Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on getting alot of money on

Options
  • 11-05-2011 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I have a horse and if he keeps going the way he is he will be nailed on for a handicap in 5/6 weeks. On a short break at moment to keep him fresh and well :D

I would like to get some information/advice/inside information and common pitfalls of trying to land a gamble.
    Various bookie limits before they call head office, etc (how their alarm bells start ringing)

I basically want to get as much on as possible on a “penalty kick” that no one knows about (3 people). I have some trusted people who could place bets, however I don’t want alarm bells to ring, causing a sudden price drop.

Any advice, experiences and strategies would be welcomed + any positive and negative experiences would also be welcomed

additional info:
    horse will be 33-1
    5K total at best prices from 33-1 downwards
    handicap on a decent track

all advice help welcome (for all that leave good advice and a tel number i will give a quick txt 10 min before off of race)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

If you have some inside information then I'd suggest having several people put on a bet at the same time. If you put on a big bet on a horse then the price will drop and the other bookies will usually follow accordingly. If you do it all at once then you can get more money on at the best price. This is especially applicable if you are going to be doing it at the races on the day.

So what I'd suggest is have a few close friends put on big bets at several bookies. Also open a betfair account and have a big bet on there. If it's a well kept secret then do it close to the off because if the horse isn't at all fancied then it's price will go much higher than 33/1 on betfair if it is a 33/1 shot.

The norm would be for you to tell a few close friends who can keep it to themselves and give them a cut of the money if your horse wins for them doing you a favour. Make sure to place all the bets at around the same time so that everyone gets the best price available.

Obviously don't tell people who have big mouths or you won't get on at a good price yourself. The only way it can end negatively for you is if the horse doesn't end up winning but that's obviously a risk you have to take. Getting the money you want on the horse is obviously easier if you do it with several bookies as you won't just be dropping 5k on an outside horse at a random bookie, which is another benefit of that method. That's the best way I know how to do it anyway and I've seen it done successfully. It's not exactly uncommon in the Irish racing scene seeing a horse going from 30s to 5s or so. The horse doesn't always win but you can bet your arse the trainer/owner are involved in holding up a good horse until he ends up in a race full of donkeys at a good price only to walk it home when left to run! Good luck with it anyway I hope it pays off

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Probably the best and easiest way would be to get a few mates to set up a good few online betting accounts with different bookies (this way you'll also get the best value), had the horse selected in the slip and money ready to be placed, then you text around and get them all to place the bet within minutes of each other. As jive said Betfair usually gives get odds on outsider horses, as do the Tote in the race course.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,276 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Ya just got to PM the name of horse to us:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

Ya just got to PM the name of horse to us:D

I second that ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭dotsflan

as the guys above state, something like this would be the best way to go about it :)

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/classic-gamble-proves-a-winner-8364200000-in-oldschool-betting-coup-2230809.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

Ive done this a couple of times before.
    1st word of warning dont do it in the morning,this will only set alarm bells ringing wait untill the show prices come in, dont take early prices, that means you have to keep it hush all day.

open telephone accounts, but dont lodge all or most of your money with any particular firm, as they refuse your bet your fooked. Believe it or not PP are the best to take money on gambles, VC, 365, Ladbrokes are all a waste of time.

Everyone ring and place bets at same time, about 500quid at a time is safe enough. Youl also get a lot on on course.

Hope you have a strong heart, tough thing to look at when your trying to land a gamble, best feeling in the world when it comes good though.

Best of luck

Most importantly I nearly forgot,

Know and trust your jockey, tell him go out and in his race and youl have a few pound for him.

Ive experienced a gamble lost as a result of the jockey pulling the horse. He had another horse backed in the same race.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭yeehaw

I may be able to put you in touch with someone who could facilitate something like this- have you ever heard of the Admiral? PM for details.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭R0UF

Don't bother with the bookies. I once tried to have 500 e/w at 50/1 and they only took half of it.

