Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will The Queen Apologize for the Past?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Why should she apologise, she is just a frail old woman, she didn't do anything. :p

Still waiting for an apology for the Norman occupation :p

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I hear the vikings are sending over some apologists soon too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

Still waiting for an apology for the Norman occupation :p

On behalf of all the people of leinster I would like to apologise for the Norman Invasion of Ireland.

dat ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭MRPRO03

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jallianwala_Bagh_massacre

She didn't really apologise for this massacre when actually visiting the place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Dogdaysareover

If Gerry admits to all the things he did......then yes

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

On behalf of all the people of leinster I would like to apologise for the Norman Invasion of Ireland.

dat ok?

It's about damn time!

If Gerry admits to all the things he did......then yes

he doesnt represent a state, just the people of louth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

COYW wrote: »
    It pretty obvious that trip will not pass without sections of Irish republicans embarrassing themselves and more importantly, the country. Can you honestly see the visit passing off without some type of stunt?

They couldn't possibly be that stu... oh shit.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭DingChavez

gigino wrote: »
    The UK still done the right thing in giving us world class infrastructure ( canals, harbours, railways, lighthouses, architecture, legal system etc ) before independence.

Considering we were the same country. Those things belonged to us by right. It was a rebellion because the central government didn't do enough. Not a war between Ireland and Britain where they kept throwing gifts at us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Most people didn't know what the activities of the heavy gang where never mind voting for it.
    What revisionist nonsense are you reading? 'a little bit of arm twisting'??? :eek: Lordy lordy!

This is what gets up my nose about the attempted censorship of people who are against this visit.
    The censors oohh and ahhh at a 'PRed to death' wedding because of Pomp, Circumstance and Tradition....yet they are flat out telling us to 'forget the past' or to 'get over it'. WTF is that about?
    The QUeen believes in the 'Right Of Kings' (look up what that means exactly!) and that she speaks for her people...who haven't covered themselves in glory on the world stage this last while!
    Go live and subscribe to a monarchy before you lecture me...this is a Republic, one that I believe in.

The people were well aware what was going on , the guards are not a separate tribe what live in a vacuum , they chose to ignore it.

There was a decent left wing press which reported on it weekly

You seem to be under the impression that I am a supporter of the concept of someone being better than another because of an accident of birth, or interested in a that wedding .

But I do find the whole concept of Brenda visiting the 26 counties and the reactions of both sides, funny as **** (Fish in a fecking barrel)

dat ok?

But your man what issued the invites was from Waterford

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

The people were well aware what was going on , the guards are not a separate tribe what live in a vacuum , they chose to ignore it.

There was a decent left wing press which reported on it weekly

Jesus H, The delusions some people in this Republic live under. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭mick087

Dont know if she should, or what i mean to say is should it come from her if there was to be a apology for the past. The Royal family have had no real power for a long time now. Would this not be a case of the Britsih goverment ie PM of the day apologising if there was too be one.
    The Queen is only the figure head rich i know but i dout that the Royal Family can be at fault,if blame is what some seek.If its a apology then its got to come from the top the goverment of the day.

But your man what issued the invites was from Waterford

and teh queen is from germany. that being said he was the king of leinster and I have been racked with guilt since birth over what my forefathers did in inviting in a welsh man over to seduce the nation with his close harmony singing

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

mick087 wrote: »
    Dont know if she should, or what i mean to say is should it come from her if there was to be a apology for the past. The Royal family have had no real power for a long time now. Would this not be a case of the Britsih goverment ie PM of the day apologising if there was too be one.
    The Queen is only the figure head rich i know but i dout that the Royal Family can be at fault,if blame is what some seek.If its a apology then its got to come from the top the goverment of the day.
    just how far back do people want to go,irish invasions of britain sending over the catholic church ? even her own ancestor had his head chopped of by cromwell, i think she should give a apology for st patrick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭mick087

I know what your saying getz and if people was to read up on Irish history with the britts not just the past few hundred years either, most would be in shock. We wont go into what us Irish did to the brits when the vikings was here.
    But the question by the OP was not this and i dont think she should. What i was saying is If and i mean if a apolgy was to come it should be the royals it should be the British Goverment and PM of the day.

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Jesus H, The delusions some people in this Republic live under. :rolleyes:

Not delusional that is why I never went back;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

David Cameron provided an apology on behalf of the actions of his countries army and their actions during bloody sunday.

It can only serve as a positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

mick087 wrote: »
    I know what your saying getz and if people was to read up on Irish history with the britts not just the past few hundred years either, most would be in shock. We wont go into what us Irish did to the brits when the vikings was here.
    But the question by the OP was not this and i dont think she should. What i was saying is If and i mean if a apolgy was to come it should be the royals it should be the British Goverment and PM of the day.
    if a apology has to be made it would have to be from the british goverment, not the queen,the goverment of the day is the one who makes all decisions good and bad,the queen is in the same position as the irish president just a figurehead,not responsible for her goverments actions,no matter what she thinks about them,[notice how a certain ex PM was not invited to the royal wedding]

• Advertisement

getz wrote: »
    if a apology has to be made it would have to be from the british goverment, not the queen,the goverment of the day is the one who makes all decisions good and bad,the queen is in the same position as the irish president just a figurehead,not responsible for her goverments actions,no matter what she thinks about them,[notice how a certain ex PM was not invited to the royal wedding]

Certain ex PM times two. (Brenda does have good taste)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

doubt if any of the begruders will be happy no matter what she says or does.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

apologise probably not,for her to comment on the positive progressions we've made is more likely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭lallychops

lcrcboy wrote: »
    When the Queen arrives do you think she will Apologize for the past occupation or will she avoid the topic completely. Does she have to apologize because of what happened in the past or should she represent Britain's current understanding and recognition of Ireland, what do you think??

it is in the past leave it there for god's sake. she shouldnt have to apologise for anything since a)she want reigning at the time and b) it happened so many years ago its a bit like the german chancellor going to the world...oh yeah..sorry about ww2 my bad.... honestly people need to move on with the 21st century and accept what happened is in the past. those few intending on causing trouble either need counselling or are simply attention seeking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

pmcmahon wrote: »
    apologise probably not,for her to comment on the positive progressions we've made is more likely

Exactly what im thinking. What would be the point anyway? If she apologised it wouldnt satisfy anybody because most of Ireland isnt asking for one and the small percentage that are just want to throw it back in her face anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭mariebeth

It's in the past, and she's a figurehead leader, she has no power over the British government in reality, so I don't think that she should have to apologise. At the end of the day, besides the fact that it's in the past for me & I think we should all look forward, any apology from the queen would be an empty apology in my opinion because it's not as if she's responsible for what happened, not unless she's immortal & has been alive for the past 800/900 years

To be perfectly honest, I'm more interested in an apology from the likes of Brian Cowen, Bertie Aherne & all those tools that have landed us in to deep sh*t in more recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Rhamiel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Dogdaysareover

he doesnt represent a state, just the people of louth

He represents the vast majority of people who would be opposed to the Queens visit, so it's a valid point....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Not delusional that is why I never went back;)

figures :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

He represents the vast majority of people who would be opposed to the Queens visit, so it's a valid point....

fair enough. I dont want an apology from the queen. I want an apology from the garda commisioner for the draconian, over the top security proceedures stopping people going to work, i want the dissidents to be kicked in the nuts and Obama to do a duet with Finbar Furey.

Advertisement