Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog in apartment

Options
  • 11-05-2011 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

there's a girl coming to look at my apartment tomorrow with a view to renting one of the bedrooms however she has a westie dig, I know they are small dogs, but are they yelpy/smelly because I dont want it if it is..... Also, should I ask for more rent if she's going to have a dog too?

Advise please and thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

Check your lease with the management company. You may not be allowed to have a dog in the apartment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Not smelly, but can be yappy (depends on the dog). Ask what she plans on doing with it during the day- does it go to work with her, does she plan on shutting it in her room (a bored dog is more likely to bark). Increased rent is not normal, but an extra pet deposit (to cover possible extra damage) is.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭doubleglaze

I'm a dog owner and formerly rented out a house. I wouldn't rent out a house without getting an extra 50 -200 per month. Dogs can damage flooring, kitchens, all the doors they have access to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

there's a lot of questions you need to ask, for your sake as well as the potential renter and her dog!

will she be out all day? (working/student whatever)
    where will dog be? confined to her bedroom/ secure back garden/ or will she expect the dog to have free reign of the house?
    even when she is there, I'm sure she'll expect dog to be in kitchen with her while she's cooking/eating, in sitting room while watching TV etc
    will dog be allowed on coach? does dog shed much? fully toilet trained?

I know it's a lot of questions and they need to be addressed.

If you're not 100% happy/comfortable with it, don't do it.
    It'll only cause trouble down the line and inevitably end badly

Also, as mentioned, if you don't own the property you'll need permisson from landlord/lady

TBH I don't think a yorkie will be much hassle, they can be a bit yappy but not if they're exercised and given enough attention.

Meet the girl and her dog and see how you get on. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

magentas wrote: »

Also, as mentioned, if you don't own the property you'll need permisson from landlord/lady

Eh, the landlord doesn't own the apartment either. The house rules for the complex need to be checked 1st then see if the LL will allow a pet, if the OP is renting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Tell her to bring the dog with her.

Dog breeds aren't specifically yappy or noisy, it depends on how the dog has been trained.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭bernyh

AFAIK dogs are not permitted in apartments full stop... diff story if it's an own door apt, but with communal entry absolutely no go...... our managment co are at the moment threatening ppl with pets with eviction

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I agree it's unlikely the Management Company will allow dogs or that the landlord would. Think about it...home after home stacked on top of and beside each other...noise carries. What can you hear from the apartments around you already? A dog barking seems to penetrate the walls like few other sounds.

People here have had to get rid of dogs or move out. Someone wanting a pet does not entitle them to disturb countless other residents.

All that says nothing of the potential damage, smells etc in the apartment.

Advertisement