The TOTE on course could be you best option. If you want to have 5 grand at 33s, I've often seen 33/1 shots with the bookies paying 66/1 on the TOTE. You would only have to 2.5k on the TOTE then.

Good point about the jockey above. We gambled one 2 years ago and the jockey had to ask text us on the way to the start to see if we had backed it for him.

Also make sure the trainer knows where the course is. You wouldn't believe how many gambles go wrong every day when the trianer brings the horse to the wrong course. Even if you can get there in time then, the horse is usually an emotional wreck from all the travelling.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

LandaTouch wrote: »
    I have a horse and if he keeps going the way he is he will be nailed on for a handicap in 5/6 weeks. On a short break at moment to keep him fresh and well :D

I would like to get some information/advice/inside information and common pitfalls of trying to land a gamble.
    Various bookie limits before they call head office, etc (how their alarm bells start ringing)

I basically want to get as much on as possible on a “penalty kick” that no one knows about (3 people). I have some trusted people who could place bets, however I don’t want alarm bells to ring, causing a sudden price drop.

Any advice, experiences and strategies would be welcomed + any positive and negative experiences would also be welcomed

additional info:
    horse will be 33-1
    5K total at best prices from 33-1 downwards
    handicap on a decent track

all advice help welcome (for all that leave good advice and a tel number i will give a quick txt 10 min before off of race)
    That doesn't make sense if it's nailed on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,518 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

If you can find another fairly certain winner the same day do a few doubles.
    Its more of a risk of course but bookies are less likely to spot it and the price should hold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Different bookies at the same time.
    Post here then, we might still get 8/1.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Derek!

Vanbis wrote: »
    I second that ;)
    Yup good idea :D

So if the OP gives us all the horse, we in turn will cough up for the training bill of €1000 plus every month? Sounds fair to me, doubt it that will happen somehow

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Denners.ie

ft9 wrote: »
    Believe it or not PP are the best to take money on gambles

I presume the "couple of times" you did this you had minimal stakes because they refused €100 e/w for me before on two occasions.

OP if it really is a 33/1 shot on the day then Betfair is probably your best bet as jive said. Will be longer odds and nobody will question it.

Nope, they took €500 win bets no prob

The thing about Betfair is that theres no liquidity untill just before the off, and even at that, hard to imagine 5k there to be taken at greater than 33s

So if the OP gives us all the horse, we in turn will cough up for the training bill of €1000 plus every month? Sounds fair to me, doubt it that will happen somehow

I don't see the problem of him telling us who the horse is after the good price is gone and he + his connections with the horse have their money on! It's no loss to him.
    Nope, they took €500 win bets no prob

The thing about Betfair is that theres no liquidity untill just before the off, and even at that, hard to imagine 5k there to be taken at greater than 33s

Yeah thats true but depending on the race (I can't imagine OP has a horse running in a top race given the circumstances :P) there can be a good bit of money down, usually ~ 100k or so. While the 5k bet will be taken you might get 100 @ 40.0, 100 @ 38.0, etc. until the entire 5k has been matched depending on the race and the money that has been placed on the market already.

The thing is with betfair is that you are guaranteed they will take your bet, but they will also take 5% of your winnings :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭Bluesteel7

Any chance the horse's name is Landa Touch? :D

Have you tried online betting? Max is €300 on PP but if you get few to do it at the same time odds should not go down.

Yes Jive, no problem if the owners money is down 1st, no one said that only you and US.

A lot of people don't understand the costs of owning a horse in training. Yes, your right about Betfair.

Yes Jive, no problem if the owners money is down 1st, no one said that only you and US.

A lot of people don't understand the costs of owning a horse in training. Yes, your right about Betfair.

Fair enough but I assume people wanted the horse after he's had his gamble! Or even just for interests sakes after he's put the money on to watch the race :D

Yeah horses are expensive but they pay for themselves if you can land a big gamble such as this :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭mjp

Easiest way to do this is online through as many different bookies as possible and the key to maximizing amount to get on is timing. Trying to get on in shops leaves you open to too many delays. one person placing bet 2 minutes early will raise eyebrows and traders in h/o will suspend price until they suss out what is going on.

