Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Queen/Obama Visit - House Searches

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

Slightly off topic but I imagine that house and car burglaries and petty crime will definitely be on the increase during Queenie's visit, what with all the Gardai deployed to ensuring her safety. Boo :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

A press release..oh goody!
    ‘‘Ireland’s open for business, it is a fun and engaging place to go, it’s good value, and there’s never been a better time to come here," said Gibbons.

but
    Gibbons acknowledged that significant challenges remained, in the shape of fewer flights arriving in Ireland from overseas. While hotel and food prices have come down, there remain other cost issues, such as the high price of petrol, which makes rental car-based holidays less appealing

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Degsy wrote: »
    How do you figure that,exactly?

Are more people going to visit Ireland coz the Queen was here? Will these hugely increased numbers offset the expense we've incurred looking after her welfare?

Tourism will NOt increase because of the queen..tourists who are already here will find themselves,inconvenienced,like the rest of us.

It will showcase Ireland, as I said, everyone's watching. If they're impressed with how well turned out you are; that can only be a good thing.

old hippy wrote: »
    It will showcase Ireland, as I said, everyone's watching. If they're impressed with how well turned out you are; that can only be a good thing.

And that implies that they havnt been watching the news or reading the papers for the past two years,or have no friends who've been here and told them what a rip-off it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Nice propaganda there FreudianSlippers. The city centre will be closed at unspecified times throughout the period in question. The public will not have guaranteed access to the shopping areas with road closures all over, the uncertainly of it all will drive shoppers away to the suburbs. The Zoo for example will lose millions of euro due to its long closure. Workers will not be able to access their jobs, thats loss of earnings. God help the taxi drivers!

The British queen will be visiting Guinness Brewery, that will mean the poster will not be able to access James Hospital by any mobile transport on the day she visits(which we do not even know exact time yet). If its another day, the Finglas bus will not make it into town as she will be somewhere else in the city!!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

And that implies that they havnt been watching the news or reading the papers for the past two years,or have no friends who've been here and told them what a rip-off it is.

Possibly. Possibly not.

If they are Irelandcentric or Hibernophiles, I'm sure they have an idea of what's what.

I just think you'll be under a bit more scrutiny than usual. Hells teeth, I don't really give a stuff at the end of the day, just think it would be a shame if it goes tits up...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

cosmic wrote: »
    Slightly off topic but I imagine that house and car burglaries and petty crime will definitely be on the increase during Queenie's visit, what with all the Gardai deployed to ensuring her safety. Boo :(

This is something everyone needs to be aware of - no matter where you are living in Ireland. Gardai are being redeployed from rural districts to entire different divisions next week in order to facilitate the policing operation, and opportunists will be out in force.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

A press release..oh goody!

but
    If you read the article, it clearly is in reference to challenges in bringing in tourism and business tourism from Asia.

old hippy wrote: »
    Possibly. Possibly not.

If they are Irelandcentric or Hibernophiles, I'm sure they have an idea of what's what.

I just think you'll be under a bit more scrutiny than usual. Hells teeth, I don't really give a stuff at the end of the day, just think it would be a shame if it goes tits up...

I'm with you 100% here. I couldn't give half a toss about the Queen or her visit. I'm just sick of the mis-information and bull**** that certain posters are putting forward.
    A complete lack of evidence and claims that are not only untrue, but wholly unsubstantiated.

Fine if they think it won't help tourism, they're wrong and they're entitled to be wrong. But quit the ****... if they are pissed because it's the Queen then say so. Stop this beating around the bush making up falsities regarding the visit.

gurramok wrote: »
    Nice propaganda there FreudianSlippers. The city centre will be closed at unspecified times throughout the period in question. The public will not have guaranteed access to the shopping areas with road closures all over, the uncertainly of it all will drive shoppers away to the suburbs. The Zoo for example will lose millions of euro due to its long closure. Workers will not be able to access their jobs, thats loss of earnings. God help the taxi drivers!

The British queen will be visiting Guinness Brewery, that will mean the poster will not be able to access James Hospital by any mobile transport on the day she visits(which we do not even know exact time yet). If its another day, the Finglas bus will not make it into town as she will be somewhere else in the city!!
    This is just blatantly untrue.

