Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Temporary shelter, need ideas.

• 11-05-2011 6:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

Trying to restore an old boat atm. It's outdoors in the garden. During April it was a joy with the great weather but since May, I have not been able to spend any time at it cos the rain is relentless.

I have a big tarp covering the boat keeping it dry but I's like to get a temp shelter up so that I could work under it. No money, unemployed...etc etc so need cheap ideas. What i need I guess is to put up a frame and cover with the tarp.

Is scaffolding very expensive? would suppliers sell me just a few pieces? Are there cheaper options?

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Not really anything cheaper I don't think. If you use timber, its going to cost money to buy, and same goes for steel.

Scaffolding isn't a bad idea really, but you'd want to have it assembled right, and need a fair bit of it too. There should be a few places around that have piles of it lying around.

I don't see anything coming for little money unfortunately, unless you know someone who knows someone if you know what I mean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭harry21

Hi dnme,

I read though your restoration thread about a week ago... great job so far- fair play to ya. Regards cover for the project, scaffolding is an option and you might get a good deal on it if you ask around.

Only other option I would suggest is a marquee. I saw one second hand the other day somewhere for €200. IIRC your boat was 17ft, so you might pick one up handy for it?

And at the end of it you'll have a nice marquee for your garden :D.

Link to restoration thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

Just had a read of you're thread there. Excellent work so far. Like what's been said above, can you get a markee or even a big tent? should do the trick for you.

Maybe even a popup canvass gazebo? Dunnes do them from time to time and can be got farily cheaply.

• Advertisement
Advertisement