Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will The Queen Apologize for the Past?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

"The Queen is expected to lay a wreath at the gardens to those who fought for Ireland's independence, including the men and women of the 1916 Rising, after she arrives in Baldonnel airbase on Tuesday."

Cheeky Cheeky :eek:

Read more: http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/republic-of-ireland/queen-to-lay-wreath-at-1916-easter-rising-memorial-in-dublin-15154758.html#ixzz1M8TIXzjR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

thats 5 threads now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

jme2010 wrote: »
    "The Queen is expected to lay a wreath at the gardens to those who fought for Ireland's independence, including the men and women of the 1916 Rising, after she arrives in Baldonnel airbase on Tuesday."

Cheeky Cheeky :eek:

Read more: http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/republic-of-ireland/queen-to-lay-wreath-at-1916-easter-rising-memorial-in-dublin-15154758.html#ixzz1M8TIXzjR

Whats so cheeky about that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

No apology from Betty (and there won't be one in any case) matters a tuppenny bit while her armies are still parked on Irish territory.

I'd be happy to give her the time of day only once she's removed her forces from Ireland.

True. It would be an insult to apologise for the past while vestiges of that bloody past still exist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

thats 5 threads now

and counting

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Merged.
    Because we barely need one thread on this. Let alone more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

/Wonders how to get access to Clery's rooftop.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭DingChavez

dclane wrote: »
    Did or will the IRA apologise for killing:

Louis Mountbatten (an uncle of Prince Philip)
    Innocent people killed in Mainland and North
    Children killed

All in the name of Irish freedom?

I think hell should freeze over before she has to apologise. I think it's us that should apologise to her.

The Irish state that's been at peace for 90 years should apologise for a small number of mainly "British" rebels in a foreign country because they want to join ours? Oh wait you're trolling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

I think hell should freeze over before she has to apologise. I think it's us that should apologise to her.

how about the many unjust atrocities in Ireland have been committed by the British Armed Forces whilst she has been Commander in Chief of the British Army, without her passing any comment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭gent9662

DingChavez wrote: »
    The Irish state that's been at peace for 90 years should apologise for a small number of mainly "British" rebels in a foreign country because they want to join ours? Oh wait you're trolling.

Come again?

How is this trolling? One is allowed to express ones opinion sir.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,065 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

thats 5 threads now

You must have missed the other 40:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Maybe she should apologize for giving medals to the murderers of Bloody Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Did or will the IRA apologise for killing:

Louis Mountbatten (an uncle of Prince Philip)
    Innocent people killed in Mainland and North
    Children killed

All in the name of Irish freedom?

Someone posted an apology earlier which wont change things but its a start. As regards the queen shes a head of state. A state which itself was involved in terrorisim most recently in northern ireland. Northern Ireland had state run bigotry and was the last place in the western world to get a democracy. If I treated a minority like crap in any country you could expect groups like the ira to launch attacks violence is going to happen. Thousands of people were burned out of the north because of their religion of course violence was going to happen the ira should apologise for the innocent victims they killed but the ira shouldnt apologise for violence agaisnt sectarians or members of the ruc who helped people like bily wright (king rat) carry out assasinations. The IRA were not the cause of the civil rights movement, they didnt cause the start of the troubles in essence they were responsible for the reactions to such atrocities and wenever innocents were killed apologies should be given.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Only if we apologise for Jedward

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Someone posted an apology earlier which wont change things but its a start. As regards the queen shes a head of state. A state which itself was involved in terrorisim most recently in northern ireland. Northern Ireland had state run bigotry and was the last place in the western world to get a democracy. If I treated a minority like crap in any country you could expect groups like the ira to launch attacks violence is going to happen. Thousands of people were burned out of the north because of their religion of course violence was going to happen the ira should apologise for the innocent victims they killed but the ira shouldnt apologise for violence agaisnt sectarians or members of the ruc who helped people like bily wright (king rat) carry out assasinations. The IRA were not the cause of the civil rights movement, they didnt cause the start of the troubles in essence they were responsible for the reactions to such atrocities and wenever innocents were killed apologies should be given.

Just to point out. the provisional IRA apologised in 2002 for all innocent victims of IRA violence.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,065 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Maybe she should apologize for giving medals to the murderers of Bloody Sunday.

Medals?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭gent9662

steddyeddy wrote: »

What about the IRA's bombing campaign in mainland Britain? Why did innocent Brits have to suffer? They killed and maimed women and children without any apology.

How come the British, Germans, French, Argentinians (all who fought wars against each other without apologies) can look past the historical differences and look to the present. We seem (Irish) incapable of moving forward isstead of looking into the past all the time. yes English killed Irish, Irish killed English but in this day and age we need to leave the past behind us.

We would be more suited to dealing the crooks and gangsters (bankers, builders and politicians) that ruined 90 years of good progress as opposed to looking at the small issue of a apology by the Queen!

