Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will The Queen Apologize for the Past?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

Predator_ wrote: »
    A real apology would involve removing British soldiers from Irish land.

Thought we had voted to revoke our territorial claim to Northern Ireland, perhaps you were away that day?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

m@cc@ wrote: »
    Do you think the IRA and the head of the British state are comparable?

If I am not mistaken, IRA members were tried and sent to prison for this as well.

Should the Monarchy be held responsible for crimes committed in the Republic ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The Queen doesn't do speeches, she doesn't do press conferences, she doesn't get heckled by the press. She doesn't say anything unless David Cameron gives her permission to, well other than something along the lines of "I declare these games open".

What situation is it that your expecting her to be in that she'd be giving a speech where she might be able to apologise?

Most you might get is a comment after her and McAleese have had a cup of tea in private and they then report, "They had a nice chat and cup of tea. The Queen said something about it's a shame all the badness that happened between our countries previously isn't it? Good that we can now all move on from that and get along nicely together."

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

If I am not mistaken, IRA members were tried and sent to prison for this as well.

Should the Monarchy be held responsible for crimes committed in the Republic ?

Well certainly some members of northern Irelands security forces should have seen jail. Some members of the psni who were there when the force was called the ruc are pure scum and helped murderers in the north kill innocent people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

dan719 wrote: »
    A genuine question- do people not have more important sh*t to be worrying about than whether Lizzie apologises for things that she as a *figurehead* had nothing to do with?

Some of us can multi-task. :rolleyes:

And maybe you should look up what a 'figurehead' actually is and represents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,065 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Thought we had voted to revoke our territorial claim to Northern Ireland, perhaps you were away that day?

He was cryogenically frozen in 1916 and has only been recently thawed out. He'll catch up eventually.

robinph wrote: »
    s. She doesn't say anything unless David Cameron gives her permission to, well other than something along the lines of "I declare these games open".

And guess who is coming now...do you think he is here for the piss up after? He's here because it will be statesman PR oppurtunity No 2.
    Obama arrives shortly after to underscore the whole thing and bask in a few reflections himself. ....yawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Nearly a 100 years since the last head came - another new breed of jackeen's beckons - get out your Union Jacks now and wave them in the centre of Dublin to mark the anniversary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

Happyman42 wrote: »
    And guess who is coming now...do you think he is here for the piss up after? He's here because it will be statesman PR oppurtunity No 2.
    Obama arrives shortly after to underscore the whole thing and bask in a few reflections himself.

FYP

I was gonna do that

<YAWN>

Warper wrote: »
    Nearly a 100 years since the last head came - another new breed of jackeen's beckons - get out your Union Jacks now and wave them in the centre of Dublin to mark the anniversary

Twice, I have seen the proud women of Ireland (in the main) and a lot of men too, lose the run of themselves. One was Diana's death and the 2nd was the recent wedding. So nothing will suprise me, our value system and cultural pride has taken a fair knock in the last 30 odd years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭xkariex

Bla ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭conscious

What good would an apology do? She is still ruling power of the North. She still represents monarchy, which symbolises social inequality. She should just stay in her palace till her last days, the inbred witch

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭darragh16

And Tony Blair apologised on behalf of the British govt. for the famine...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Should the japanese not have apologised to the chinese?
    Should the german people not have apologised for the crimes against the jewish peoples?
    Should austrailia not have apologised for their treatment of the first nation tribes in austraila?
    Should america not have apologised for their treatment of african peoples?
    Frankly no.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,065 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

conscious wrote: »
    What good would an apology do? She is still ruling power of the North. She still represents monarchy, which symbolises social inequality. She should just stay in her palace till her last days, the inbred witch

It might shut a couple of people up for a time if she were to apologise, but then they'll think of something else to moan about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭gigino

dan719 wrote: »

But seriously, in the last week, a leading economist has suggested that we turn our back on the EU/IMF bailout and cut our deficit to zero this year, unemployment remains stubbornly high, and people are emigrating in their droves. What do the good denizans of AH get worked up about, an elderly woman who never fired a shot in the bogside, nor planted bombs in Dublin, yet is expected to apologise for this and more. I give up.

Maybe we should apologise for the mess we made over the past 90 years, despite 4 decades of massive EC aid, and borrowings of hundreds of billions ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

<yawny yawn yawn yawn>

<yawny yawn yawn yawn>

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb457/irishdimension/Queen.jpg

:D Have you the dress ready?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

Isnt there about 4 fúcking threads open about the bloody queen at the moment. yous are goddamned obsessed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Predator_

Isnt there about 4 fúcking threads open about the bloody queen at the moment. yous are goddamned obsessed!

This place is full of west brits, get used to it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Got the opening line of the speech ready,

Ones family knows what it was like under Cromwell , and we feel a kinship with the solid yeomen of Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭ellinguistico

Sure it's all irrelevant anyway as half-wits like Ryle Nugent and Gerry Thornley have said "we matured as a nation" the day the English national anthem wasn't booed in Croke Park during that Rugby match.

What a statement.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I doubt that its any of these supposed west brits* that are starting up all the threads.

*West Brit = Anyone that dares to say something that is NOT anti-British at any opportunity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

you realise that using that word makes you sound like a kid. its worse than 'sheeople'

and its the people who dont want the queen here starting them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Bigtime, we as a country like to think as ourselves as an independent nation but when in reality we act like we're still British. Gotta love the armchair republicans that support British football teams and cheer on their British players, watch British TV etc and then complain when their queen comes over to visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭DingChavez

If you really want to help nationalists in Northern Ireland and the cause of a united Ireland you should grit your teeth and welcome her like any normal head of state. Leave the buttmad crap out of the Republic, it doesn't make you look hard. This country has voted against our territorial claim to Northern Ireland. Smart republicans should be acting as diplomatic as they can. Not beheading effigies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭gigino

doncarlos wrote: »
    Bigtime, we as a country like to think as ourselves as an independent nation but when in reality we act like we're still British. Gotta love the armchair republicans that support British football teams and cheer on their British players, watch British TV etc and then complain when their queen comes over to visit.
    Gotta love it when they take all they can in EC /EEC Aid over 4 decades,( UK is the 2nd biggest Contributer to EC after Germany ) , complain against the "auld enemy" and then take - be forced to take because nobody else would lend - another 7 billion loan from the UK last November, as part of the IMF package.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭gent9662

Did or will the IRA apologise for killing:

Louis Mountbatten (an uncle of Prince Philip)
    Innocent people killed in Mainland and North
    Children killed

All in the name of Irish freedom?

I think hell should freeze over before she has to apologise. I think it's us that should apologise to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,383 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Free Union Jacks for all!

Damn culchies are just jealous she's not going to your town and yer all too lazy or tight to head up to Dublin.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

No apology from Betty (and there won't be one in any case) matters a tuppenny bit while her armies are still parked on Irish territory.

I'd be happy to give her the time of day only once she's removed her forces from Ireland.

Advertisement