Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can't get Eircom email on iPhone

• 11-05-2011 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

Got an iPhone 3 and can't get my eircom email on it. Gmail is no problem and I have my eircom emails coming through my gmail account on the iPhone at the moment but then the eircom mails don't go to my outlook account on my laptop which is where I need them to be for various reasons. Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Roisin_Dubh

Do you have "pop.eircom.net" as your host name in the email settings? You should also have "push" selected and your emails will go to the iphone and laptop, at least it works for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rambo

Got an iPhone 3 and can't get my eircom email on it. Gmail is no problem and I have my eircom emails coming through my gmail account on the iPhone at the moment but then the eircom mails don't go to my outlook account on my laptop which is where I need them to be for various reasons. Any ideas?

here the mail setting you should use

http://support.eircom.net/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE/&/?New&Kb=bb&Company={1326AEE5-D1C7-47EA-B46D-F52C67C45DC5}

I use

Incoming Mail Server:
    webmail.eircom.net
    Outgoing Mail Server:
    mail1.eircom.net

and it works fine

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭safetymanager

Thanks for the replies. I have tried everything advised and I still can't access my emails. Any other suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks for the replies. I have tried everything advised and I still can't access my emails. Any other suggestions would be welcome.

this might help

http://www.donal.ie/2009/12/29/adding-eircom-net-mail-to-iphone/

use pop3 does not work imap

do not use ssl

and leave the outgoing mail1.eircom.net

username and password blank

try that out works fine for me ok

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭matchthis

I think what your saying is that your emails are auto deleting from the server once they're pushed down to the iPhone. Not sure how this happens. It did happen to me with a blackberry and an email account I had. Think it was fixed by changing something in my email account when logged in online or it might have been outlook. A bit like outlook only downloaded unread emails, but they were all marked as read as a result of been sent to the blackberry.
    Sorry I don't have a definite answer, but might be with a look

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Crackity Jones

When you fetch your eircom a/c through gmail there is an option in gmail to delete the eircom message or keep it on the eircom server. You should untick the delete option if ticked. Alternatively just set up the eircom a/c as a separate pop mail on your iphone

When you fetch your eircom a/c through gmail there is an option in gmail to delete the eircom message or keep it on the eircom server. You should untick the delete option if ticked. Alternatively just set up the eircom a/c as a separate pop mail on your iphone[/QUOT

That's my problem though, I can't get my eircom email up and running on my iPhone which is why I started this thread. I have done everything suggested and still no luck !!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

When you fetch your eircom a/c through gmail there is an option in gmail to delete the eircom message or keep it on the eircom server. You should untick the delete option if ticked. Alternatively just set up the eircom a/c as a separate pop mail on your iphone[/QUOT

That's my problem though, I can't get my eircom email up and running on my iPhone which is why I started this thread. I have done everything suggested and still no luck !!
    You should have the eircom details set up on the phone.
    Go into settings>Mail,contacts,calendar>{Your Eircom account}>advanced>Incoming settings>Remove from server - change to never

That should be the same on gmail and on your outlook account as well. That way you have to delete emails yourself manually.

Its a bit hard to follow, but you seem to be able to get your Eircom emails if its routed through gmail, but you can't get it directly on the iPhone? If thats the case, you need to stop routing them through gmail, as it seems that it is deleting them there once it has been read.

I don't have my Eircom email set up on my phone 'cos it won't allow me to do so. It says that the server (no matter which one I enter) does not support the passwords authentication. So, if I could get it set up it would probably work as my eircom mails come into my gmail account no bother. While I am glad to be able to access the eircom emails when I'm out and about I would prefer them to come to my eircom address so that they would be in Outlook on my laptop which is where I accessed my emails before I got the iPhone. Maybe I am missing something in the replies here, I'm not great on technology !!!

I don't have my Eircom email set up on my phone 'cos it won't allow me to do so. It says that the server (no matter which one I enter) does not support the passwords authentication. So, if I could get it set up it would probably work as my eircom mails come into my gmail account no bother. While I am glad to be able to access the eircom emails when I'm out and about I would prefer them to come to my eircom address so that they would be in Outlook on my laptop which is where I accessed my emails before I got the iPhone. Maybe I am missing something in the replies here, I'm not great on technology !!!

so you should have :

Pop Account information

Name first name last name
    address youremail@eircom.net
    description Eircom

Incoming mail Server
    host name: webmail.eircom.net
    User Name: your eircom user name (NOT EMAIL ADDRESS)
    Password: youreircompassword

Outgoing Mail Server

mail1.eircom.net
    User Name Blank
    Password Blank
    Use SSL OFF

Advanced

deleted message
    Remove after one week

incoming setting
    Use SSL OFF
    Authentication Password
    Delete from server Never
    Server Port 110

• Advertisement

Thanks Rambo. I have just gotten an error message saying:

The SMTP server "mail1.eircom.net" doesn't support Password Authentication. Please check your account settings and try again.

I am at a loss as to what to do next to be honest.

Thanks Rambo. I have just gotten an error message saying:

The SMTP server "mail1.eircom.net" doesn't support Password Authentication. Please check your account settings and try again.

I am at a loss as to what to do next to be honest.

on the Iphone for outgoing mail server should look like this

Outgoing Mail server
    Host Name mail1.eircom.net
    User Name Optional
    Password Optional
    Use SSL OFF
    Authentication > Password
    Server Port 587

make sure its says optional
    ok

your nearly there

Well Rambo, I have had success at last due to your answer here. I have the account set up now but my eircom emails are currently routed to my gmail account (someone set that up for me) so now I need to know how to get them routed back to my eircom account. Can you help with this by any chance ????