The city centre will not be closed at all. Public transport will run, pedestrians will still be allowed access and roads will be open at almost all times (bar the M50, N7 & N4) but diversions will be put in place temporarily where and when necessary.

James' hospital will be accessible at all times, to say anything to the contrary is untrue and scaremongering.

Where do you get your information or are you just making it up?

If you read the article, it clearly is in reference to challenges in bringing in tourism and business tourism from Asia.

The biggest challenges to bringing tourists in from anywhere is the fact that ireland,especially for tourists represents shiite value for money.

In addition how many Begoorah McIrishman americans save up for a trip to the Auld Sod to find almost everybody in the tourist industry is actually foreign?

If we wantto attract them back it'll take more than a patronising visit from the old Swan-Eater,thats for sure.

• Advertisement

The biggest challenges to bringing tourists in from anywhere is the fact that ireland,especially for tourists represents shiite value for money.

In addition how many Begoorah McIrishman americans save up for a trip to the Auld Sod to find almost everybody in the tourist industry is actually foreign?

If we wantto attract them back it'll take more than a patronising visit from the old Swan-Eater,thats for sure.
    You're comparing apples to oranges now.

Obama's trip is focused on US American tourism and business relations.

The Queen's visit is focused on bringing it Britons for non-weekend warrior binge drinking trips. An attempt to bring over Britons with their families for mini-breaks to do tourist-y things.
    The Pound to Euro conversion is actually strongly in the favour of them coming here.

I know you're so blindly opposed you refuse to see any other points, but you must accept that the concept of attempting to attract tourism money is worth a minor inconvenience... it's not like we're going to have LESS tourists coming over; that is unless we have lax security and someone tries to kill Obama and/or the Queen.

Seriously just rationally think about this for a second. Being opposed to the visit is totally different than being opposed to security. Get over it, the visit is happening and security needs to be there to stop these ideological zealots from doing something ****ing stupid.

I live in the city and I don't give a flying **** if they want to search me. I have nothing to hide.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,744 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

For info the zoo will be closed on 17 and 23 May only.

It will open as normal on all other days.

Tends to help to check the facts before making sweeping statements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

complete lack of evidence and claims that are not only untrue, but wholly unsubstantiated.

Fine if they think it won't help tourism, they're wrong
    Wheres your evidence that it will "help tourism" then?

I see no way that the queen of England coming here would "help tourism".

CiaranC wrote: »
    Wheres your evidence that it will "help tourism" then?

I see no way that the queen of England coming here would "help tourism".
    See post 42. There is empirical evidence from the fact that visits help countries especially when riding on the tails of a large international event (ie the wedding).

We'll see in a few weeks. What do I get when I'm right? ;)

See post 42. There is empirical evidence from the fact that visits help countries especially when riding on the tails of a large international event (ie the wedding).
    Theres no evidence in post 42, just you talking throught your hat.
    We'll see in a few weeks. What do I get when I'm right? ;)
    You win your right to privacy back. Nothing to hide indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

I wonder if the queen felt like it, and she asked politely her 'loyal' subjects in the north to return home to the mainland, would they obey? I doubt it. Perhaps she should attend an irish secondary school history class, that'd be good :)

This is just blatantly untrue.

The city centre will not be closed at all. Public transport will run, pedestrians will still be allowed access and roads will be open at almost all times (bar the M50, N7 & N4) but diversions will be put in place temporarily where and when necessary.

James' hospital will be accessible at all times, to say anything to the contrary is untrue and scaremongering.

Where do you get your information or are you just making it up?

I said "The city centre will be closed at unspecified times throughout the period in question.", that is true. It will not be closed all the time, reread again.

Roads will be closed in the city centre at unspecified times, that is a fact.

And how will public transport get access to the city centre when other forms of transport will be barred? Are they going to search everyone on a bus?!

How will James hospital be accessible when she is visiting the Guinness Brewery? Do you expect sick people attending the outpatients to walk for miles to get there? Kindly explain.

lxflyer wrote:
    For info the zoo will be closed on 17 and 23 May only.

It will open as normal on all other days.

Tends to help to check the facts before making sweeping statements.

