attacker(s) are resisting surely? Otherwise it's like doing uchi komis (practice throws) without randori (sparring) and expecting to be good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,058 ✭✭✭cletus

How exactly do you train for multiple opponents? Any footage i have ever seen of "multiple attacker" scenarios consists of the attackers effectively queing up and taking turns to attack, rather than attack as a mob, or try and distract the guy to attack from behind.

Please explain how you train this with any degree of reality

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 gioguy

Half you people need to give yourself a good shake you's have no idea what you are talking about!

I'm 23 and i'v been boxing for the last 13yrs, i'v won 5 Irish titles at all levels through to and includeing senior level...i have over 40 international caps with the irish high performance team at tournaments such as world championships european championships and have many gold silver and bronze medals.
    However boxing is only a sport and should not even be copmpared to Krav Maga in any way shape form or manner...anybody who compares any sport such as boxing, kick boxing, mai thai etc..is jus displaying their stupidity and complete lack of knowledge of what Krav Maga is and what it teaches people!

Even though boxing is my number 1 sport I have taken part in many Krav Maga seminars and can assure you that for self defence, dealing with multiple attackers and dealing with people who are armed it is the best form of defence by a long shot!

30euro sounds like a steal for this...best of luck with it VALDUB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

gioguy wrote: »
    Half you people need to give yourself a good shake you's have no idea what you are talking about!

I'm 23 and i'v been boxing for the last 13yrs, i'v won 5 Irish titles at all levels through to and includeing senior level...i have over 40 international caps with the irish high performance team at tournaments such as world championships european championships and have many gold silver and bronze medals.
    However boxing is only a sport and should not even be copmpared to Krav Maga in any way shape form or manner...anybody who compares any sport such as boxing, kick boxing, mai thai etc..is jus displaying their stupidity and complete lack of knowledge of what Krav Maga is and what it teaches people!

Even though boxing is my number 1 sport I have taken part in many Krav Maga seminars and can assure you that for self defence, dealing with multiple attackers and dealing with people who are armed it is the best form of defence by a long shot!

sockpuppet?:rolleyes:

lol all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Opinicus

SEw2A.jpg

hippo.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,058 ✭✭✭cletus

gioguy wrote: »

Considering your relatively high standing in Irish boxing, would you perhaps put your name to your post, as this might lend extra weight and credence to your argument

• Advertisement

Krav Maga.

Multiple aggressors and weapons.

Ok, why if K.M. is so super effective against all the above - why was it necessary to shot too many attackers/aggressors when IDF special forces boarded the infamous flotilla off Gaza last year?.

Gimme a straight answer, none of this 'because the IDF eat babes' or other crap.

A number of IDF personnel were seriously injured too.

What happened to their K.M.?

Krav Maga.

Multiple aggressors and weapons.

Ok, why if K.M. is so super effective against all the above - why was it necessary to shot too many attackers/aggressors when IDF special forces boarded the infamous flotilla off Gaza last year?.

Gimme a straight answer, none of this 'because the IDF eat babes' or other crap.

A number of IDF personnel were seriously injured too.

What happened to their K.M.?

When did this become a political debate? I'll hazard a guess you've never been in a similar situation.

I think I'll use your own words Mak to best answer that one.

Post from Caylee Full Uterus 12-08-2010, 18:06

Quote:
    Originally Posted by yomchi viewpost.gif
    LOL well that's brightened my day up! smile.gif

I'm not linking Israeli policy to KM, it's the nonsense you hear about these special forces attached to the Israeli army and KM. My point was that if the Israeli army are so up on this hand to hand system surely they wouldn't need to stick bullet holes in unarmed folk.

"Jon, what the Israeli soldiers done once attacked onboard that ship was what you and anyone else in the situation would have done - attacked back, and very hard.

Its nothing to do with KM - tbh, I've posted this before - I've trained KM in Israel with the IDF and there's not one IDF soldier I know who confessed any great confidence in it.