Thank you so much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

Hya

I have followed the info above and I'm still getting the following message

'The user name or password for "Eircom" is incorrect'

Any ideas on what I am doing wrong?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Well Rambo, I have had success at last due to your answer here. I have the account set up now but my eircom emails are currently routed to my gmail account (someone set that up for me) so now I need to know how to get them routed back to my eircom account. Can you help with this by any chance ????

Thank you so much.

Top right where it says your email address, click the 'cog wheel' for options.
    Select 'mail options'.
    Click the accounts tab.
    Where it says 'Get mail from other accounts', you should see your eircom address.
    To the right of it click 'delete'.

Hi Knine, I thought I was following Rambo's instructions properly but in fact I was putting my email address into the username field. Try it again, slowly, and do exactly as Rambo says and it will work. I am up and running now with no problems whatsoever. Let me know how you get on.

Thanks to Kaizersoze, I now have my eircom email back to normal and I can access it either on my laptop or my iPhone. It's good too to have my Gmail on the iPhone so I am always up to date.

And thanks once again to Rambo.

Hya Safetymanager,

I have the username as the name that shows up on my email. Also I changed the outgoing server port to 587 but it keeps changing back to 25. So I don't know what to do next:confused:

Edited to add that I went onto my laptop to see exactly what my username is and it is my email address so I put in that and it worked. I'm delighted! Thanks for all the help guys!

I'll list all my settings here ok, see if this helps.

Pop Account Information;
    Name: Enter your own name here
    Address: Enter your email address here
    Description: Your email address goes here but I think it does that automatically.

Incoming Mail Server:
    Host name: Webmail.eircom.net
    User name: This is the part of your email address before the @ sign. So for example if your email address is 123456@eircom.net then you enter 123456 here.
    Password: Your email account password goes here

Outgoing Mail Server:
    SMTP: mail1.eircom.net

Advanced:
    Remove: After one week
    Incoming Settings:
    Use SSL: OFF
    Authentication: Password
    Delete from Server: Never
    Server Port: 110

Tap Done after this and you go back to the previous page. You will see:
    Fetch New Data: Select Push and whatever timing you want for your mail to be checked for new arrivals.

There are lots of other options below but you don't need to touch those to get your email up and running, well I didn't anyway. I hope all this works, please let me know.

Its sorted. I only have been using the iphones a year and only now I have the email sorted :D:D

Great news !!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Ted555

Rambo wrote: »

this might help

http://www.donal.ie/2009/12/29/adding-eircom-net-mail-to-iphone/

use pop3 does not work imap

do not use ssl

and leave the outgoing mail1.eircom.net

username and password blank

try that out works fine for me ok
    Thanks Rambo
    This should be a sticky
    Three.ie and Couldnt help me with this
    I think what's causing everyone probes is they are entering a username and password on the outgoing settings

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭kenwood

SafetyManager,

Thanks a bunch, been trying everything untill I came across this thread

Hi Kenwood,

It's great to think my extended efforts to get this sorted have helped others, I was having a bad day and this has made it good. Thank you very much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

I'm gonna make it my mission to wean new iPhone users off eircom mail. Seriously they're in the dark ages with their mail service. It's 2012 and people shouldn't have this much hassle setting up a mail account.

1. Set up a gmail address
    2. Forward your eircom mail to your gmail
    3. Set up the gmail on your iPhone.
    4. As your mails come in reply to them using your gmail address, eventually everyone will use your gmail for correspondence.
    5. Going forward use your gmail as point of contact.

Eventually the eircom mail well get less and less use and it can be consigned into the bin where it deserves to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

I'm gonna make it my mission to wean new iPhone users off eircom mail. Seriously they're in the dark ages with their mail service. It's 2012 and people shouldn't have this much hassle setting up a mail account.

1. Set up a gmail address
    2. Forward your eircom mail to your gmail
    3. Set up the gmail on your iPhone.
    4. As your mails come in reply to them using your gmail address, eventually everyone will use your gmail for correspondence.
    5. Going forward use your gmail as point of contact.

Eventually the eircom mail well get less and less use and it can be consigned into the bin where it deserves to be.

yawn.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

kaizersoze wrote: »
    yawn.gif

you tired, bro?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 corksev

Knine wrote: »
    Hya

I have followed the info above and I'm still getting the following message

'The user name or password for "Eircom" is incorrect'

Any ideas on what I am doing wrong?

Thanks

Knine,
    As Rambo stated you use following details:

IPhone Settings are as below: (androids are also similar)
    POP Account information
    NAme: Your Name
    Address: Your email address
    Description: Eircom or your choice

Incoming Mail server:
    Host Name: webmail.eircom.net or mail1.eircom.net
    User Name: You type here your user name
    PAssword: You type here your password

Outgoing Mail server
    Go into SMTP
    Go into Primary Server
    Host Name: mail1.eircom.net
    User Name: Leave this area blank, do not type anything ("Optional" is there by default)
    name Password: Leave this area blank, do not type anything
    Use SSL OFF
    Authentication > Password
    Server Port 25 (server port 587 is not working with mine)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

The smtp setting for eircom won't send if you're away from your home WiFi and on 3 or VF etc. for that you need to have your 3 or VF SMTP settings entered.

I read my emails from iphone; when I log into eircom web on internet my emails are marked as unread.
    Does anybody knows how to make web page to mark my emails as read when I read from Iphone?

• Advertisement

whiterebel wrote: »
    The smtp setting for eircom won't send if you're away from your home WiFi and on 3 or VF etc. for that you need to have your 3 or VF SMTP settings entered.

I am using Vodafone connection at work and UPC at home. With above settings I can send and receive emails both from work and from home no problem. Both connections are Wifi. I tried both with sim card and without simcard all is working fine.

Advertisement