Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can anyone identify these please????

Options
  • 11-05-2011 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭

hi all an hoping you guys can help me out , just wondering if you can tell me what these plants/shrubs are ... my garden was previously owned by a landscape gardener and it has gone to bits in the last few years as weve young kids bla bla bla , anyway a friend of mine thinks these may be poisioness so would love your opinion
    DSCF2681.JPG

DSCF2683.JPG

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

No 83 is Bleeding Heart
    The other one is a shrub cant remember its name but think neither of them is poisonous. Think someone might be confusing the shrub with the purple flower with Deadly Nightshade - it has a small purple flower and the bright red berries are poisonous - have a google for deadly nightshade - it comes up every year in my garden no matter how much I pull it out when I see the flowers - the berries are look a bit like a small redcurrant but are deadly poisonous

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭mouseybrown

thanks for that , its good to hear that you dont think either are poisioness.... i might post up a few more pics if you or anyone else can identify and/or help me keep these plants alive and looking there best. my garden was absoloutly gorgeous when we first bought but with the last two severe winters and our lack of time for it hasnt helped and its gone to pot slighytly!! Also i have a ginko biloba tree and i beleive that this may be poisiones??

thanks again

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

this is info i found online relating to the dicentra - the bleeding heart. it *is* poisonous, albeit in large quantities, apparently.

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/consumer/poison/Dicensp.htm

DSCF1401.JPG
    here is one more . it hasnt flowered since summer 2009 and was beautiful, still looks alive but no sind of any growth again this year?

• Advertisement

thanks magic bastarder thats interesting!! just realised i cant spell ...... *poisonous*

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭laros

http://www.mobot.org/gardeninghelp/plantfinder/plant.asp?code=Y860

Dicentra Alba is the white variety of the bleeding heart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭dodger50

DSCF1401.JPG
    here is one more . it hasnt flowered since summer 2009 and was beautiful, still looks alive but no sind of any growth again this year?
    Yucca Filamentosa ?

thanks people you are a great help... now i have a few names i can google on how best to look after these plants /flowers:D and maybe get rid of the toxic ones??

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

hi all an hoping you guys can help me out , just wondering if you can tell me what these plants/shrubs are ... my garden was previously owned by a landscape gardener and it has gone to bits in the last few years as weve young kids bla bla bla , anyway a friend of mine thinks these may be poisioness so would love your opinion

Dicentra spectabilis alba - Bleeding Heart
    White Flowering plant

The other reminds me of a variegated comfery

Symphytum ibericum 'Goldsmith'
    Dwarf Variegated Comfrey

http://www.jekkasherbfarm.com/details_new.asp?productid=371

As far as I am aware neither are Dangerous

http://www.mobot.org/gardeninghelp/plantfinder/plant.asp?code=A285

Some species of comfrey (e.g., S. officinale) have been grown in medicinal herb gardens for several centuries for the purported healing properties of the leaves and roots when applied as a poultice to inflamations and wounds. It should be noted, however, that the leaves are poisonous if ingested.

Don't know if I would destroy the plant for this reason alone....maybe move it ... give some to friends...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭oflynno

the variagated shrub with the purple plower looks like a variety of sage to me

crush it in your fingers and smell the leaves and you will know

nice plants

thanks for that oflynno i might just do that and see. im actually tempted to see can i get intouch with the previous owner and get some advice off him he had the garden looking amazing when we bought this place:)

Advertisement