What's next Obama coming over here and having to apologize for not respecting our neutrality (shannon stopovers)

What about the IRA's bombing campaign in mainland Britain? Why did innocent Brits have to suffer? They killed and maimed women and children without any apology.

How come the British, Germans, French, Argentinians (all who fought wars against each other without apologies) can look past the historical differences and look to the present. We seem (Irish) incapable of moving forward isstead of looking into the past all the time. yes English killed Irish, Irish killed English but in this day and age we need to leave the past behind us.

We would be more suited to dealing the crooks and gangsters (bankers, builders and politicians) that ruined 90 years of good progress as opposed to looking at the small issue of a apology by the Queen!

What's next Obama coming over here and having to apologize for not respecting our neutrality (shannon stopovers)

they did apologise in 2002

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

We seem (Irish) incapable of moving forward isstead of looking into the past all the time. yes English killed Irish, Irish killed English but in this day and age we need to leave the past behind us

and the quickest way down that route is for the Commander in Chief of the British Army to make an apology for the many atrocities committed by her forces in her name

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Just to point out. the provisional IRA apologised in 2002 for all innocent victims of IRA violence.

I know I pointed that out at the start im saying there was bigger causes of violence than the ira who werent even the root cause imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭DingChavez

I'm still not sure what the Irish state has to do with a UK terrorist group created by their own actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

DingChavez wrote: »
    I'm still not sure what the Irish state has to do with a UK terrorist group created by their own actions.

inactions would be more apt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

inactions would be more apt

Ever heard of the 'heavy gang'? The Special Branch? Whose bidding do you think they were carrying out?
    Maybe Republicans should have been shot on sight?
    Most Republican Militant organisations seen the Irish State as the enemy. Try to educate yourself before you comment maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Dionysus wrote: »
    I'd be fairly certain by the end of her visit to Dublin it will be Irish people who'll be apologising. You don't need to be Nostradamus to know this visit is not going to be good for Ireland Inc.

Pardon my ignorance, but why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Paul.C

not a hope

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Ever heard of the 'heavy gang'? The Special Branch? Whose bidding do you think they were carrying out?
    Maybe Republicans should have been shot on sight?
    Most Republican Militant organisations seen the Irish State as the enemy. Try to educate yourself before you comment maybe?

I was referring to the inaction from 1923 to 1969, when they had to send the troops in, a little bit of arm twisting of the administration in Stormont may have stopped it ever happening.

The heavy Gang were doing the bidding on a government which was elected by a majority of the population, it is called democracy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭gigino

jme2010 wrote: »

next she will be having a pint of Guinness, reading an Phoblocht, and toasting those IRA who murdered her relation Lord Mountbatten + the innocent Irish boat crew.;)

The 250,000 Irish people who fought for the UK and saved Europe in 2 world wars still done the right thing.

The UK still done the right thing in giving us world class infrastructure ( canals, harbours, railways, lighthouses, architecture, legal system etc ) before independence. They done the right thing in giving so many Irish people jobs. They done the right thing in giving us so much money, directly ( like in the bailout ) + indirectly ( through the EEC / EC ) over the past 40 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

Confab wrote: »
    Pardon my ignorance, but why?

It pretty obvious that trip will not pass without sections of Irish republicans embarrassing themselves and more importantly, the country. Can you honestly see the visit passing off without some type of stunt?

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Proxy

There are times I wonder if I should care what the British did here in times past, but as said earlier I wasn't affected by the torment of the Aborigines but they did get an apology, which was the right thing to do.

An apology (or more likely an expression of apology/expression of sadness about the events of the past would be the right thing to do. These idiots who think murdering someone would make things some way right are deluded and little more than blood-thirsty.

The fact that the Monarch of Britain would spend such a length of time here is an excellent expression of a good natured relationship hopeful for the future. If any moron trying to be a "hero" would try to ruin that, it would do unbelievable damage not only to our peace process and building of that good faith relationship, but our image in the worlds eye.

Remember; Not In My Name.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

I was referring to the inaction from 1923 to 1969, when they had to send the troops in, a little bit of arm twisting of the administration in Stormont may have stopped it ever happening.

The heavy Gang were doing the bidding on a government which was elected by a majority of the population, it is called democracy
    Most people didn't know what the activities of the heavy gang where never mind voting for it.
    What revisionist nonsense are you reading? 'a little bit of arm twisting'??? :eek: Lordy lordy!

This is what gets up my nose about the attempted censorship of people who are against this visit.
    The censors oohh and ahhh at a 'PRed to death' wedding because of Pomp, Circumstance and Tradition....yet they are flat out telling us to 'forget the past' or to 'get over it'. WTF is that about?
    The QUeen believes in the 'Right Of Kings' (look up what that means exactly!) and that she speaks for her people...who haven't covered themselves in glory on the world stage this last while!
    Go live and subscribe to a monarchy before you lecture me...this is a Republic, one that I believe in.

Advertisement