Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC 50Mb - WiFi max speed?

• 11-05-2011 9:49pm

Im thinking of going onto the 50Mb and would like to know, from anyone that has it, whats the max speed you get over wifi?

I get 21Mb over wifi, and yeah I know thats quite good for G but what are people experiance with N?

If N doesnt increase speed, then there is no point in going up to 50Mb from 25Mb.

Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Im thinking of going onto the 50Mb and would like to know, from anyone that has it, whats the max speed you get over wifi?

I get 21Mb over wifi, and yeah I know thats quite good for G but what are people experiance with N?

If N doesnt increase speed, then there is no point in going up to 50Mb from 25Mb.

Thanks,

Depends on the wireless card you're using, and if your router is any good. N speeds can vary quite a lot.

I tested a wireless-N card with my Thomson modem. Got varying speeds from 60-80mbps. Which in fairness, is very good. But if you definitely want to get a constant speed, then just use ethernet cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Smeghain

Max you will get with G is about 23mb on wifi, i know cos ive had the 50mb installed, get a half decent N card and ya should get the full whack....i get 49.45mb when i have it hardwired

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Captain Commie

Im using the built in N card on my acer laptop and am getting full wack on it, speedtest in my sig was done last night shortly after i got it all setup over wifi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

If you're serious about needing that speed, then you'll be using an Ethernet connection anyway. Wifi is far too unreliable, and susceptible to interference and other factors that will limit it. It could work if you have 802.11N, but it may not in all cases. Even if it does work now, that might not remain the case.

Thanks for the responces lads. Think I might just stick with 25Mb and if I do go onto the 50Mb get a 5m ethernet cable anf forget about the wireless. Afterall the modem/router is only 2-4m away from computer most of the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭johnwoods

As others have said N ranges in speeds.

Think of it this way @ 25Mbps internet you should be getting about 2.5 MegaBytes a second download speed (which is absolute maximum on G)

@ 50Mpbs you should be getting at a maximum about 5 MegaBytes a second (i.e. a 700 Megabyte movie in 2 and a half minutes)

N Wireless will definitely support 50Mbps and beyond.

Two things to bear in mind

1. Fast N wireless uses the 5Ghz spectrum it's a higher frequency that the 2.4Ghz that G uses and as such cannot penetrate obstacles as well as G.

Therefore the signal will be weaker than G when your are not close to the router. (doesnt matter if your house/apartment is small)

2. N theoretically supports I think up to 600mpbs with Quad band wide channel mimo. but to get this you need to have a rocking router and a modern wireless card in your computer.
    I have an Apple time capsule at home which is dual band wide channel and I get 300mbps connection on it, which realistically translates as about 15 Megabytes a second when transfering files between two machines connected on it.

Thus you need to be on a 100mpbs wireless N connection to support your 50mpbs internet connection.

hope this helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

What's the max speed of the UPC wifi router?
    Is it wireless N?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

What's the max speed of the UPC wifi router?
    Is it wireless N?
    you have to bare in mind that if any device on your network doesnt have N class wireless, and only B (god forbid) or G then your router throttles EVERYTHING down to G 54mbps.

the only way to circumvent this is to have a dual band (with built indual radio) router, and a wireless card to match on the machine you want full speed on. then all G limited stuff can get their 54mbps and N stuff can get their 5ghz badass 100-450mbps.

EDIT: and to answer your question, the Thomson router is N class and the Cisco EPC2425 is G.

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    you have to bare in mind that if any device on your network doesnt have N class wireless, and only B (god forbid) or G then your router throttles EVERYTHING down to G 54mbps.

the only way to circumvent this is to have a dual band (with built indual radio) router, and a wireless card to match on the machine you want full speed on. then all G limited stuff can get their 54mbps and N stuff can get their 5ghz badass 100-450mbps.

EDIT: and to answer your question, the Thomson router is N class and the Cisco EPC2425 is G.

So the real answer I want is that I'll keep my existing wifi router connected additionally for non-N devices and only allow the UPC wireless router to connect to my N laptop.

Something to consider seeing as most people will have phones connecting to their wifi a lot...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

So the real answer I want is that I'll keep my existing wifi router connected additionally for non-N devices and only allow the UPC wireless router to connect to my N laptop.

Yes that is a good strategy, make sue to set the UPC wifi router to N-only in the settings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭who is this

bk wrote: »
    Yes that is a good strategy, make sue to set the UPC wifi router to N-only in the settings.

It doesn't have that as an option.

It doesn't have that as an option.

Just don't allow any non-N devices to connect to it.
    BTW whats the login details to access the modem?

Got it blank/admin....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Tea_Bag wrote: »

Anyone know if the xbox 360 slim is a wireless n?

Ive a wireless N router to broadcast my network, and the new xbox, but the laptop which is a b/g connection usually on too... so if the xbox is wireless N and the laptop is on and connected to the same network, the total speed will be at 56mbps b/g!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

-=al=- wrote: »

Ive a wireless N router to broadcast my network, and the new xbox, but the laptop which is a b/g connection usually on too... so if the xbox is wireless N and the laptop is on and connected to the same network, the total speed will be at 56mbps b/g!?

yeah the xbox 360 slim has built in 802.11n :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Yes.
    Slight correction though, its 54mbps.

Yeah its 54Mb as said above in previous post, however the max speed you'll actually get will be around 20-23Mb max.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Just got it today and installed . Without playing around with any settings these are my wireless results .

1303522512.png

Are they with a dongle you already had/built into comp or with the one UPC supply?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Are they with a dongle you already had/built into comp or with the one UPC supply?

Just with the wi-fi on laptop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Just now...two rooms away from modem, on wireless-N laptop

1306347262.png

50 Mbs UPC, Dublin 8, installed Wednesday 18th .

• Advertisement
Advertisement