Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Withdrawing from a subject?

Options
  • 11-05-2011 9:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

I need to know can you withdraw completely from a subject at any point or with x days notice even if you have already completed some of the leaving cert syllabus of that subject?

I want to do my third level studies in germany and I have reason to believe that my worst grade will be counted when it is converted to the German system (I asked the woman in charge of the conversions and am waiting for a reply), so keeping my 7th subject would in this situation be a burden.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

when I did my LC (granted it was a long time ago), I just walked into school on the last day for applied maths and told the principal "nope, not doing it. bye"

probably would have been more considerate of me to tell them in advance, but.. if you dont want to do the exam, you're under no obligation to. it's your last time in that school so don't let the teachers tell you what to do, and if you think a poor grade in an unneccesary exam would be held against you.. maybe it's best not to risk it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

hobo Joe wrote: »
    I need to know can you withdraw completely from a subject at any point or with x days notice even if you have already completed some of the leaving cert syllabus of that subject?

I want to do my third level studies in germany and I have reason to believe that my worst grade will be counted when it is converted to the German system (I asked the woman in charge of the conversions and am waiting for a reply), so keeping my 7th subject would in this situation be a burden.

You just don't sit the exam UNLESS the subject has a project/oral etc. that is already submitted. In that case it will be noted that you didn't sit the written exam and you would get 0 marks for that segment!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 hobo Joe

You just don't sit the exam UNLESS the subject has a project/oral etc. that is already submitted. In that case it will be noted that you didn't sit the written exam and you would get 0 marks for that segment!

This is the problem a practical is already sent off and will probably get marked even if I don't sit the exam the ones in germany will think I've just completely failed my exam AND add it into the conversion thereby lowering my result drastically.

This is the problem a practical is already sent off and will probably get marked but I don't want anything marked because then the ones in germany will think I've just completely failed my exam AND add it into the conversion thereby lowering my result.

I could be wrong but I have a feeling that projects, practicals etc. are kept in the school until exam time. Then the supervisor puts the exam papers in to the plastic folder thing with the project and they are sent off together.

Speak to your teacher and see if it's possible to like scrap it or something!

I could be wrong but I have a feeling that projects, practicals etc. are kept in the school until exam time. Then the supervisor puts the exam papers in to the plastic folder thing with the project and they are sent off together.

Speak to your teacher and see if it's possible to like scrap it or something!

I know that the DCG project was only kept for a few days in the school and then sent off.

• Advertisement

I know that the DCG project was only kept for a few days in the school and then sent off.

I assume DCG is the subject in question?

In that case you have no choice but to sit the exam..!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If the marks are already in the system it's a lot harder to stop it.
    If there are projects that will be monitored by a visiting corrector in June, it may be possible to get them withdrawn.

The problem is, the system will do anything it can to find the missing part of your exam if there is already a mark for a project or oral in the system. There are a number of safeguards in place, but I think there is also a form with projects which indicates which student is not presenting for exam and why not.

The person to speak to is your school Examinations Secretary. If it's a case where the projects/orals are already gone from the school, you may have to find a teacher on staff who has corrected and see if they can contact the Chief Examiner for you to get it withdrawn. To be honest though, they're up to their eyes with other stuff at the moment, so I don't know how hopeful I would be.

If there is no project/oral component, then just not showing up for the exam will ensure no mention of the subject appears on your results sheet.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Maybe_Memories

I hated economics with a passion. Knew I'd do crappy in the exam and I had applied maths outside school with was a guaranteed A1, so i brought in a note saying i wasn't doing it, got people to sign it, no hassle.

Although the exam was still there for me when during the LC, I didn't have to do it.

No one can make you do anything

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭gant0

I hated economics with a passion. Knew I'd do crappy in the exam and I had applied maths outside school with was a guaranteed A1, so i brought in a note saying i wasn't doing it, got people to sign it, no hassle.

Although the exam was still there for me when during the LC, I didn't have to do it.

No one can make you do anything
    That's not the point though.You don't have to sit the exam you'll just get a NG for it in your results but what the op is saying is that that NG will be counted towards his conversion grade unless it's totally scraped from his record.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Maybe_Memories

gant0 wrote: »
    That's not the point though.You don't have to sit the exam you'll just get a NG for it in your results but what the op is saying is that that NG will be counted towards his conversion grade unless it's totally scraped from his record.

The subject didn't even show up on my results sheet.

• Advertisement

spurious wrote: »
    If the marks are already in the system it's a lot harder to stop it.
    If there are projects that will be monitored by a visiting corrector in June, it may be possible to get them withdrawn.

The problem is, the system will do anything it can to find the missing part of your exam if there is already a mark for a project or oral in the system. There are a number of safeguards in place, but I think there is also a form with projects which indicates which student is not presenting for exam and why not.

The person to speak to is your school Examinations Secretary. If it's a case where the projects/orals are already gone from the school, you may have to find a teacher on staff who has corrected and see if they can contact the Chief Examiner for you to get it withdrawn. To be honest though, they're up to their eyes with other stuff at the moment, so I don't know how hopeful I would be.

If there is no project/oral component, then just not showing up for the exam will ensure no mention of the subject appears on your results sheet.

The subject in question is construction studies I did my practical today and completely messed it up that's why i want to get out of it, the pieces have been signed off but I'm guessing they're probably still in the school. I also signed off my project but it's not yet marked.

Does it enter the system once it's signed off or when it reaches the examination centre (or wherever) via post?

The subject didn't even show up on my results sheet.

The OP already has submitted part of his exam (that being the project) so it wil show up on his results sheet.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The subject in question is construction studies I did my practical today and completely messed it up that's why i want to get out of it, the pieces have been signed off but I'm guessing they're probably still in the school. I also signed off my project but it's not yet marked.

Does it enter the system once it's signed off or when it reaches the examination centre (or wherever) via post?

OK, if they have not left the school there is a chance. Talk to your Examinations Secretary first thing tomorrow.
    If you are under 18, have a letter from your parents backing you up in your decision not to enter the exam.

I hope it works out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

unless you made an absolute balls of the day exam I would consider sticking with it. Ive heard the quality expected for the day exam isnt very high so you might have done a lot better than expected.

We sat ours today and 23 out of 24 people didnt get it finished so dont be worrying. If your anyway decent at the theory you should be able to pull a pass easily.

Hope this helps if your forced to take the exam.

Advertisement