Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

KMC MissingLink not fitting my Dura-Ace 7900 chain

• 11-05-2011 9:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭

I'm having difficulty fitting a 10-speed KMC MissingLink with a Dura-Ace 7900 chain. I can insert the link halves into the DA chain without any difficulty, however, they don't go through far enough for the groove to protrude from the other side so that they can be locked together.

Is there a known compatibility issue between these? My googling skills couldn't find information on any. I've tried as hard as my thumbs would allow. Should they require much force when being pushed through the chain? The packaging states that the MissingLink is compatible with both Shimano 10-Speed and KMC 10-Speed chains. 4 link halves came in the packet and I've tried every combination.

I've already sized the chain so if I were to use the connecting pin I'll be a link shorter than I'd like to be.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

I'm running the same chain with the KMC links and it fits perfect. Mine slipped together without any issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭ktz84

I've had that one with a set of pins. When I examined them closely it could be seen that there was very slight indentation on the pinhead itself, as if someone had tried to fit it with a chain tool, however the package definitely never opened so not sure how got in that condition. I tried fixing but nothing worked. Just used another set and went straight on. May just be bad luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

Both the chain and the links are straight out of the packet (but bought some time ago)

Z3tBb.jpg

ktz84 wrote: »
    I've had that one with a set of pins. When I examined them closely it could be seen that there was very slight indentation on the pinhead itself, as if someone had tried to fit it with a chain tool, however the package definitely never opened so not sure how got in that condition. I tried fixing but nothing worked. Just used another set and went straight on. May just be bad luck.
    To my naked eye they look fine. As mentioned, there are 4 halves and no combinations work with the chain although they all connect fine with each other without the chain. The chain could be the problem. Seeing as I bought it a while ago and have resized it I might just have to chalk it down a loss:(

With the link in the above position,have you put tension on the chain to lock the link into place? It looks very close but hard to say.

• Advertisement

With the link in the above position,have you put tension on the chain to lock the link into place? It looks very close but hard to say.
    I have put as much tension as I can on it.

Is one side seeming to give more problems than the other? If so try a pair of small pliers or tweezers over that end to help it in. Much easier to control than clumpy fingers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 168 ✭✭Al Wright

I use the Campag version KMC link 10 link and find that they are almost allways tight to fit new. Using a pliers as illustrated in attached sketches makes it easier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Zorba

The Kmc links themselves could be the problem, happened to me last yr the links i got with the kmc chain wouldn't lock together because they were faulty had to get new links but ended up using a BBB link in the meantime and it's worked fine since.

Lemag wrote: »
    I have put as much tension as I can on it.

Bugger. :mad:

• Advertisement

ktz84 wrote: »
    Is one side seeming to give more problems than the other? If so try a pair of small pliers or tweezers over that end to help it in. Much easier to control than clumpy fingers.
    Seems to protrude by about the same amount on both sides. I've tried everything that I can think of so far with pliers and a chain breaker but no luck so far.

Not looking good. Never had 2 sets of bad links so I'd be surprised if both are faulty but you never know.

Al Wright wrote: »
    I use the Campag version KMC link 10 link and find that they are almost allways tight to fit new. Using a pliers as illustrated in attached sketches makes it easier.
    Bingo!!!

Great suggestion Al Wright. Thanks a mil'.

EjFYr.jpg

yndJU.jpg

o4cRv.jpg

SpxR0.jpg

Great photos Lemag. Really shows the process very clearly. Glad you got it sorted. I'll remember what to do if I ever run into the same issue.

Great stuff. Thanks for the photos. Will have to remember that one if I become stuck again. It might be easier than fiddling with the pliers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭ckeego

Great step by step LeMag.

Can I ask a quick question on this? I made a schoolboy error last week fitting a DA 7800 chain (basically fitted the chain perfectly but then remembered that the new cassette was 11-28 and therefore too big to shift into with the new chain)

To tempo solve this, I joined the chain in 2 places with 2 powerlinks. How reliable is this with a narrow chain such as this?

Also, are Shimano gear cable kits interchangeable (ie can you use a Dura Ace cable set with an Ultegra groupset?)

Many thanks for the photos!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

ckeego wrote: »
    Great step by step LeMag.