Managed to pull off a coup earlier this year and internet has made pulling such a coup much easier than what it used be 5-10 years ago.

What we did was got few friends and family who had no huge interest in betting to agree to open accounts in their names.Told them was having a punt on their account and would lodge capital into bank a/c €1,500 and would give them a % of winnings5-10 % in this case if horse won.

(Got card details ,name address, (as shown on card as may cause a hiccup if bank and bookies details dont match) and date of birth.

Proceeded to open up 5 betting accounts each person with bookies. Key to this was knowing what was the max they would accept on horse. Firms like powers and ladbrokes display this under the Info sign on each bet . With other fiirms this can be easily done by attempting to back a horse @ similar price in a similar race for a huge amount 20k which will duly be objected and will tell u the max stake they will accept on horse. In this case it varied from €300 upto max of 700. Make sure there is no money in your account to meet this bet if for the off chance your bet accepted or else you would really be up sh*t creek......haha

Max bet on all new accounts were the same with each firm for the different people.

Note: Make sure to have accounts validated before setting up as many of the english bookies request ID and Proof of address prior to accepting first bet as this was a hiccup we encountered and is one of the things that can go wrong.

We used a number of laptops and had agreed times to place bets with different firms. Bets were loaded with each firm money lodged into account so it was just a matter of clicking confirm. Internet cafe can be useful for this either as long as you ok it with owner what you are doing.

Waited until hour before race or so to place bets.

Hit bigger accounts first so Paddy power @6:05, ladbrokes 6 07, Bet 365 6 08. Managed get bets on with 5 different firms in space of 4 mins so money was on.

Agree with poster above that the wait until the race is when the sh*t really hits the fan but what a feeling when you know you pull it off and know you've got one over on the crookies.

Its just a matter then of withdrawing all funds and read through your e mails from trading " How unfortunately they can no longer accept bets from your account in Future"

I say adios to them and your name staill aint blacklisted with them as you are using accounts for people who will never look to open a betting account with them.

Get great enjoyment out of writing this story and brings back great memories.

Key thing is understanding how each website works and processes bets. Quick broadband is also a helpful addition.

Look forward to hearing how you get on Landa Touch and if you have any questions PM me and ill try be of some help to you

^^^^^ This is your answer OP, best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Hey mjp was it your horsie?

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Cartel Mike

I live close to the border and if theres a bet that really takes my fancy i nip across and place it there.
    Its only worked once but when you change your win back into euros its like a 20/1 suddenly becomes a 30/1 .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

i remember gettin wind of a high profile appointment to an english premier league club before it was announced

i spent the day driving around teh city to every bookies i could think of putting on 50quid bets, so not to arouse suspicion

two days later, my info came good and i was a couple of grand richer.

although, a huge chuck was then taken from the winnings to foot the petrol bill goin round collecting them all!

thank you very much Peter Reid :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 LandaTouch

The day approaches, the plans are being made and 3 races have been lined up (has been entered alot lately with no intension of running...making sure he is goning to get into at least one of the 3 races..balloting in ireland is a joke)

We are very happy with piece of work this morning (one more and he'll be spot on)

:DThis time 2 weeks I'll be loaded:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

Hope it works out for you .

Is it an Irish meeting?

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭noelpat

just curious but how do you know it will be 33/1?
    i will be backing all the 33/1 shots in 2 weeks :pac:

iggy wrote: »
    Hope it works out for you .

Is it an Irish meeting?

Yep in Ireland

• Advertisement

noelpat wrote: »
    just curious but how do you know it will be 33/1?
    i will be backing all the 33/1 shots in 2 weeks :pac:

You should see his form ;);) + jockey will not be a big name (if you know what I mean)

Cant really say any more.....but i guess if you are watching racing and you see a market move for an outsider with very poor form in a hcap hurdle in the next 2 weeks...my advice would be to GET ON

Advertisement