Where is your source? I'll help you http://www.dublinzoo.ie/News/66-40/Dublin-Zoo-Opening-Times-from-17-May-to-24-May.aspx

Note the word restricted.
    For security reasons and on advice from An Garda Síochána access to Dublin Zoo will be restricted from 17 May to 24 May. Dublin Zoo will be open as normal from 9.30am – 6pm on 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 and 24 May. Dublin Zoo will be closed on 17 and 23 May only. Parking and pedestrian access will be restricted from 17 – 24 May.

Please see further details below:

17 May:

Dublin Zoo will be closed

18, 19, 20 May:

Dublin Zoo will be open as normal from 9.30am – 6.00pm
    No parking will be permitted within the Phoenix Park
    Pedestrians will gain entry via North Circular Road gate only

21 May:

Dublin Zoo will host Africa Day celebrations all day
    Phoenix Park will be open to Dublin Zoo visitors only
    Limited car parking will be available for Dublin Zoo visitors only
    Access will be permitted via Park Gate Street entrance only

22 May:

Phoenix Park will be open to Dublin Zoo visitors only
    Limited car parking will be available for Dublin Zoo visitors only
    Access will be permitted via Park Gate Street entrance only

23 May:

Dublin Zoo will be closed

24 May:

No parking will be permitted within the Phoenix Park
    Pedestrians will gain entry via North Circular Road gate only

Parking is banned, bus routes will be restricted as well as vehicular travel. "Pedestrians will gain entry via North Circular Road gate only", how will they reach that gate, do you expect visitors to walk for miles to get there and then be subject to random searches?

And will the Zoo be compensated for loss of revenue from the lack of visitors?

Theres no evidence in post 42, just you talking throught your hat.

Ok, so what evidence do you have that it'll have no effect or that it'll damage tourism.

I mean other than the fact that we've seen it boosted before on other similar visits and it's proven in this country and other countries that it does.
    No, but because you, Mr. keyboard warrior, says it doesn't... it doesn't.

The Queen's visit is focused on bringing it Britons for non-weekend warrior binge drinking trips. An attempt to bring over Britons with their families for mini-breaks to do tourist-y things.

Who says??
    HOW is the queen coming here making it a better destination for English families???

Why would they come here when they're just as close to france..the weather is better,the prices lower,the facilities are better,the food and drink is excellent and most of all there's a history of British families goingther on holidays.

Anybody briniging two kids here for a fortnight to stay on a caravan site(if we have them) would end up paying around 5 grand for the privilege.

Ireland is a shiit destination and thats because of the greed and stupidity of the Govt and the people working in the tourism industry.

I said "The city centre will be closed at unspecified times throughout the period in question.", that is true. It will not be closed all the time, reread again.
    I read it the first time. It's wrong. The City Centre will NOT be closed.
    Certain roads will be temporarily closed to vehicular traffic only and diversions will be put in place.
    Roads will be closed in the city centre at unspecified times, that is a fact.
    See above. Temporarily and diversions will be in place.
    And how will public transport get access to the city centre when other forms of transport will be barred? Are they going to search everyone on a bus?!
    All forms of transport are not barred. Buses are being informed of when certain stretches of road will be closed and will divert as will all other traffic. At no stage will all CC roads be closed and it's highly unlikely that the N & S Quays will ever be closed at the same time or for any extended period of time.

How will James hospital be accessible when she is visiting the Guinness Brewery? Do you expect sick people attending the outpatients to walk for miles to get there? Kindly explain.
    Simple. James's Street will not be closed. It is not on the list of streets that will have disruptions. Even if it was, which it isn't, why not access from the other direction?

• Advertisement

Who says??
    HOW is the queen coming here making it a better destination for English families???

Why would they come here when they're just as close to france..the weather is better,the prices lower,the facilities are better,the food and drink is excellent and most of all there's a history of British families goingther on holidays.

Anybody briniging two kids here for a fortnight to stay on a caravan site(if we have them) would end up paying around 5 grand for the privelege.

Ireland is a shiit destination and thats because of the greed and stupidity of the Govt and the people working in the tourism industry.
    It's an attempt, you'd be the exact type to cry all day about them doing nothing.

It's an attempt, you'd be the exact type to cry all day about them doing nothing.

For all practical purposes they ARE doing nothing..this whole ghastly sham was orcehstrated so certain politicians can further thier own careers by saying the brought the queen over...no more no less.

