Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XSplit - Free Beta

• 11-05-2011 8:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

This was referenced in a Day[9] stream recently. It is a programme that allows you to record locally or stream to a channel (Justin.tv, etc). It is in Beta stage and currently free.

My initial impressions are very positive. Seems to be of good quality, doesn't drag computer resources and quite a nifty tool. Will play around with more after exams.....

Allows for up to 12 scenes - these can range from media files (vids / pictures) to webcams to other live streams and so on. Really easy interface so you can add in overlays, etc.

I've also made note of the hotkey system - allows you to switch between scenes quickly without having to look down from webcam for example. Just found this out today but if you have a hotkey set (eg. 1 to change to scene 1), it disables it for other programmes. While I wouldn't advise a hotkey such as "1" if needed for other programmes, it's a handy touch so that streams don't accidentally switch cameras (if playing a game such as Quake or SC2 for example).

Available here: http://www.xsplit.com/

🤪

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,605 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Yea, XSplit is a great program for PC streaming, and could possibly be used for recording as well - although I'm not sure about the CPU usage of local recording.

I consider it the second best streaming program out there, after Livestream Procaster, so if you're using FMLE right now, I would advise you give XSplit a shot.

To echo what Sabre says though, the shortcuts do indeed disable it everywhere else on your computer. With a recent update making Ctrl+Alt+(Number) a shortcut to streaming on a certain platform, I have't been able to type the Euro symbol :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Finally getting a chance to mess around with this. Local recording works perfectly and hotkeys are really handy - just have to be careful to configure per game so that you don't remove something vital. Quicker jumps between screens may be nicer at times but that's a small niggle.

One issue I am having is when streaming to Justin.tv. Perhaps it's my settings or something that I am doing; perhaps it's a Justin.tv issue. Streaming works fine but when I click on Past Broadcasts or view videos of a test stream, the broadcast is fragmented. I am not streaming for long so typical clips clock in at under a minute. Anyone know what might be causing this?

🤪

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Finally getting a chance to mess around with this. Local recording works perfectly and hotkeys are really handy - just have to be careful to configure per game so that you don't remove something vital. Quicker jumps between screens may be nicer at times but that's a small niggle.

One issue I am having is when streaming to Justin.tv. Perhaps it's my settings or something that I am doing; perhaps it's a Justin.tv issue. Streaming works fine but when I click on Past Broadcasts or view videos of a test stream, the broadcast is fragmented. I am not streaming for long so typical clips clock in at under a minute. Anyone know what might be causing this?

I try to use it to stream on JTV aswell frm my PS3.Im capturing from a HD PVR but Xsplit isnt picking up any sound.I've tried stereo mix but that doesnt help.I'm forced the capture the audio from my microphone in my laptop which is placed next to the TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Hmmm...That's a strange one! I can't select my Hauppauge as a "camera" device - I have to screen capture from the package that comes with the recorder. But sound and all works fine. And this approach does work (though the resulting streamed quality is a different story and lesson)

Stupid question but I presume it's not muted and all cables in right :D

🤪

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Hmmm...That's a strange one! I can't select my Hauppauge as a "camera" device - I have to screen capture from the package that comes with the recorder. But sound and all works fine. And this approach does work (though the resulting streamed quality is a different story and lesson)

Stupid question but I presume it's not muted and all cables in right :D

Yeah everything is unmuted and all cables are in.I meant that I capture with the Hauppauge but then i still have to screen cap.My video quality on the stream is excellent but just no sound. Getting kind of annoying now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement