Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Learner legal?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭carsQhere

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭celica1994

never much of a beamer lover :)

just wondering, is a 1980's honda goldwing 1000cc learner legal, surely the power to weight ratio must work out legal :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

celica1994 wrote: »
    never much of a beamer lover :)

just wondering, is a 1980's honda goldwing 1000cc learner legal, surely the power to weight ratio must work out legal :)
    I've got it at 0.203 kw/kg.

So you're wrong on both your points there.:D

that a yes or a no lol?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

hah, the old power to weight rule

If you can pick and choose which of the two conditions to comply to (which I dont believe is the case), why dont they make custom power restrictors. For example, the goldwing below, reducing the power by 10hp or so may bring within the p-t-w rule. Or sticking some cinder blocks in the panniers.

Anyway, good luck explaining statue laws etc on the side of the road. Guess you could always try to sue the state to get your impound fee refunded though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 978 ✭✭✭JohnnyCrash

Wossack wrote: »
    hah, the old power to weight rule

If you can pick and choose which of the two conditions to comply to (which I dont believe is the case), why dont they make custom power restrictors. For example, the goldwing below, reducing the power by 10hp or so may bring within the p-t-w rule. Or sticking some cinder blocks in the panniers.

Anyway, good luck explaining statue laws etc on the side of the road. Guess you could always try to sue the state to get your impound fee refunded though.
    Why dont you believe it to be the case:confused: Its written in black and white

So if you said to me 'please do not open that door or that window'

does that mean:
    1. I'm ok to open that door, as long as I dont open that window at the same time
    2. I'm ok to open that window, as long as I dont open that door at the same time
    3. I'm not ok to open either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

My mate drives a restricted ZX6. He bought a couple of months ago on the basis that it's restricted but the cert was missing. When I drove it, clearly, it was over-powered, but not full power. After going back to the seller with his concerns, he spoke the seller's mechanic to see what the story was. He was in the Portlaoise area.

The bike was actually restricted by way of a custom throttle stop. The bike is dyno'd to whatever the power to weight rule allows and the throttle is stopped at that point. The guy runs off a reading from the dyno and issues a certificate to show it conforms.

He was given a change of vehicle quote from Quinn on the basis that he had to supply a restriction cert. They wouldn't insure him without it. I thought there was no way that he'd get insurance from Quinn without an FI International cert let alone with a dyno print off and a "cert" from the mechanic. He got insurance from Quinn no questions asked. Apparently the guy is one of a small handfull of garages authorised by Quinn to issue certs on this basis. I think my mate's bike ended up being almost 40 BHP and Quinn have accepted it as being all above board.

Trust me - Neither me or my mate would want to get into license/ insurance strife but in fairness, my mate has satisfied himself that he's now cosher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 978 ✭✭✭JohnnyCrash

Wossack wrote: »
    So if you said to me 'please do not open that door or that window'

does that mean:
    1. I'm ok to open that door, as long as I dont open that window at the same time
    2. I'm ok to open that window, as long as I dont open that door at the same time
    3. I'm not ok to open either
    If I said to you"That door has to be open or that window has to be open"
    .Does that mean they both have to be open?Dont think so!!!
    Or in the context of "dont this or that" has a very different meaning in the context of "It has to have this or it has to have that" Agree?

Agree with that alright

Interesting! Wonder where my confusion is coming from.. computer science boolean OR I think is mucking my head up in this instance..

• Advertisement

just wondering, can a restrictor be fitted to a 1980's goldwing?

just wondering, can a restrictor be fitted to a 1980's goldwing?

Probably not exactly learner friendlt but have a look at the manufacturer's site for listings

http://www.fiinternational.com/

seems to do restrictors for the 1000cc 1982 one, wonder if they can do it for any other cc goldwings

seems to do restrictors for the 1000cc 1982 one, wonder if they can do it for any other cc goldwings

Loads of them are listed- 1000/ 1100/ 1500/ 1800

Advertisement