As i've said over and over..if they want to actually bring tourists into the country they should concentrate on clearing up the very visible scumbag problem,lowering prices and improve tourist infastructure.

They could have done any of these things with a fraction of the money being pissed away on the royal visit..that cow in the Pheonix Park never gets sick of junkets,arse kissing and pressing the flesh,this will be a massive feather in her cap,as well as for the idiots in Govt to raise thier profile a bit too.

For all practical purposes they ARE doing nothing..this whole ghastly sham was orcehstrated so certain politicians can further thier own careers by saying the brought the queen over...no more no less.

As i've said over and over..if they want to actually bring tourists into the country they should concentrate on clearing up the very visible scumbag problem,lowering prices and improve tourist infastructure.

They could have done any of these things with a fraction of the money being pissed away on the royal visit..that cow in the Pheonix Park never gets sick of junkets,arse kissing and pressing the flesh,this will be a massive feather in her cap,as well as for the idiots in Govt to raise thier profile a bit too.
    I don't necessarily disagree with you on that point, but I don't see it as doing nothing. I see it as a fairly insignificant gesture but a gesture nonetheless... and one that is imminent.

My point is that it's happening now in less than a week and we need to provide security for it. The point is to boost tourism and we need to advertise - this is nothing but a publicity stunt to raise awareness and it'll work.

Now we need to do what you suggest, and rightfully so, before we start seeing the increase in tourism that will result from this advertising.

Ok, so what evidence do you have that it'll have no effect or that it'll damage tourism.

I mean other than the fact that we've seen it boosted before on other similar visits and it's proven in this country and other countries that it does.
    No, but because you, Mr. keyboard warrior, says it doesn't... it doesn't.

Can you point to an article or anything where there was a boost to tourism somewhere this queen visited?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Please consider the Judgemnt of Costello J in Heaney v Ireland [1994] 3 IR 593. You will see that very few rights are completely without fetter. If "Privacy" was likely to be jeopardised to an unnecessary extent by the Public Order Act 1994, than it may never have been implemented.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,744 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Where is your source? I'll help you http://www.dublinzoo.ie/News/66-40/Dublin-Zoo-Opening-Times-from-17-May-to-24-May.aspx

Note the word restricted.

Parking is banned, bus routes will be restricted as well as vehicular travel. "Pedestrians will gain entry via North Circular Road gate only", how will they reach that gate, do you expect visitors to walk for miles to get there and then be subject to random searches?

And will the Zoo be compensated for loss of revenue from the lack of visitors?

You said that "The Zoo for example will lose millions of euro due to its long closure" in your earlier post.

I'm merely making the point from the same link that the zoo will be shut only on two days and will (I quote) "be open as normal" on all other days albeit with restricted access and parking.

There is quite a difference between the two.

They can reach that gate via the 46a as most other non-driving zoo visitors have done over the years!

Can you point to an article or anything where there was a boost to tourism somewhere this queen visited?
    Yeah, I can but it'll have to wait. I'm away for the weekend.

Oh wait, not the queen... but state visits in general boost tourism from the country from which the person is going. Fact.

Yeah, I can but it'll have to wait. I'm away for the weekend.

Oh wait, not the queen... but state visits in general boost tourism from the country from which the person is going. Fact.

I look forward to reading that, thanks.

You dont know that and you cant prove it..anyway,not everybody in England likes the monarchy..this visit might have exactly the opposite effect.

• Advertisement

I read it the first time. It's wrong. The City Centre will NOT be closed.
    Certain roads will be temporarily closed to vehicular traffic only and diversions will be put in place.

See above. Temporarily and diversions will be in place.

All forms of transport are not barred. Buses are being informed of when certain stretches of road will be closed and will divert as will all other traffic. At no stage will all CC roads be closed and it's highly unlikely that the N & S Quays will ever be closed at the same time or for any extended period of time.

Simple. James's Street will not be closed. It is not on the list of streets that will have disruptions. Even if it was, which it isn't, why not access from the other direction?

Out of all this, you have some serious faith in diversions getting people to their destinations. Diversions result from closure of streets which means heavier traffic in a smaller area, there will be tailbacks with resulting delays.

Advertisement