Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lump sum payment off Mortgage - good idea???

Options
  • 11-05-2011 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

I am thinking of paying a fairly substantial lump sum off my mortgage with INBS. Does anyone know if it's possible to get any extra benefits from doing this besides having lower repayments. I doubt if many people are offering to pay huge lump sums off their mortgage in the current climate and I'm wondering if the bank would offer any special incentives to encourage me to do this.

On the other hand, am I just being naive ????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

A shorter term?

What kind of thing did you have in mind?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Depend on whether you have a tracker or not. If you do, you'd make more money investing your lump sum in the long run than you would save in taking it off the mortgage. If not, go for it (as long as no penalties would apply).

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭safetymanager

I'm not sure what I have in mind but I do wonder if they offer incentives to get people like me to part with our money. I don't have a tracker, pity !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 trek04

With the lump sum method you are trading lower interest costs overall to a margin of safety. I think this cost is worth it during these scary economic times. At the end of the day you are paying off the mortgage a lot faster than your normally would.

Advertisement