To put it bluntly, if my government were criminal & wreckless enough to put me on board a ship like that and my comrades & I were attacked, I'd have shot back too - any soldier would, and its nothing to do with any special forces training either.

Lads, if you want to train K.M. for the craic do it. But don't kid yourselves that its got some kinda super power's just because its sold as an Israeli self defence system - because when the IDF go into attack mode they use force a million times greater."

Go back through this thread and show me where I said this was some magic answer to all your problems. K.M. is a very effective form of self defense and the shear bulls**t responses, posts and comments on this board are beyond belief.

I would have given you a lot more credit Mak, even if I don't agree with your sentiments at least you put your case across, argued your point and didn't fire out "wanky comments".

I think gioguy hit the nail on the head, you's need to wake up.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭dasmoose

How about you try a logical reply to what I said valdub? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

Lads, a seminar is happening, people are training and enjoying themselves. The host is putting on something that will fill a persons day and keep people busy.

I'm not a fan of KM simply because of the use of the Israeli army to market it - but at the end of the day there is much worse stuff out there getting spouted as half decent self defence....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Z0_n7tGnK0

Valdub it's common in the forum to be given a courtesy grilling, stick with it your boards.ie black belt is on the way ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 ziodro

Wow.Discussion is so hot guys.Calm down.
    You can not compare sport to KM.
    There is a good article in "Metro Eiran" (2007) about KM.
    www.kravmagagroup.ie/interview.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Niall Keane

wrote this a year ago on another post, but feel it still holds true?

I think what annoys most proficient martial artists about the Krav jingle are the un-testable assertions (and how these assertions are aimed at promoting Krav at the expense of other arts, kinda what BJJ did at first, but at least the Gracies had the stones to follow up on the assertions):

That they are the best around in self defence, “from their opinion” of course. That this is due to military testing, a revolutionary Israeli military art, maybe I shouldn’t then mention that a very good friend of mine is a commander of the northern air force in Israel - Ravid Shay, who regularly flew behind enemy lines, and was trained to survive being shot down and tortured by his friendly neighbouring states, that his self defence system, hence we became friends is Practical Tai Chi Chuan. This would kinda mess up the myth a bit? You see not even all their top men believe in Krav.

That lads that could tear a typical Krav guy apart in seconds, you know trained and experienced full contact fighters with ring mileage, are just athletes and know nothing about self defence. ( Take my own style, we train for sanshou competitions to test ourselves, and have won countless international titles, but it doesn’t end there, we train sabre, sword and spear with equal intensity, so stand before a trained PTTCI man with a blade and he’ll probably have more experience than most, and be able to back all that up with ring craft such as faints and draws, positioning, angle, rhythm, timing etc. etc. etc., i.e. chances are they’ll f@*@ you up immediately) Dave Joyce spoke similarly about the broad nature of Muay Thai but this was dismissed ... foolish! What I’m saying here is just because an art is famous for its ring worthiness does not mean that it only practices for the ring, it just means that what is does has been tested and has not fallen short!

You see all true martial artists have actually tested their abilities, and know that there is no such thing as perfection in people or styles, or training methods, and they never make generalisations save that untested self defence is like practicing the backstroke in your bed as far as swimming goes. But this generalisation has been tested, every fighter knows what he was like when he knew nothing, remembers how difficult it was to get a technique and then how much greater the demand was to actually apply it under pressure. And being shouted at, running a gauntlet, or wearing a rubber suit is not pressure it’s a game. A wooden gun is a toy! Fighters know that ultimately proficiency it is up to the individual, and how hard he trains, and that although most styles express leanings to preferred methods hence “style” it is foolish to dismiss them just because one aspect of what they do does not conform to your own truths.

Really I am wasting my time writing this, those who know this already see it clearly, they’re probably shaking their heads wondering why I bothered, no point teaching a pig to sing, wastes your time and only annoys the pig and all, guess they’re right, experience comes with well... experience, all else is infantile fantasy.

Advertisement