Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Learner legal?

• 11-05-2011 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭

just wondering, is a honda shadow 750 learner legal? :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Depends on weight and power etc. Post more info and the lads can help ya out.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭celica1994

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/motorbikes/2042644 - 2000 honda shadow vt750, nice bike? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

It sure is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 RRaff

I would say no. Did some digging into the specs of the bike and the power to weight is above 0.16kw/kg! For learner legal u need 25kw and 0.16kw/kg. The bike is coming in around 0.18kw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

31.4 KW / 225Kg = 0.14 power to weight. Let's not open the power/ weight can of worms.

My brother has a VT1100 restricted.

• Advertisement

I stand corrected, site I looked at had the Kw at 43 ( I believe that should have been HP) but regardless it is still 31.4kw of power so you'll need a restrictor for it which isn't so bad. Only really effects you on a motorway. My Gv650efi still gets up to 120km no problem with a kit in it. Best of luck.

anyone know how much a restrictor costs to get fitted adveragly?

300 tops. Probably between 250 and 300 on average.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 978 ✭✭✭JohnnyCrash

RRaff wrote: »
    I would say no. Did some digging into the specs of the bike and the power to weight is above 0.16kw/kg! For learner legal u need 25kw and 0.16kw/kg. The bike is coming in around 0.18kw.
    I think you'll find that for learner legal it should be 25kw OR 0.16 kw/kg;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

I'm looking for a bike now myself, it needs to be learner legal, I didnt really want to reply when someone suggested not opening a can of worms as I guess this has been asked countless times, but I did think it was either total power OR power to weight ratio

So I assume I can have a more powerful bike but it needs to be heavier so that its less than .16kW/kg

• Advertisement

I think you'll find it's not. You must meet both criteria for the bike to be legal. Any motortax office, citizen information office, insurance company,driving instructor and Garda will tell you the same. I know because I asked them all when I was getting mine done as I originally thought the same. To restrict should be about €250 - €300 maybe a bit cheaper if outside Dublin but do not pay any more then that.

I think you'll find it's not. You must meet both criteria for the bike to be legal. Any motortax office, citizen information office, insurance company,driving instructor and Garda will tell you the same...

cantdecide wrote: »
    Let's not open the power/ weight can of worms.

Depends who you ask. This a grey area. If you want to avoid trouble, restrict the bike. That's the only way of staying out of trouble for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 978 ✭✭✭JohnnyCrash

The Irish Government gave it the following interpretation in the ROAD TRAFFIC (LICENSING OF DRIVERS) REGULATIONS, 1999. (S.I. No. 352 of 1999) Section 17, Part 2
    (taken from: http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1999/en/si/0352.html#partii-sec17) which reads as follows:
    Motorcycle engine size restriction.
    17. A person granted a provisional license for the first time on or after the commencement of these Regulations to drive vehicles in category A and who on obtaining a certificate of competency in that category is subsequently granted a driving license in that category, shall, until a period of two years after the grant of the latter license, be restricted to driving only those vehicles in the said category which have a power output not exceeding 25 kW or a power/weight ratio not exceeding 0.16 kW/kg, or in the case of vehicles in the said category with sidecars, with a power/weight ratio not exceeding 0.16 kW/kg.

Not exceeding 25KW OR A power/weight ratio means both not that you can exceed one if you have the other. Granted they could have put the wording better, but to say otherwise is just wishful thinking and ultimately breaking the law. Nuff said.

The Irish Government gave it the following interpretation in the ROAD TRAFFIC (LICENSING OF DRIVERS) REGULATIONS, 1999. (S.I. No. 352 of 1999) Section 17, Part 2
    (taken from: http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1999/en/si/0352.html#partii-sec17) which reads as follows:
    Motorcycle engine size restriction.
    17. A person granted a provisional license for the first time on or after the commencement of these Regulations to drive vehicles in category A and who on obtaining a certificate of competency in that category is subsequently granted a driving license in that category, shall, until a period of two years after the grant of the latter license, be restricted to driving only those vehicles in the said category which have a power output not exceeding 25 kW or a power/weight ratio not exceeding 0.16 kW/kg, or in the case of vehicles in the said category with sidecars, with a power/weight ratio not exceeding 0.16 kW/kg.
    Not exceeding 25KW OR A power/weight ratio means both not that you can exceed one if you have the other. Granted they could have put the wording better, but to say otherwise is just wishful thinking and ultimately breaking the law. Nuff said.

