Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nearly there, just two things.

Options
  • 11-05-2011 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭

In the process of making my first build and two things have me stumped.

The case came with a fan and I can't find the place to power the fan. It has one of these connections, nowhere seems to accomadate it (http://www.ag.ndsu.edu/archive/accs/support/maintenance/images/molex.jpg)

Second thing is powering the GPU. I have a HD 5850. Do I just plug the PCI cable straight into it? Or is there more to it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

You should find one on the PSU, although I think they're being phased out in some PSUs. If the fan has the small 3 or 4 pin connector, you can connect it to the motherboard.

Slot the 5850 into the PCI-E slot and connect the 1 or 2 PCI-E connectors and it's job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Floodric

Cheers, got the fan. With regards the GPU, there are two seperate 6pin inputs. does it matter which one I use? Their are no instructions with it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

Floodric wrote: »
    Cheers, got the fan. With regards the GPU, there are two seperate 6pin inputs. does it matter which one I use? Their are no instructions with it

You need to use both :)

Cheers lads got it all hooked up. Bad news is I plugged it in and hit the power button and I got nothing. Anyone ideas? I know it could be loadsa things, dont know where to start

Cheers lads got it all hooked up. Bad news is I plugged it in and hit the power button and I got nothing. Anyone ideas? I know it could be loadsa things, dont know where to start

Simple one, check your front panel connectors first, check they are all in the right place on the motherboard. If that doesnt work, I'd imagine its a short somewhere. All of your standoffs installed ?

• Advertisement

Checked all the front panel connectors, everythings right. I only got 8 stand offs, and there are 9 holes. Is that a problem?

Could be, most cases come with them and your motherboard should have some too so you should be able to make 9 out of both of them, if not, a pack of them only cost a few euro. I have a feeling this could be the problem.

How'd that be a problem? What should I be looking out for if ya get me?

Thanks a lot

How'd that be a problem? What should I be looking out for if ya get me?

Thanks a lot

Normally the standoffs stop the board shorting , and the fact that the PC wont turn on at all leads me to believe that theres a short somewhere, this missing standoff seems the most logical source of the short. Usually if theres a short the PC wont turn on at all.

Found one of the plastic stand offs, I'll put it in and see if it helps. Thanks

• Advertisement

Found one of the plastic stand offs, I'll put it in and see if it helps. Thanks

That'll work fine, let us know how you get on

What do i need for a simple start up? Just CPU and RAM?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

What do i need for a simple start up? Just CPU and RAM?

and the gfx card so you can see things on a screen....... ;)

Tried to start it with the new stand up and still no joy. Going through me head at the moment. Any suggestions?

You could try taking it out of the case and assembling it on top of your motherboard box, I'd give you instructions but I'm shattered tired, google it and there will be a guide on how to do it somewhere.

Might try that. What would the benefit be, just more space and easier to get at everything?

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭The Omen 666

have a look at this, it may help... it may not but not a bad vid to go thru things that could prevent your new build from POSTing

http://youtu.be/YKhCQmKAmEM

if u take it out of the case to check components, u rule out the case being part of the problem

Ill have a look at the video tomorrow, no speakers at the moment. How would I power it on (No power button)

video shows a way to do it, not sure if its recommended or not tho but it shows u anyway. some new mobos have a power button on the mobo itself, u could check ur manual to make sure...it may say something about that

what make is ur mobo, what mobo is it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

:pac: did you turn on your psu switch (the button on I instead of O)? or the power cable connect to the board? (there was a time i forget the mobo power cable)

Mob: http://www.scan.co.uk/products/msi-p67a-gd53-%28b3%29-intel-p67-s-1155-pci-e-20-ddr3-2133-sata-6gb-s-sata-raid-atx-sli-xfire

CPU power have anything to do with it? Everythings plugged in, switched on. Getting nothing, no bleeps or fans. Could the Mobo be dead?

what exactly is everything? Is it still installed in the case at this point or set up outside the case now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Do you have the 8 pin and 24 pin connectors from the PSU to the board?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭gloobag

A few years back now, but I used to work for Dell computers doing repairs on any dodgey systems before they shipped. By far the number one reason for no power was a processor not seated correctly.

Try reseating the CPU, and make sure you reapply themal paste. Also, try powering up with just CPU and one DIMM (although memory rarely causes this issue), if you have more than one, cycle through them one at a time to rule out any that may be a dud. Unplug anything that requires power except the mainboard connections (drives, GPU, etc...), and see if it'll power up like that.

Advertisement