Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Architects Fees

Options
  • 11-05-2011 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭

On a say 1000 sq ft extension

Im estimating the build with finishes is 100k (realistic?). How much would a good architect charge? Note te existing house would need some reconfiguration

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,645 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056199544

everything is relative....

prices depend on the services you require (whether you know what you need, or not)...... or are willing to pay for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

Thanks

I read through that thread and the prices were well below what I expected

The house is 1930s, 1400sq ft. Is is not a normal Semi. Its all higgeldy piggeldy, all stone walls and 4 fireplaces on one chimney stack - I think I counted 11 cubbyholes & closets. So I think I need a person with very strong design skills, in terms of reconfiguration of existing dwelling and sympathy with the extension

I need someone to look after drawings, planning and builder vetting with some PM for on-site work

I expected that tro cost circa 10k. Sounds like I can get it for far less?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

D1stant wrote: »
    Thanks

The house is 1930s, 1400sq ft. Is is not a normal Semi. Its all higgeldy piggeldy, all stone walls and 4 fireplaces on one chimney stack - I think I counted 11 cubbyholes & closets. So I think I need a person with very strong design skills, in terms of reconfiguration of existing dwelling and sympathy with the extension

I need someone to look after drawings, planning and builder vetting with some PM for on-site work

Darragh, try and associate this process with your own profession.

Write as comprehensive a list of your requirements as possible and ask as many questions/ideas at the start of the process as possible, before any hours are spent by your consultant designing. This may help to keep the costs down. I'm not suggesting you need to know what the end design will look like, just that the more changes you make and ambiguous your brief is the harder (and more expensive) it may be.

Regarding the amount of capital for your 1000qsft extension. You need to carefully price everything and be aware of the hidden costs (IMHO opening up and renovating an existing building requires a large contingency)
    Its also something you only want to do once, so try to do it to the best standard you can. Consider:
    • what standard you expect of the proposed extension and existing dwelling
    • what energy rating you wish to achieve (A1 or passive etc)
    • what materials you want to use (visual & environmental ideals)
    • stone walls suggest to me that you should consider natural based insulation methods that allow the structure to breathe
    • how much work/alterations are required to the existing house ( insulation, glazing and structural etc)
    best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

Thanks

Very hard to say. Maybe , maybe not. On the one hand you have described what may involve lots and lots of detailed design. Or maybe to existing "higeldy piggeldy" will simply be ripped out ( if this is appropriate and does not ruin character ) . The lower end costs you have seen for fees tend to be associated with straight forward projects.

To expand. Sometimes the new house on green field can be relatively simple because their is no existing structure to restrict or complicate the design ( and later the build ) . Conversely , apparently simple extensions or renovations can be complex arising out of restrictions and complication associated with the original structure.

It all depends on

1. the nature of your existing building
    2. what you want at the end.

Seek out only architects who can show they have done similar for others .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

Thanks for your replies

More info

what standard you expect of the proposed extension and existing dwelling

I expect a very good standard - everything is relative I know but I expect this to be the familly home for many years to come, so If I need to sacrafice cash for quality, thats ok (within reason)

what energy rating you wish to achieve (A1 or passive etc)

I dont know much about this topic, but I want the house to be as energy efficient as possible as long as it makes commercial sense. Solar panels are a probable. Heating will have to be installed as at the moment it only has storage heaters (digging up existing concretet floor). Underfloor versus conventional, PV, Passive Im not sure of. If something has a payback of say 10 years I'll do it, but Im not an Eco-Zealot by any means

what materials you want to use (visual & environmental ideals)

The external will be in the same style. Internally I want it to be modern. Timber floors, Lots of glass and light. Clean lines.

stone walls suggest to me that you should consider natural based insulation methods that allow the structure to breathe

Could you elaborate? I knowe there are some grants available but I p[resumed I would be insulation slabbing the interior of all external walls

how much work/alterations are required to the existing house ( insulation, glazing and structural etc)

Structural I dont expect any. New windows will be required at least on the front - budget say 2k for that

I will look at some of the other houses in the area that have been extended. I will talk to architects and builders who have done teh work and I will get 3 quotes from architects

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Thanks for your replies

More info

what standard you expect of the proposed extension and existing dwelling

I expect a very good standard - everything is relative I know but I expect this to be the familly home for many years to come, so If I need to sacrafice cash for quality, thats ok (within reason)

what energy rating you wish to achieve (A1 or passive etc)

I dont know much about this topic, but I want the house to be as energy efficient as possible as long as it makes commercial sense. Solar panels are a probable. Heating will have to be installed as at the moment it only has storage heaters (digging up existing concretet floor). Underfloor versus conventional, PV, Passive Im not sure of. If something has a payback of say 10 years I'll do it, but Im not an Eco-Zealot by any means

what materials you want to use (visual & environmental ideals)

The external will be in the same style. Internally I want it to be modern. Timber floors, Lots of glass and light. Clean lines.

stone walls suggest to me that you should consider natural based insulation methods that allow the structure to breathe

Could you elaborate? I knowe there are some grants available but I p[resumed I would be insulation slabbing the interior of all external walls

how much work/alterations are required to the existing house ( insulation, glazing and structural etc)

Structural I dont expect any. New windows will be required at least on the front - budget say 2k for that

I will look at some of the other houses in the area that have been extended. I will talk to architects and builders who have done teh work and I will get 3 quotes from architects

Its very much a speculative conversation were having here, till your chosen consultant sits down with you, surveys you home and teases out your requirements in detail, I'm guessing on any specifics discussed.

I may have miss understood your original post, are the walls rubble stone work or are they faced externally with stone? there are several threads here and on the construct Ireland forums discussing the issues of drylining with poly based insulations and their future problems with condensation, mould etc. but again a good arch can assess these risks.

Advertisement