Can I ask a quick question on this? I made a schoolboy error last week fitting a DA 7800 chain (basically fitted the chain perfectly but then remembered that the new cassette was 11-28 and therefore too big to shift into with the new chain)

To tempo solve this, I joined the chain in 2 places with 2 powerlinks. How reliable is this with a narrow chain such as this?

Also, are Shimano gear cable kits interchangeable (ie can you use a Dura Ace cable set with an Ultegra groupset?)

Many thanks for the photos!

The powerlinks are just as strong as regular ones in my experience, and there's no problem using any cable set, so long as they are long enough!

No worries The tax man, ktz84 and ckeego. Make sure that the twine is quite long (about 50cm) to make things easier. An alternative method to try (whic didn't actually work for me) would be to have the link on the top part of the chain run, hold closed the rear brake and sharply (perhaps with a kick) rotate the crackset forward. In my case a push was needed rather than a pull, I guess.
    I'm not too sure how you could perfectly fit a chain without taking the largest cassette ring into consideration. The method which I use is to place the chain on to the largest cassette ring at the back and the larger ring on the chainset. I then pull taut and overlap by 2 or 3 links (whichever would result in a suitable linking pair). To accommodate the KMC MissingLink I shortened this measurement by 1 link.
    I'm sure that Shimano would recommend against this but, as it's my first time fitting a 'quick link' I can't speak from experience. Incidentially, I've had a few of Shimano's connecting links slip out in the past.
    Probably. If they fit then you're fine. Cables are cables. There are less expensive alternatives out there to Shimano. Something to look out for is to make sure that the housing (brake and gear) can accommodate the choosen respective cables.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭ckeego

No worries The tax man, ktz84 and ckeego. Make sure that the twine is quite long (about 50cm) to make things easier. An alternative method to try (whic didn't actually work for me) would be to have the link on the top part of the chain run, hold closed the rear brake and sharply (perhaps with a kick) rotate the crackset forward. In my case a push was needed rather than a pull, I guess.I'm not too sure how you could perfectly fit a chain without taking the largest chainring into consideration. The method which I use is to place the chain on to the largest cassette ring at the back and the larger ring on the chainset. I then pull taut and overlap by 2 or 3 links (whichever would result in a suitable linking pair). To accommodate the KMC MissingLink I shortened this measurement by 1 link.
    I'm sure that Shimano would recommend against this but, as it's my first time fitting a 'quick link' I can't speak from experience. Incidentially, I've had a few of Shimano's connecting links slip out in the past.
    Probably. If they fit then you're fine. Cables are cables. There are less expensive alternatives out there to Shimano. Something to look out for is to make sure that the housing (brake and gear) can accommodate the choosen respective cables.

Many thanks Lemag for the detailed answers! I got it all sorted today as had a few spare hours between painting walls and waiting for 2nd coats.

The upshot was rather than buying a Shimano kit to replace the gear cables, ferrules etc, the kind people at Fitzcycycles had me sorted within a few minutes with ferrules, covers and outers..Total cost 2.50! I had a couple of Clarke cables in a box, so much better than the 40 odd euro for the Shimano boxed kit!

The chain was salvageable in the end using a SRAM 10s link. Shifting very well now apart from the big cassette ring. I found out the reason for that tonight is that the current 11-28 cassette is not "fully" compatible with the Ultegra 6600 derailleur. It shifts and runs fine, but not quite as good as it should!

As with all maintenance and DIY, all help and tips are welcomed, you will feck it up once and learn from it, but when it all works out it feels satisfying!!!
    Ride well and safe and thanks again for the help

• Advertisement

No worries ckeego. Glad you got your bike sorted. I just noticed a typo in my message where I'd typed 'chainring' instead of 'cassette ring' as it should have been. I've just edited the message to prevent any confusion it may have caused to anyone else stumbling on to this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Thats a pretty common issue with split links, usually I use a pliers too, or try shock load it in.

But where were you when I needed you, kona :confused:;)

But where were you when I needed you, kona :confused:;)

I dont know! Probably fitting a split link :p
    or moaning about **** bikes

kona wrote: »
    or moaning about **** bikes
    That'd be consistent ;)

That'd be consistent ;)

If ya can be anything, be consistant! :pac:

Advertisement