Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC or Samsung

Options
  • 11-05-2011 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭

Hey everyone,

Looking for a quick reccomendation on a phone
    My original list was to pick from was
    - Blackberry
    - iPhone 4
    - Samsung (Galaxy or Nexus)
    - HTC (Desire S or Desire HD)

So I have filtered my list down to between Samsung or HTC
    But which one?

Any comparisons I have done online seem to show very litte difference between spec & functionality wise, would love to hear some users feedback on these
    - Samsung (Galaxy or Nexus)
    - HTC (Desire S or Desire HD)

Cheers
    Pablo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 User name eh?

Pablod, It's hard to recommend one over the other without knowing your typical phone use. I currently use a HTC and find it great but compared to the galaxy it has less battery life and a poorer screen for viewing outdoors. The Galaxy S uses Super amoled which has punchier colours if you like that?
    DO you want to shoot HD video, if so, avoid the Nexus, It doesn't do it.
    Do you want to watch movies on a commute, i.e are you a train bus user who would avail of having a nice big screen to watch things on the go. Each phone offers something different to each person.

Personally, I would wait about 2 weeks as both Samsung and HTC are bringing out their best phones for this half of the year.
    Both new phones will have dual core chips and 4.3 inch screens. These new introductions will drive the price of all the phones you have listed above down further so wil be cheaper to buy.
    I would avoid the HTC HD due to it's terrible battery life and the inability to allow you the user to install a larger third party battery.
    I'm personally waiting for the Galaxy s 2 which is out in the UK now 2 weeks and is due here at the end of the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Pablod

thanks user,

Apologies I should have specified a bit more

In realtion to the Camera taking shots or video, i'm not bothered every phone i've had I never really use the camera so that doesn't bother me.

It will mainly be used texting / browsing web / checking emails both hotmail & exchange - so a big screen would be useful
    And it will be for work so battery will play a big part for trips on the road

More and more I look into it, the Galaxy seems to be the better - due to the HTC battery problems

What about the Google Nexus?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Both are good manufacturers. However avoid the galaxy S (first gen one) and the Desire HD tho. Both those devices have minor annoyances.

Go for Nexus S, or Galaxy S II.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 User name eh?

I'd personally wait until you see the GS2. Remember when you buy a smart phone on contract that you will be tied in for 18 moths so it is important to be happy with your choice.
    The nexus s as stated here is a good phone if your not bothered by videoing etc. It has the advantage over the GS1 in so forth as it it will get regular updates from google ahead of any other phone.
    The GS2 however will be a different story altogether, bigger brighter screen and has a dual core processor for speed. if you're not worried about dual core or 4.3 inch, get the nexus S.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Philip42

i originally owned a HTC Desire and loved it but had a few problems with it rebooting...I then bought the Nexus S and didn't like Vanilla Android at all so changed it for the Samsung Galaxy S...although they seem similar they are totally different to use in reality compared to the Desire S...my current phone...I found the Galaxy to be not half as smooth or polished as the HTC...HTC Sense is a much nicer UI in my opinion...I'd go with the Desire S if you don't want to wait for the new dual core phones..you won't be disappointed with it..also the Desire S comes with 2.3 gingerbread version of Android which is the latest..you have to use software called KIes with the Galaxy S and it's terrible to upgrade firmware etc...you can do it over WiFi with the Desire S..there's a flashing indicator light and a camera flash on the Desire S camera...the Galaxy S has none...just little touches but they make all the difference...you can load up faster roms and software to make the Touch Wiz UI smoother on the Galaxy but why should you have to...in my opinion go for the Desire S or wait for the newer ones to come out but I'd say go with HTC myself, one way or another..

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies people,
    Unfortunatly I couldn't wait for the new phones due out as it was for work

Thankfully I ended up with the Google Nexus S and have to say I'm impressed.
    (but saying that I think i'd be impressed anyway coming from Nokia symbion;)

Its running Android 2.3.4 very smooth and quick

Cheers
    Pablo

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Philip42

Ah, very good mate...enjoy your new dog and bone...all the best..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Have you thought about a Windows Phone 7 phone at all? The UI is very good and intuitive and has one of the largest growing development base. I'm using a HTC HD 7 at the moment and love it. 4.3" Screen, HD video recording, HD games and 16GB memory. Nokia will also be releasing new windows phones in the near future so you may want to consider a WP7 phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Id agree. I got the Omnia 7 and its the most flawless OS ive used to date. Got a Galaxy S but keep coming back to using Omnia 7 in the end

Have you thought about a Windows Phone 7 phone at all? The UI is very good and intuitive and has one of the largest growing development base. I'm using a HTC HD 7 at the moment and love it. 4.3" Screen, HD video recording, HD games and 16GB memory. Nokia will also be releasing new windows phones in the near future so you may want to consider a WP7 phone.

Initially I was leaning towards the HTC HD WP7
    But after I spoke to a few people I know that have it they all complained on two main issues
    1) HTC battery was very poor
    2) Win7 can be very slow

Not my own experience just feedback I got from other heavy users of the phone - that kind of swayed me away from it.

cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Pablod wrote: »
    Initially I was leaning towards the HTC HD WP7
    But after I spoke to a few people I know that have it they all complained on two main issues
    1) HTC battery was very poor
    2) Win7 can be very slow

Not my own experience just feedback I got from other heavy users of the phone - that kind of swayed me away from it.

cheers

On point 1, yes the battery life can be dreadful on it but it all depends on usage. One weekend i had the phone last from 6:00 AM saturday morning to 7 PM sunday night. That was all just Music, Web browsing and calls/texts.

On Point 2, Win 7 has never ever been slow for me. I found that all the apps ran smoothly and swapping from app to app is also very smooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Lol hardly call it slow. Look up reviews on YouTube...

Battery is poor on HD7. I have far better battery life on the Omnia 7.

HD7 had a smaller battery, bigger screen and less efficient screen technology compared to the Omnia 7.

Depends on usage as well. When I bought the Omnia I let the HD7 sit beside the windows to see how long the battery will last. It lasted a whole week. So it all depends on how much u use it.

Advertisement