Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help

• 11-05-2011 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭

hi in need advice on explair job.to vent my cooker is it safe to cut two inches out of each seven inch kitchen celing joist to vent to outside?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Simple answer is no.

Why only 2"? Is the pipe not 4"?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

snyper wrote: »
    Simple answer is no.

Why only 2"? Is the pipe not 4"?
    no .the roundy extendable metal stuff is 4 inch,but you can also get a plastic 2inch x4inch vent.[including a reducer piece to suit the roundy stuff]im just not sure if its safe to cut even 2 inches out of the joists to suit this method[7 joists]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Irish Fire

Maudi wrote: »
    hi in need advice on explair job.to vent my cooker is it safe to cut two inches out of each seven inch kitchen celing joist to vent to outside?

+ 1 with Snyper. That duct you are talking about was designed to run along the top of the presses in a kitchen because if you used extract pipe you would see it, is the hood far from the outside wall?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

Irish Fire wrote: »
    + 1 with Snyper. That duct you are talking about was designed to run along the top of the presses in a kitchen because if you used extract pipe you would see it, is the hood far from the outside wall?
    yea tis quiet a bit from outside wall.maybe 18 foot,any suggs for venting?didnt want to box venting along wall but lookin like il have to.or maybe directly up thru celing.box vent in bedroom and out thru attic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Oops. It's not construction but the principle is the same. No structural advice to be given.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Paul.C

If it were me I wouldnt touch the joists, Id find an alternative like drill straight out the wall. If that wasnt possible id build a bulkhead and skim over it. If possible you could build a fake wall on top of your kitchen presses to house the extraction tube.

Advertisement