Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VB Question

Options
  • 11-05-2011 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,703 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Im gonna start a little side project soon, just for fun. Ive only ever done one module of VB but Im gonna write it in that, I did some Java and the VB was easier.

I want to write a program that will update an online database. Is this hard to do? The database will be on my own hosting so I'll have access to it. Ive done a bit of SQL too but Im guessing I'll have to incorporate a good bit of that too?

Also I want to have multiple forms in the program itself, but I think the Me.Hide and Form2.Open looks cack, so is there anyway to have multiple forms in a tab format, something like the way Firefox or Chrome would have tabs?

Also am I in way over my head? As I said, im doin it as a hobby, so I dont mind putting in the effort to learn what needs to be learned

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

VB6 or VB.net?
    ColHol wrote: »
    I want to write a program that will update an online database. Is this hard to do?
    No.
    The database will be on my own hosting so I'll have access to it. Ive done a bit of SQL too but Im guessing I'll have to incorporate a good bit of that too?
    What kind of database and what kind of hosting. Don't assume that you can connect from a VB app (and I'm presuming that you don't mean a web app i.e. website)
    Also I want to have multiple forms in the program itself, but I think the Me.Hide and Form2.Open looks cack, so is there anyway to have multiple forms in a tab format, something like the way Firefox or Chrome would have tabs?
    Like a tabstrip control?
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/155009
    Also am I in way over my head? As I said, im doin it as a hobby, so I dont mind putting in the effort to learn what needs to be learned

Thanks in advance!
    I can't answer that as I don't know what you know or plan on doing. However, if I were you I'd look at VB.net rather than VB6 (if you are using VB6).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,703 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

kbannon wrote: »
    What kind of database and what kind of hosting. Don't assume that you can connect from a VB app (and I'm presuming that you don't mean a web app i.e. website)
    It would be an SQL database hosted on either an Apache server or Microsoft, whichever works best I guess. Ideally it would be the database behind either a Joomla or Zencart based website. Is this possible?
    I can't answer that as I don't know what you know or plan on doing. However, if I were you I'd look at VB.net rather than VB6 (if you are using VB6).

Yeah I'll be using .net alright

Basically I want to build an app which will download a database when it starts, so you can add/edit products on the VB app, then update the online website. Is it too much too soon?

1. You mean a MySQL database. SQL is a language used with databases.
    2. What is wrong with the admin features behind Joomla or Zencart (I'm not familiar with either)?
    3. I presume that you could interact with a database behind Joomla or Zencart. However, do you fully understand the schema within the DB so that you can go into it and make changes without buggering it all up?
    4. Double check that your hosting a/c will let you connect to your DB remotely. Some don't allow it.
    5. Too soon? You would have to answer that yourself (but based on your comment about downloading the database and then re-uploading it, I'd be inclined to think that it may be too much). However, who are you doing this for (yourself or a client)? If for a client, are you getting paid for it? What happens if it goes pear shaped? Are you planning on syncing with the online database, linking right into it or taking a copy and then updating the live after you make various changes (which you seem to suggest)?

kbannon wrote: »
    1. You mean a MySQL database. SQL is a language used with databases.
    Yeah, MySQL is what I meant :o
    2. What is wrong with the admin features behind Joomla or Zencart (I'm not familiar with either)?
    Nothing wrong with it at all, as I say its just a side project to keep me busy
    3. I presume that you could interact with a database behind Joomla or Zencart. However, do you fully understand the schema within the DB so that you can go into it and make changes without buggering it all up?
    Yeah I'll have access to it via the phpmyadmin control panel. So I can tinker around with it as needs be and if I do any damage it wont be too much to restore it. I wont even be tinkering around with a live site, Im gonna set up a dummy site to play around with. I just want to brush up on my SQL and programming skills so I doing this as it incorporates both. If it works out I may use it somewhere down the line.
    5. Too soon? You would have to answer that yourself (but based on your comment about downloading the database and then re-uploading it, I'd be inclined to think that it may be too much). However, who are you doing this for (yourself or a client)? If for a client, are you getting paid for it? What happens if it goes pear shaped?
    Nope, as I say its just a project. If it all goes pear shaped I'll either try again or throw my laptop out the window :)
    Are you planning on syncing with the online database, linking right into it or taking a copy and then updating the live after you make various changes (which you seem to suggest)?

Good question, which would be easiest or best practice?

A direct link onto the live data would be the easiest to work with (by a long shot) but comes with its own issues (e.g. its live data)

• Advertisement

Ok thanks for your help! I'll look into it a bit more and see what happens.

If anybody else has any advice or tips feel free to jump in!

Advertisement