I dont knowabout your interpetation RRAFF, OR means one or the other, AND means both, how can 25kw OR .16kW/kg mean both???? From what johnnycrash posted it seems it is one or the other. That wording implies only one thing, One or the other. If the wording is wrong thats another case but it cannot be interpreted any other way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Speaking from a purely grammatical viewpoint 'or' can be interpreted either way in this situation. If indeed they meant that it must meet both criteria they should have used the word 'and'.

The wording of the regulations leaves it open to interpretation and, until such times as its been rectified, I'd be 100% happy to argue that in front of a judge if necessary.

Personally I'd interpret it as meaning one or the other anyways.

AgileMyth wrote: »
    ...I'd be 100% happy to argue that in front of a judge if necessary.

I'm far too lazy for that. I'd just restrict the bike.

I'm far too lazy for that. I'd just restrict the bike.
    I'd be very surprised if it came to that. I'd be amazed if you didn't win it though.

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Speaking from a purely grammatical viewpoint 'or' can be interpreted either way in this situation. If indeed they meant that it must meet both criteria they should have used the word 'and'.

The wording of the regulations leaves it open to interpretation and, until such times as its been rectified, I'd be 100% happy to argue that in front of a judge if necessary.

Personally I'd interpret it as meaning one or the other anyways.

I know your post essentially agrees with what some posters (including me :D) have said but still OR can only be interpreted as either of the two options (in anything, not just this):rolleyes:

I was just looking this up in the meantime from the RSA

A person applying for a first-time motorcycle learner permit in category A is restricted to driving motorcycles with an engine power output not exceeding 25kW or with a power/weight ratio not exceeding 0.16kW/kg.
    http://www.rsa.ie/RSA/Learner-Drivers/Motorcyclists/The-Motorcycle-Test/

I can see what someone meant when they said can of worms :D
    I'd well believe some people/Gardai might say both but it seems pretty cut and dry to me once i read the extract from the statute book.

You would think that after all these years of people debating this they would have corrected the wording by now to make it cut and dry. If it was me (which it was last Sep) i would just ring the powers that be and get the info straight from the horse's mouth. You could try argue in court but i doubt you'd win. You'll also find out when you get insurance (from quinn anyway) if u need it restricted or if your one of the unlucky souls that have been spot checked on the side of the road.

• Advertisement

im just wondering tho if i didnt restrict the bike how would i get caught out eg if i had an accident?

Quinn will look for one before they insure you and I reckon most other company's are doing the same so u could get blocked there. If u fake a cert and have an accident it may but I'm not certin void your insurance which would be bad. I know in Cork the Gardai are doing spot checks on people. If they think it's not restricted they can have a bike cop take it for a drive to see or if u refuse they can take it to a garage to have it tested. Don't know if they're doing it else where but I would imagine it would only be a matter of time. Like I've said the best thing to do is contact the RSA and they will tell u if u need it in the first place. :)

might look into the restrictor, does anyone know if a dragstar 650 is learner legal by any chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

celica1994 wrote: »
    might look into the restrictor, does anyone know if a dragstar 650 is learner legal by any chance?
    I know a few people who rode one of them on a provisional liceense and never restricted them. Not 100% how legal that was though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Catcher1977

I got a question guys, can you restrict any bike?

I got a question guys, can you restrict any bike?

Effectively yes. Anything in particular you had in mind?

Effectively yes. Anything in particular you had in mind?
    Nothing in particular yet. I got an XL125 about 8 months ago and it just died on me last week. Now, heartbroken and having sold it for parts, I'm starting to look around for another bike.

I'm kind of torn between the upright position of an enduro style bike (- even though I know I'll never take it over anything rougher than a secondary road -) and the lower sports bike position.

I was in the garage yesterday and was blown away by a guy on a KTM 990 adventure. It was pretty old, but in perfect condition. Really liked the look of it though.

What about a Kawasaki KLE 500? I think they're probably way more affordable than the ktm. I only ever saw one up close and I was really impressed by it.

Had a look at the kawasaki on the internet. Not a bad bike, but I don't know. I really cheaped out on my first bike - €700 for an XL125 - and the thing gave me problems from day one. I feel like I owe it to myself to keep saving until I have enough money to get somethign really sweet.
    I kind of have the luxury of time because I'm carpooling until the middle of next year.
    Maybe I'll get a sportstourer....... [drool, drool]

• Advertisement

Would you consider a BMW f650? I absolutely love my Dakar. Restriction doesn't seem to affect it much either. If you could find one in your price range it'd be a great next step

Advertisement